Firing pin strike off center

Dustbuster

was noticing yesterday after a range run, that the casings coming out of my 226 9 are showing primer strikes significantly off center.

Ive heard the word over the years about how a pistol thats repeatedly dry fired w no snap cap can cause this due to the hole becoming elongated or enlarged. I bought this one used ( not the one i have for sale), and have had zero issues with it. Someone also mentioned once that primers taking a side shot can cause poor ignition of a primer,causing innaccurate hits.

I know I can launch it off to sig for inspection but just figured Id err on the side of reasoning, and look for a local cure first.Dont wanna fix it till its broke, but if the strikes are off, they wont get better,and I dont want to wait on a FTF condition to creep up on me..thanx in advance

How is the barrel lock up?

Is it at all possible that the barrel lug or locking insert/block is damaged or not "fitted" in alignment?

Is it a new Stamped Slide or older one?

I don't have a Sig to compare, but looking at my Glock. It seems at some point the firing pin would hit the inside of the slide before it would go that far off center?

Of course the Sigs may have an elongated firing pin hole. Maybe it could possibly let the firing pin "fall" low enough to hit the primer rim and cause a failure to fire?

I'm thinking something is not "in line" between the barrel and breech face/ firing pin?

Than again I'm not a gun smith nor do I own a Sig.

If it were me I'd shoot it until it fails. Then I'd know I have a problem.

You could call Sig and ask them, but you'd probably get the generic "It's working, so all is fine" response.

Edited by TnShooter83
  • Like 1

Post a picture.

This.

The only way to fix an off center strike is to install a bushing. That is if the firing pin hole is drilled off center.

Sometimes a firing pin swipe can look like an off center hit. Replacing the recoil spring can help with firing pin swipes.

How many rounds through it? Not sure how often you are supposed to replace the recoil spring but with 1911s it should be between 1,000 and 1,500 rounds.

The only other thing that can cause off center hits is a broken firing pin.
  • Like 1

How is the barrel lock up?

Is it at all possible that the barrel lug or locking insert/block is damaged or not "fitted" in alignment?

Is it a new Stamped Slide or older one?

I don't have a Sig to compare, but looking at my Glock. It seems at some point the firing pin would hit the inside of the slide before it would go that far off center?

Of course the Sigs may have an elongated firing pin hole. Maybe it could possibly let the firing pin "fall" low enough to hit the primer rim and cause a failure to fire?

I'm thinking something is not "in line" between the barrel and breech face/ firing pin?

Than again I'm not a gun smith nor do I own a Sig.

If it were me I'd shoot it until it fails. Then I'd know I have a problem.

You could call Sig and ask them, but you'd probably get the generic "It's working, so all is fine" response.

Barrel lockup appears to be fine, not sure about any damage,slide is new from apr 2013,sig is pretty good about issues like this as its a function thing versus i have a scratch inside my barrel whine...didnt want to waste time w them in case there was something simple ive been missing...

This gun works fine,am just concerned with consistency and accuracy, nothing else in my fleet is off this far strike wise. Am using this for competition so am keeping a close eye on it. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.