eBay Alert folks might need to know about with craigslist!!!

A buddy of mine was getting ready to send the MoneyGram to purchase a Ford Ranger XLT and I told him to let me look into it before he sent the money. I checked with eBays security Department and this is what they sent me back and my buddy didn't send the money but we did report it to eBay security and sent the all the information the seller and fake eBay paperwork and eBay said they appreciated it and they will pursue it.
   Bersaguy

eBay   Alert: Auto scams on Craigslist

eBay's Vehicle Purchase Protection covers only certain vehicle transactions that are completed ON eBay.com. If a Craigslist seller "promises" you eBay protection programs, walk away. It is fraudulent. Learn more.
Common warning signs:

A great deal that sounds too good to pass up
    Seller can't meet in person because of a number of reasons (i.e., they are a soldier in Iraq or they left the vehicle in a "local shipping company")
    Seller claims to have made arrangements with eBay's Vehicle Purchase Protection or Finance Centers
    Seller requests payment by money wire via Western Union or MoneyGram

:squint: NEVER SEND A MONEYGRAM OR WIRE MONEY FOR A CAR EVER!!! :rant:

#2 don't ever buy a vehicle when the title is in someone's name other than the seller, and ,make sure there is no lien on it.

Always look up under the steering column for dirt dust and rust to make sure u didn't just buy a "flood vehicle"

Most, I say again most, not all, car sellers only want to sell a car and couldn't care if you and your family die in it a week later. It's a business and you are the target objective your money and all the add on crap they can sell u.. Edited by Dustbuster
  • Like 1
They've been pulling this one for a while.

Not long ago I stumbled across what i thought was a helluva deal. One of my "if I won the lottery" purchases would be a 1958 Plymouth Fury a.k.a. Christine. Guy listed one on Craigslist in Texas. Not a movie car, but a 58 none the less. Well the asking price wasn't stupid cheap , so cheap it screamed scam. Car looked decent, several different shots, engine, interior, etc.

Well I contacted the guy and for several days we talked back and forth and any requests for more pics were answered without hesitation. It soon got to the point of payment. And thats when I went into paranoid mode, lol. I like my money, and parting with it ain't easy .

To shorten up this yarn guy claimed to be a marine in Iraq and woukd be using ebay to transact the deal. That way we both we be covered. Not buying that BS I started searching to see if there was a 58 for sale elsewhere and he just stole the pics. Turns out a guy in Idaho was restoring one and had posted the progress pics on a mopar forum. Lmao.... Crooks, not as dumb as they appear....

Like somebody selling through Craigslist offers you an eBay guarantee and you wouldn't think it was bogus?

- OS

Bingo. All I needed to do was recite Sesame Street "one of these things is not like the other" hahaha
I found one of these a few weeks ago. 2005 Ford F150 completely decked out, only 50k miles. Located in Oklahoma and was a soldier getting ready to deploy so he was only asking 1/3rd of the vehicle value.
The truck was "being sold by Auto Trader" but was not on their site. Supposedly Auto Trader was holding the vehicle and would arrange transfer after the payment had been wired. The vehicle could not be viewed or picked up in person.
My FIL was tempted but I told him it had too many tips pointing to a scam.

Well I found my buddy another truck and he is going up and get it in Bowling Green KY Wednesday evening. Got to actually talk to the seller on teh phone and meeting the guy face to face to make the buy... I and another friend are going along to watch his back in case the deal is not a deal at all but something else. We will all be armed and ready for anything that may not go as planned. Guy is in military that is selling it so we are hoping it is on the up and up and every goes as planned.

They've been pulling this one for a while.

Not long ago I stumbled across what i thought was a helluva deal. One of my "if I won the lottery" purchases would be a 1958 Plymouth Fury a.k.a. Christine. Guy listed one on Craigslist in Texas. Not a movie car, but a 58 none the less. Well the asking price wasn't stupid cheap , so cheap it screamed scam. Car looked decent, several different shots, engine, interior, etc.

Well I contacted the guy and for several days we talked back and forth and any requests for more pics were answered without hesitation. It soon got to the point of payment. And thats when I went into paranoid mode, lol. I like my money, and parting with it ain't easy .

To shorten up this yarn guy claimed to be a marine in Iraq and woukd be using ebay to transact the deal. That way we both we be covered. Not buying that BS I started searching to see if there was a 58 for sale elsewhere and he just stole the pics. Turns out a guy in Idaho was restoring one and had posted the progress pics on a mopar forum. Lmao.... Crooks, not as dumb as they appear....

I'll share this since I'm somewhat tech savvy and didn't know about this until a few months ago.  You can right click any image, be it an an email, on a webpage anything else.  Save it in your downloads folder.  Then go to google images and you can do a web search on that image.  If that image has been posted elsewhere there is a good chance google will show you.    I've bought and sold a number of vehicles over the years, internet and otherwise, I've also walked away from a few "smoking deals."  Times are tough, people are not giving stuff away, if something doesn't seem right then it probably isn't, just walk away, more often times than not there is a legitimate listing for what you are looking for somewhere.  

I'm surprised anybody still falls for this type of scam.

I think most of it is everyone is looking for great deals and when they find one they get excited and don't do their homework and they end up out the money and nothing to show for it but a bunch of fake emails. I remembered my friend telling me that he called a number and let a message and got a phone call back. I called him and asked him for the areas code he called because these people selling the truck in the beginning show on Craigslist as being in Owensboro KY. Then the next email said that they had moved to Bluff City Montana to a new job and a new start after their son was killed and it was his truck yet the ad was only two days old. Then this lady said that Ebay had the truck stored and will deliver it when the deal is made. Ok back to the phone numbers. I checked the area code for Big Bluff Montana and it was 735. The number he called was an 805 area code which I ran and it tuned out to be in Fresno, California to leave his first message. The call he got from her in response to his message was from 632 area code which is in Texas. That told him right there is was a scam being run by disposable phones being bought all over the country. Then when he got the fake eBay paper work we printed it all off and sent it to eBay Security Department and they said they will follow up on it. The man I spoke with at eBay sounded very upset that they were using eBay in the scam. Gave them all the information we had including areas codes. I do hope they catch them but chances are they have moved on to a new sucker with new phones and new information................jmho 

• Like 1

I'll share this since I'm somewhat tech savvy and didn't know about this until a few months ago.  You can right click any image, be it an an email, on a webpage anything else.  Save it in your downloads folder.  Then go to google images and you can do a web search on that image....

Don't even have to save it if on a web page, just open another browser window to http://images.google.com and drag the image over to entry dialog and drop.

- OS

• Like 1