Buying C&R guns at a store and showing your license

A friend asked me if you wanted to buy a C&R gun at a store could you show your license and maybe get a discount or cut through paperwork. I told him I had never bought one at a store, and didn't know what to tell him. Anybody know?

[quote name="TrickyNicky" post="1118582" timestamp="1393710733"]I just assumed it wasn't worth the hassle for the store to be sure the gun was in compliance with C&R status. I've never asked though, maybe one of the vendors here can tell us how'd they'd handle it.[/quote] Most places are cool about it - just ask. The bigger advantage of the c&r is it allows you to buy out of state - so you can access a much wider marketplace - the whole country!
Guest ppardue1

I won't divulge the store's name so as to protect the guilty. I walked into a gun shop one day and ended up purchasing a C&R gun. I pulled out my license for precisely the reason of saving the $10 background check fee. The dealer takes a look and says, "You won't get anywhere trying to use your fake license on me." People like that along with the "All guns must go to a class 01 FFL" types on gunbroker make using a C&R frustrating some times.

Hopefully you will have an easier time using yours!

Guest TankerHC

I won't divulge the store's name so as to protect the guilty. I walked into a gun shop one day and ended up purchasing a C&R gun. I pulled out my license for precisely the reason of saving the $10 background check fee. The dealer takes a look and says, "You won't get anywhere trying to use your fake license on me." People like that along with the "All guns must go to a class 01 FFL" types on gunbroker make using a C&R frustrating some times.

Hopefully you will have an easier time using yours!

Had the exact same experience at a Gander Mountain trying to buy a Mosin. The counter guy didnt know what a C&R was so called the store manager. The store manager was on the phone and the counter guy explained to him that is was an 03 FFL. Store manager said no, we dont sell to dealers. Even after I explained that it wasn't a dealers license. Bottom line was a lack of knowledge on an 03 FFL, nothing negative on the counter guys part but I decided there are so many good deals online in most cases it isn't worth it anyway. 

I don't sweat it.  I try to use the C&R whenever possible.  A lot of stores don't really bother to understand the gun laws.  Lets face it, just keeping up with what they have to know to avoid jail is a pain!

But, if a store tells me that they don't accept the C&R, I generally make one attempt to educate them.  Then, I decide whether the deal is really good enough for me to want to give them my business.  At least half the time, I go elsewhere.  There are very few C&R guns that you can't find a better deal from someone willing to take the C&R.

• Like 1
[quote name="ppardue1" post="1118765" timestamp="1393733888"]I won't divulge the store's name so as to protect the guilty. I walked into a gun shop one day and ended up purchasing a C&R gun. I pulled out my license for precisely the reason of saving the $10 background check fee. The dealer takes a look and says, "You won't get anywhere trying to use your fake license on me." People like that along with the "All guns must go to a class 01 FFL" types on gunbroker make using a C&R frustrating some times. Hopefully you will have an easier time using yours![/quote]Why not divulge the store's name? It is important for C&R license holders to know where their business isn't welcome. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Guest ppardue1

Why not divulge the store's name? It is important for C&R license holders to know where their business isn't welcome. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, I didn't take it as my business not being welcome. The guy was genuinely ignorant about what a C&R was. He knew that it wasn't the same as his license and I think he concluded that I was trying to pull something on him. I went back another day and talked with his partner about it (the partner knows me much better) and he assured me that he would take my C&R any day. They're good folks to deal with, he just didn't know.

As 1gewehr said, gun laws are a so confusing I'm of the opinion that they are intentionally that way. I've seen so much ignorance on the part of people who should know otherwise that I don't get offended at it any more.