check out this rock throwing contest i started

Law-nerd.:bowrofl:

Well if the intent of the law is to restrict "on duty" LEO's from going into a restaurant that happens to serve, for lunch, then the law and the law makers are even more F'n stupid than I thought. I definately see your p0int and understand the law that you posted, but I think you know how I feel.:bowrofl:

:bowrofl:

....and I do think they are stupid. :rofl:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So correct me if I'm wrong:

Isn't a LEO required to act if he sees a crime in progress anytime, whether on duty or not?

Don't most departments at least "strongly recommend" that their officers go armed all the time, even when off duty ( minus those times in which they are consuming alcohol )?

The people that write our laws are complete imbasals. :bowrofl:

Isn't a LEO required to act if he sees a crime in progress anytime, whether on duty or not?

Don't most departments at least "strongly recommend" that their officers go armed all the time, even when off duty ( minus those times in which they are consuming alcohol )?

I don't think so by law, but he may by directive of the department he works for.

I am an EMT, I have no legal duty to act when I am not working, but of course I would do whatever and whenever I could if needed.

Guest eyebedam
Guess its ok for them to get free meals from resturants and coffee from MAPCO because there are in uniform.

Man half of your comments are anti LEO. Almost like your jealous because of a few perks of there job. Are you a angry mall security guard or something.

It varies by department. If I am in my city than I am on duty. If I am in Memphis, I am a HCP holder.

It varies by department. If I am in my city than I am on duty. If I am in Memphis, I am a HCP holder.

Not exactly. With the HR resolution, can't remember the number but I bet Law Nerd:D can tell us, you are quiet more than a HCP holder as LE.

Not exactly. With the HR resolution, can't remember the number but I bet Law Nerd:D can tell us, you are quiet more than a HCP holder as LE.

I meant as far as liability is concerned. There is an interesting test going on with LEOSA(HR 218) in South Dakota right now.

There was an incident with a Police officer from Washington state who, during the Sturgis bike rally, used his weapon in self-defense and shot a hell's angel. The DA in South Dakota is challenging the legality of LEOSA, claiming it was never implemented on the Federal level, and has charged the officer with unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon. I will find more and post it.

there is a provision in Tennessee law that makes the LEO exempt to all off limit postings if he/she has a written department directive to always go armed. i can not find it right now, but i have seen that in the Tennessee code as well.

where i work, there is a sheriffs deputy that works there part time. no handguns in the building is in the employee handbook that all have signed. he falls under the must follow portion of the law. he is a Ga deputy, and he does not have a written directive issued from his PD.

Edited by cadillacdude1975
there is a provision in Tennessee law that makes the LEO exempt to all off limit postings if he/she has a written department directive to always go armed. i can not find it right now, but i have seen that in the Tennessee code as well.

where i work, there is a sheriffs deputy that works there part time. no handguns in the building is in the employee handbook that all have signed. he falls under the must follow portion of the law. he is a Ga deputy, and he does not have a written directive issued from his PD.

Did you see post 49?

A LEO does not need a directive from his/her department to always go armed. 39-17-1350 does mention a written directive but what it says is that the executive supervisor of his/her department can issue a directive that restricts carry.

But regardless of any directive LEOs are subject to the restriction in 39-17-1350©

Guest sermon8r

I am thankfull for the men and women who serve as LEO!!!!

I am ok with them going armed 24/7 365 anywhere anytime....

Now what can we do to get the HCP resturant law changes???

STOP GOING TO RESTURANTS THAT SERVE AND TELL THEM WHY

then the resturant industry will lobby the Capitol and NAZI Nafti and the law might get changed.

Use your most powerfull tool ...... $$$$$$$$

just think if all HCP holders stop going to Logans, Chillies, Fridays, Outback, etc....

this is from Tennessee.gov

"In October of 1996, the Department of Safety began issuing handgun carry permits pursuant to Public Chapter 905. Previous to this change, handgun carry permits were issued by local sheriff's offices. Since October 1996, the Department of Safety has issued more than 339,000 handgun carry permits."

339,000 less customers at say 15 bucks each eating out 3 times a week?

thats 79,326,000 a year loss if my calculations are correct.;)

I guess 80 million bucks would get someones attn.:2cents:

but i bet the average HCP would rather complain and eat at logans than do something about it.:tough:

I am thankfull for the men and women who serve as LEO!!!!

I am ok with them going armed 24/7 365 anywhere anytime....

Now what can we do to get the HCP resturant law changes???

STOP GOING TO RESTURANTS THAT SERVE AND TELL THEM WHY

then the resturant industry will lobby the Capitol and NAZI Nafti and the law might get changed.

Use your most powerfull tool ...... $$$$$$$$

just think if all HCP holders stop going to Logans, Chillies, Fridays, Outback, etc....

this is from Tennessee.gov

"In October of 1996, the Department of Safety began issuing handgun carry permits pursuant to Public Chapter 905. Previous to this change, handgun carry permits were issued by local sheriff's offices. Since October 1996, the Department of Safety has issued more than 339,000 handgun carry permits."

339,000 less customers at say 15 bucks each eating out 3 times a week?

thats 79,326,000 a year loss if my calculations are correct.:D

I guess 80 million bucks would get someones attn.:cheers:

but i bet the average HCP would rather complain and eat at logans than do something about it.:2cents:

+1

I am ok with many things...but because I am ok with it doesn't mean it may not be against the law.

I'm ok with anyone over the age of 18 carrying a firearm without a permit. It should be up to the government to prove they are disqualified for some reason instead of us having to prove we are.

339,000 sounds like a lot of people, but you have to remember it is only about 3% of the state's population.

If you owned a business and only 3 out of 100 complained about something, how much would you really care? That is assuming those 3 were even regular customers.

Don't get me wrong...I'm all for not patronizing a business and telling them why if you feel strongly enough about it. But in this case I don't think it would make a huge impact.

I also encourage people to contact their elected officials, but again...as long as one particular persons remains as Speaker of the House in TN, it won't make much of a difference. If you checked with each member of the house and asked them if they were in favor of Restaurant Carry, I guarantee you that a majority would say yes, but...they will never get the chance, because it is always killed in a stacked committee that will even get an extra vote if needed.

...and you're right I guess in that most people would rather bitch than do something about it...but if you can't come on the internet and bitch about stuff...where can you go? :cheers:

Forive the rant... been a long week.

yeah i saw #49, the written directive makes the LEO exempt when off duty, such as when a business posts correctly.

You are reading it wrong.

The first part says.

Notwithstanding any provision of law to the contrary, any law enforcement officer may carry firearms at all times and in all places within Tennessee, on-duty or off-duty, regardless of the officer's regular duty hours or assignments...

That part is saying that a TN LEO can carry anywhere and everywhere at anytime. On-duty, off-duty or no-duty. :D

Then second part places restrictions or conditions on that carry.

...except as provided by subsection ©, federal law, lawful orders of court or the written directives of the executive supervisor of the employing agency.

That part is giving 4 main restrictions/conditions.

1. The 4 places/situations in subsection ©

2. Any place off limits by federal law.

3. He/She must follow any lawful orders of the court in regards to carry.

4. He/She must follow any written directives of the executive supervisor of the agency they work for.

Since the first part already lets them carry anywhere and everywhere at anytime, the only real thing a written directive could address is places they could not carry.

I mean I don't ever see a chief of police or a sheriff really placing any additional restrictions, but they could. Such as issue a written directive saying they did not want their officers to carry in a church. If he did that, they would have to abide by it.

Before 39-17-1350 many agencies issued written directives that allowed their officers to carry 24/7 but since that law has passed there is no need.