Need headliners redone

AU_88

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought some stuff from this guy in Hendersonville. I did not have him do any headliner work, but I did take a peek at an SUV he was almost finished with. It looked factory to me. He was doing it in front of his apartment, so I don't think he has a shop. He's an older guy on a fixed income, or so that's what he was telling me. Other than that, I don't know much about the guy. He may even come to you.

Not sure if he's the kind of guy you want to use, but just in case: Rodney Bogart - 615-806-3897

Check with local used car dealers.  Typically, there is a guy in most every area who works out of the back of a truck, usually makes the rounds once a week or so to most of the dealers.  They can put you in touch with either this type of person, or maybe an upholstery shop that does headliners. 

i redone the headline in my 88 f150 myself 15 years ago.  went to walamart to get the fabric and spray on glue.  it was not hard to do.  took the old liner down, removed the old stuff, clean up the cardboard, cut out the fabric to fit with good over lap on the insides to hold well.  spray two or three cans of glue then placed the fabric on the cardboard.  went well and you can not tell that it is not a factory job after all these years.  not hard and took a afternoon to do.  cheap and easy.  i paid once to have one done in a 84 olds in 98.  after seeing what the shop did i knew i could do the same and save lots of money. 

I did my own headliner on an 84 Ranger.  Pulled off all the old material, which was sagging and not too hard to remove, dry-scrubbed the remaining crumbled plastic foam off of the cardboard backer, and then used contact cement to glue a couple of yards of naugahyde to the cardboard.  After it dried, I trimmed to naugahyde to the contour of the cardboard and re-installed.  It looked like 2 million bucks (inflation, you know).  One thing to note though - naugahyde is heavy, and I tried other glues first, including spray glue.  No go!.  Also, contact cement shrinks naugahyde, which is one of the major reasons you trim to fit after the glue has set.

I did my own in a car a few years ago. It wasn't hard at all and looked great. I bought some material at walmart in the "womens" section. I took out the headliner and pulled all the old fabric off of it along with all the old foam. I used 3M adhesive spray. I wish I had a pic of it. I'm gonna do it on my ol' F150 soon.

Depending on the truck, you might be able to pull the headliner out of another truck. I did that to a silverado that I used to have. There is a junk yard in the boro that has a lot of cars with good interiors.