Time to Cowboy up and build my own M14!!

Over the years, I have had somebody else do my barrel, bolt and headspace while I watch and learn.  Took quite a while to gather my tools a piece at a time and even longer to peruse the many threads getting my answers.  For those whose brain I have picked with PMs and the sharing of their posts full of priceless info,  I want to say "Thanks to you all".  

So here it is, my 1st scratch built M14 project...

The commercial barrel vise and receiver wrench came in the other day
M14BarrelViseandActionWrench.jpg

Pretty snug fit on my new Rock-Ola M14F...  excellent tool!!!
M14ActionWrenchReady.jpg

Chucked up my new JWolfe WMSW barrel.   VERY solid clamp.
487MEDIAIMAG0410.jpg

Hand tight put me at about 8 o'clock, the extreme upper limit.
M14ActionWrenchat730.jpg

Lubing both receiver and threads to prevent any galling.
487MEDIAIMAG0413.jpg

Ready to get it on and see how much grunt it's gonna take.
487MEDIAIMAG0418.jpg

WOOF!  1st snag... That 8 o'clock start is just TOOO much.  Had to disassemble everything and think a bit.  Got the books back out and after more surfing time, I made friends with turning the shoulder on my brand new barrel just a little to reduce my starting position.  A 7 o'clock start seemed to be most preferred so I went with that and slowly, methodically removed a couple thousands off the shoulder.  Finally, it arrived at my hand tightened target start point and I re-assembled all the action tools so the build could commence with more confidence behind it.

Bowed up and white knuckled with gritted teeth but "Got-her-DONE!"

A good 6 o'clock ramp and sight slots line up with rear sight base.
487MEDIAIMAG0425.jpg

Whooped out the "No-Go" gauge to see if all my prior calculations came true.
487MEDIAIMAG0424.jpg

Got all excited when the bolt would not close on it...  WHEW, bout 1.632!
487MEDIAIMAG0421.jpg

That's all for now while I gather some more parts but at the least the 1st major hurdle is DONE!    :up: 

My tools, so far...

Barrel Vise

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/vises-accessories/barrel-vises/barrel-vise-prod17199.aspx

Action Wrench

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/wrenches/action-wrenches-components/m14-m1a-m1-garand-rifle-action-wrench-head-prod25116.aspx?psize=96

Clymer Gauges

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/measuring-tools/headspace-gauges/go-no-go-gauge-sets-prod26876.aspx?avs|Manufacturer_1=CLYMER

I got out the bright light and found my previously driven LRB bolt's left lug was not even close to touching. 

Could see a gap with my naked eye.  Headspace was already near perfect so lapping was not an answer. 

Here's what the light test shows...

487MEDIAIMAG0431.jpg

Recently bought a new Fulton Armory bolt and it wont close all the way on the "GO" gauge so there's plenty room

to lap on this one.  The left lug is still just a tad off the receiver so it needs a good lapping anyways. 

Some easy boy time...  lapping in my new bolt!!

Brought out my handi dandy homemade bolt tension tool
487MEDIAIMAG0433.jpg

800 Grit makes a mirror finish BUT it's slow!
487MEDIAIMAG0437.jpg

Work it, Work it, Work it!
487MEDIAIMAG0435.jpg

Closes on the "Go" gauge but still a bit more to go.
487MEDIAIMAG0436.jpg

Skipped over a bunch of the assembly but here are links to some of the best vendors I have come across.  Their part quality and customer service have been top notch for me.  If you wanna build an M-14 platform rifle, it'd be hard to beat these guys.

James River Armory

Fulton Armory

Wolfe M-14 Barrels and Parts

Treeline M14 Parts

Windy City Sourcing 

Brownells

Where did you find that stock?

That was a GunJoker ricochet...  Fella sold the one I bidded on and I asked if he had more.  He replied there was about seven left.  He sent some pics and I jumped on the one that had the most figure to it.  Really sweet stick.  Tight fitting too.

I've always wondered if that stock was real or not... is that just purely an aftermarket stock or is there something like that Springfield has offered in the past?

Oh yeah, they are real... M14E2.

Originally a squad machinegun stock as issued in 1963 but found favor amongst other uses later on.