Anyone here dips?

RC3

Since we are telling stories about quitting here is mine.

I started with Redman when I was 11 or 12. Used it for 4 or 5 years then started dipping. Kodiak then Copenhagen and finished out with Skoal until my mid 30s. A good 20 year run or so. Tried to quit many time along the way, but no luck. It was impossible to quit.

When I was about 34 I hurt my back and for the next 2 years the pain got progressively worse. At first some BC would stay off the pain then predinione helped for a while. By the end I was only able to sleep a couple hours a night because the pain was so bad. Even then I had to be in a certain spot just so in a recliner to ease the pain. One day I got up off the couch and the pain hit me like a baseball bat. Its hard to explain just how bad it was. I didn't know it was possible to feel that much pain and not just pass out from it. I hit the floor screaming. It was so bad I was scared to move.

After a ambulance ride to the hospital, I was on some really strong pain medicine only awake about 2 hours a day for a week or so I did a little praying and the hardest thing I could think of other than the pain was quitting dipping. I said if the pain got better I would stop dipping. Went to the neurologist had a MRI and S1 was crushed. (A disk very low in the back) I was getting ready for surgery to help stop the pain about a month later. I started to quit dipping and had to take less and less medicine for the pain. Within that month I had stopped dipping all together and the pain got to a point that I could function without any medicine at all.

The Doctor said I made it through something that most people can't without surgery. (Not sure if he was blowing smoke or not) Now the last 2 toes on my right foot have no feeling and I always have some discomfort from it. I think the nerves that were being pinched in my back went dead, but I make through every day ok and I haven't used tobacco in a good 6 years.

Sorry to be long winded.

• Like 2
I dipped briefly out of necessity during several army courses, but never as a habit. Having been around so many people who dipped I've always wondered how their wives and girlfriends handled that. My wife would never come near my mouth if there was dip in it, and I love kissing my wife.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had/have been quit for a few years now and really only had the urge when at shooting matches. They could crack a can and I could smell it across the bay. Started back this month with some Copenhagen Southern Blend. I can't say I have had any urges but I have had about 4 dips since the 1st. Maybe I can limit it to just gun related stuff.

I had/have been quit for a few years now and really only had the urge when at shooting matches. They could crack a can and I could smell it across the bay. Started back this month with some Copenhagen Southern Blend. I can't say I have had any urges but I have had about 4 dips since the 1st. Maybe I can limit it to just gun related stuff.

Kind of how mine is only when driving. And I can go without dipping, but the craving always finds a way back.

Grizzly Wintergreen for me.

I started dipping Swedish Snuss while I was still in the UK, to help me quit smoking. Well, my first trip to the US in '04 & I forgot to pack any. I was really starting to crave badly & bought my first can of Skoal Bandits in Wintergreen. HOLY HELL! Talk about a revelation! Snuss is salt cured & quite unpalatable compared to sweet, sweet Skoal! 

I progressed from Bandits to Pouches & finally to Long-Cut a few years ago & traded Skoal for Grizzly 3 years back. I try not to dip to big or too often (I hate to see guys smuggling a golf ball in their lip!) & a can usually lasts me 3 or 4 days.

One day I'll get off it, but I know from quitting the ciggies, that my mind has to be in the right place & there's no point in trying to force myself.

As a smoker, belcher and prodigious farter I must say dipping and/or chewing is the nastiest habit a man can have.  :lol:

I dipped a little in Jr. High (Hawken) and tried Copenhagen a few years ago in an attempt to ease myself off the smoking but that stuff is like injecting nicotene directly into the brain.  Felt like I'd been knocked upside the head with a hammer.

Grizzly Wintergreen for me.

I started dipping Swedish Snuss while I was still in the UK, to help me quit smoking. Well, my first trip to the US in '04 & I forgot to pack any. I was really starting to crave badly & bought my first can of Skoal Bandits in Wintergreen. HOLY HELL! Talk about a revelation! Snuss is salt cured & quite unpalatable compared to sweet, sweet Skoal! 

I progressed from Bandits to Pouches & finally to Long-Cut a few years ago & traded Skoal for Grizzly 3 years back. I try not to dip to big or too often (I hate to see guys smuggling a golf ball in their lip!) & a can usually lasts me 3 or 4 days.

One day I'll get off it, but I know from quitting the ciggies, that my mind has to be in the right place & there's no point in trying to force myself.

I use a small amount and a can usually last anywhere from a week to two.

I started out with Skoal and occasionaly a can of Copenhagen (which nearly knocked me out the first time I tried it). Then I tried "Rooster Wintergreen" and thought I had died and went to tobacco heaven. Dipped that stuff for about 3 years and then the dentist found some spots in my cheek that he told me would turn into cancer if I didn't stop dipping. So I got some nicotene gum and chewed it for about a week when I first quit the dipping and haven't dipped since. For me, quitting dipping was 10 times easier than quitting smoking.

4 years tobacco free here. Smoked what would burn for several years and thought I would switch to snuff to help my lungs. Little did no know then my cardiovascular system would suffer even more.Then a buddy called one day to tell me they found some spots in his jaw. That, combined with a video I watched about a man having a bone from his foot installed where his freakin jaw bone once resided was enough for me to put it down.

I put my foot in my mouth enough as it is ;)
  • Like 1
Copenhagen Original Long Cut. I used regular Cope and switched to Long Cut when it came out. It pretty much controls my life. I've never been successful at anything in life so doubt I'll ever quit. I think the only way I could is by taking some kind of drug. But then I'd just be controlled by the drug.
I've also been with a lot of women. Lol

Copenhagen Original Long Cut. I used regular Cope and switched to Long Cut when it came out. It pretty much controls my life. I've never been successful at anything in life so doubt I'll ever quit. I think the only way I could is by taking some kind of drug. But then I'd just be controlled by the drug.

Not sure if bragging or not  :rofl:

I will say that quitting is 90% mental. I never could dip Skoal after i started on cope. I tried skoal last month and it just made me sick. Cope just seems a natural taste to me.

You were successful in getting addicted to Copenhagen!  You are NOT without accomplishment. Stand tall!!

I used to use Skoal long cut straight. I used it to quit smoking then quit altogether. I did it for a year or two. A can would only last a day or so and I saw all the money I was wasting on it. I will say I did enjoy ot though. I liked it better than smoking really. If it were a perfect world and there were some that didn't affect your health I would be doing it now.
It is a mental thing. I fully believe anyone can quit given the proper motivation. For me it was the health factor , others its the money being spit out everyday. Some stories show people actually having mouth-tongue-tooth cancer and got the opposite lip packed full. Lol, unbelievable. ..

You were successful in getting addicted to Copenhagen! You are NOT without accomplishment. Stand tall!!

After I posted earlier I started doing some work here at the house and all afternoon/evening I been singing that "I'm Pretty Good At Drinking Beer" song. Seemed to fit.