My can has been dirty for a long time.  Been trying to clean it since I bought it but nothing has worked (its a third hand unit).  So I decided to try soda blasting.  A buddy was kind enough to let me dirty up his driveway and use his compressor and we gave it a go.  

These are a couple of shots of the can before trying the blaster.  

IMG_3312_zps46b6078f.jpg

IMG_3310_zps57e88174.jpg

That second one is a bad shot but you can see the build up a little bit on that first baffle.  I had actually cut a lot of it off with a razor blade before though. 

This is the first blaster that I tried.  

image_13747.jpg

And here are a few shots that I took after using it.  I found that for one, that small hopper was a nightmare.  And two, the blaster was made for larger media which also didn't help any.  But I did make some progress.  

IMG_3328_zps34f841dd.jpg

IMG_3331_zps2ea32847.jpg

This is a shot of the back of the baffles.  The little blaster worked pretty good on them.  

IMG_3332_zps1c703963.jpg

But I knew I wasn't going to make any real progress that way.  So I went bought a better blaster.  At least the hopper was larger.  And I was hoping the interchangeable nozzles would help but I bought the wrong ones.  

image_11227.jpg

And after a half hour or so yesterday, this is what I have now.  

IMG_3522_zpsf5202632.jpg

IMG_3523_zpsd47d77aa.jpg

IMG_3524_zpsad58a94c.jpg

You can see that there is still a bit of buildup in a few baffles but I was having a hard time with those.  That might just be too much for soda to get.  I might have to try a more aggressive media.  Regardless, I'm pretty happy.  Here is one more picture.  This is the inside of the blast baffle.  All that silver that you see was completely black.  I actually didn't know it was silver until I started blasting it.  

IMG_3521_zps887958de.jpg
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the build-up on the baffles just the usual powder residue with a bit of lead fouling?

What is the can made of?  Is it machined from one piece or is it an assembly.  If it's an assembly, are the pieces welded or brazed together?

I'm thinking of a chemical way to remove the deposits or at least soften/loosen them so they'll come off easily, without damaging the can itself. 

Is the build-up on the baffles just the usual powder residue with a bit of lead fouling?

What is the can made of?  Is it machined from one piece or is it an assembly.  If it's an assembly, are the pieces welded or brazed together?

I'm thinking of a chemical way to remove the deposits or at least soften/loosen them so they'll come off easily, without damaging the can itself. 

Probably more lead than powder.  The carbon tends to come off a bit easier and when I scrape this with a knife, it looks just like lead.  

Aluminum, which is why I went this way instead of trying the dip.  Its a one piece "monocore."

Probably more lead than powder.  The carbon tends to come off a bit easier and when I scrape this with a knife, it looks just like lead.  

Aluminum, which is why I went this way instead of trying the dip.  Its a one piece "monocore."

Doesn't the dip thrash aluminum baffles?  I used stainless tumbling for my HA can and it worked pretty well.

Yes, a strong hot alkaline cleaner is what I had in mind, but that'll kill aluminum in short order.

I'd try soaking it in boiling hot water for a few minutes prior to blasting it. Walnut shells or plastic media should work but as with any blasting, be mindful of your pressure, standoff, and dwell.

I soak mine in unleaded gas.  The gas eats the carbon and seems to work well.  I have an old aerosol can I cut the top off of.  I unscrew the suppressor, place it in the aerosol can and fill with gas. 

I'm going to try this next time.  Lot cheaper than Kroil

+1 on aerosol can

Edited by Static_USMC