2A Legal Symposium - UT College of Law

If anyone is really interested, there is a symposium on the "New Frontiers in the Second Amendment" being held at the UT College of Law on Saturday, March 1st at 9am.  Wish I could go, but some of you around Knoxville might find it interesting. 

Added:  It is FREE and open to the public, by the way.

Edited by midtennchip
  • Like 2

Who is speaking? Will it be pro-2A speakers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro v2.2

I am sure it will be a little of both.  I doubt you will here alot of argument for or against it, but rather just the perspective of law professor types on what the issues will be and how they expect the courts to deal with them.  Most legal symposiums are informational, rather than "for" or "against" any particular viewpoint.

• 2 weeks later...
Here is the video from the symposium. Even if you don't want to watch the whole video, I would encourage you to watch Glenn's opening comments (about 7 minutes). Remember, he is speaking mInly to legal types, but he lays out some issues that he believes the SCOTUS settled and other issues that are probably coming down the pike. Glenn is certainly a pro2A guy, so take his comments for the educational aspect.

http://sf.ites.utk.edu/utk/Catalog/Full/69b2283d03404c10931ee7ef73e9b0bf21 Edited by midtennchip
  • Like 1
I am watching the video in parts, so my comments above did not take into account some later video. If you really want to learn how the courts have dealt with the 2A (as opposed to just having someone advocate for a preferred position), this video is great. O'Shea covers the historical issues really well in the first 25-30 minutes. It is worth the time.

Tagged for later

Me too, appreciate it Chip -- I'm on dialup for a week, so can't watch them yet unless I go out and settle in at a Starbucks or Krystal or somewhere.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Edit Apparently I was watching the afternoon session first unknowingly.  Points still valid

well the mobile app lost sound about 16 mins into the video, so I will have to pick up more later, but this video is truly interesting and educational so far.

I really like the first speakers points on what constitutes "Arms" as to include self defense of any means, and how the school systems with Zero tolerance policies have violated that right by treating aggressors and defenders equally, and wrongly saying its  "unlawful, unethical, and in my contention unconstitutional."

Edited by Lumber_Jack
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...