hunters safety course

Guest tangojuliet

Guest tangojuliet

ty sir well it looks there isnt any near clarksville good lord most are a good way off 

Edited by tangojuliet

Check the site regularly.  They update periodically.  My kiddo took hers at Bass Pro last summer.  It wasn't placed on the site until just about a month before it happened,

Edited by homeagain
  • Like 1
Guest tangojuliet

Check the site regularly.  They update periodically.  My kiddo took hers at Bass Pro last summer.  It wasn't placed on the site until just about a month before it happened,

will do 

Fort Campbell and Clarksville along with The Montgomery County Shooting Complex offer hunter safety courses throughout the year. With Turkey season coming up, some classes should be getting scheduled. Keep checking!

Dave

I had to drive to Cleavland, TN to get mine recently. I like near Springfield.....

yep, best to plan ahead, otherwise driving may be your only option.  My BIL decided he wanted to go hunting last fall, but decided too late and we couldn't find a class with available seats until after hunting season was over. 

Not sure who taught the class at the church, but the one my son and I attended last fall was taught by the guy who writes articles for the local paper someone else here might recall his name or as other have mentioned contact the shooting complex to get info, that was where we went to do the shooting part of the class.
  • 3 weeks later...
Was looking myself. Good lord, it's hard to work out something sensible. There's one in Dickson but I'd have to leave work early four days in a row (doable but I'd burn some brownie points). All the two day ones are about filled up (I'd have no trouble travelling to Nashville). I looked at the online option. Sounds great, either pay to do online or get the CD for free and then do a field day. Perfect. Except the only field day in Nashville is full up and all the rest of the ones listed are in Knoxville.

Who the heck is organizing this?

Do new field days open up at random times? No Nashville dates for the rest of the year seems insane.

Looks like I'll be having a word with my boss about clearing out early.

I am not going to say this is legal or illegal, but who says you have to take the Tennessee Hunter's Safety Course? There are 31 states that offer online hunter's safety courses. Some of these states do not require a field day. You just take the course, take the test and print your certificate. I believe all states accept certification from all other states. I took mine in Tennessee, but I have used it for Alabama, Alaska, Florida, Missouri, Kentucky, Georgia, Fort Campbell, and probably other places I have forgotten. 

I searched through several states listed on the site below. Alabama doesn't require a field day, but on the Alabama fish and game website there is a statement "must be an Alabama resident" to complete the online test. However, Texas also doesn't require a field day for hunters over the age of 16 and I could not find any restrictions on their website about residency being required to take their test. 

At the top of each state's page is a link to their DNR/Fish&Game pages. 

http://www.hunter-ed.com/

texas info page

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/outdoor-learning/hunter-education/faq

(a) Every person born on or after January 1, 1969, before hunting, shall possess, in addition to all other licenses and permits required, proof of satisfactory completion of an agency approved hunter education course…

It all hinges on what counts as an agency approved course. I'm not saying you're incorrect but I can't find anything that confirms it so far.

Here's some additional information I found:

From TWRA Region 2 website FAQ:

http://tn.gov/twra/region2/reg2faq.html

I took hunter education in another state when I was younger. Is this still good? Is this good in Tennessee? 
Tennessee has reciprocity with all members of the International Hunter Education Association (IHEA) and honors all other certifications of fellow IHEA members. You must have proper documentation to show proof of successful completion should you be checked by a TWRA Officer.

This web page claims to be approved by the state of Texas and meet the IHEA standards.

http://www.hunter-ed.com/texas/approved_hunting_course.html

Texas Fish and Game website links to the page above from their Hunter Education website.  Additionally, TN links to the same website. 

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/outdoor-learning/hunter-education/online-course-for-certification

To me, this seems to cover all the bases and make a full circle. If I needed a hunter safety course and couldn't get into a TN class, I would feel safe taking the Texas online class and printing my certificate as proof. 

If anyone has questions, I am sure the Regional TWRA office would be helpful in clearing up any confusion. If you call, please make sure you ask the right questions. 

Does Tennessee accept a hunter's safety certificate from Texas? Yes or No? That's really the only question TWRA needs to answer. I believe the answer to be "yes" based on the links above. 

There may be a question for Texas Fish and Game. Can an out of state hunter take the Texas online Hunter Safety course? Yes or No? I believe the answer to be "yes" based on the wording of the Texas Fish and Game website. They include out of state hunters in their statement and do not list any restrictions on who may take the online class. 

Every hunter (including out-of-state hunters) born on or after Sept. 2, 1971, must successfully complete a Hunter Education Training Course. Minimum age of certification is 9 years of age.

The Online Courses for Complete Certification are restricted to persons that are 17 years of age or older.

Upon successful completion of the course you can print out a Temporary Hunter Education Certificate. Your permanent Hunter Education card will be sent to you in the mail.

Pick an online course from the independent vendors below. Fee based on individual vendor. Carefully read and understand the particulars of the independent vendor's offering that you choose. Remember, the Online Courses for Complete Certification are restricted to persons that are 17 years of age or older.

So assuming that Tennessee accepts the Texas certificate, worst case scenario, you take the Texas class and spend 25.00 bucks and you get a letter from the State of Texas stating that you aren't going to get your permanent card. 

Again, this is all just an uneducated guess... If you are nervous about the situation, call TWRA and Texas Fish and Game.