Professional resume writers and head hunters in the Nashville area?

Guest Bolt_Overide

Guest Bolt_Overide

My job is starting to look a little shaky, and rather than sit and wait for the possible layoff, I wanted to get started laying the groundwork for job hunting. 

I've never had a pro write up a resume for me before, but I've been given to understand that the right person can make it well worth the cost, so I figured I would give it a try.

I work in Information Technology if that's germane.

I manage a team of IT professionals and have interviewed many people and have read many resumes. Here are a couple of tips. * Tailor each and every resume for the position you apply for. * Do not include your entire job history, just your relevant job history. However, don't leave gaps in employment, as that raises questions. * Put the most relevant stuff to the job first. (contact info, what your qualifications are, etc...) * Spell check and work on presentation style grammar. * Bullet points help. Not required but help. * Last, but not least, be honest about your skills. Nothing ends an interview faster for me than when somebody says they know Java and cannot tell me what a Function is. I don't hire programmers, but if you but it on your resume, you better damn well be ready to talk about it. Outside of the resume, work on your 30 second resume. Meaning, work on a script that you can present in an elevator, or a screening call that says what makes you qualified for the position. You need to be confident, but not cocky. Last bit of advice from me. Be prepared for the interview. If you can, bring with you a portfolio that shows what you can do. One of my best hires was a guy who we sent about 6 questions to ahead of time. He walked in with six packets of paper, each one was one or more pages he wrote on an flight from brazil to the US two days prior to the interview. I knew my decision in minutes. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD Edited by jcluff

I think I used a MS Word template when I first created my resume, and have just kept adding to it. I know mine needs to be re-done and look more professional. I will see if I can dig up anything to help us both out.

My biggest suggestion is to try and keep you resume to one page. I'd also recommend experimenting with formats that flow well and are simple enough to quickly reference. Sent from somewhere in the cosmos using magic...and bacon.
  • Like 1

A HR Manager friend of mine told me that with all the resumes they receive (often hundreds) for each job opening, you have approximately 20-30 seconds of reading time to get the attention of the reviewer and convince them to talk to you about the job.  At first glance, they want to know if you have the skills/experience needed for this specific job, and not much else. 

I have a very simple 1 page resume format that I update/customize EVERY time I send it out, using key words from the job description they provide to highlight appropriate skills and accomplishments.  It includes a bullet-point summary of qualifications, and dates of employment accompanied by a brief outline of responsibilites for each position.  

I wouldn't pay someone to create a resume - there are plenty of templates etc. on-line to get you started, and it will be easier to update and stay on top of if you've put it together yourself.  Let me know if you'd like to see a copy of mine to get some ideas.

Job hunting in the current economic environment is brutal, even if you're looking while employed - I know that from experience...  Good luck!

make your resume to fit the job.  around two pages is okay with the important info up front.  the most important part to any resume is the cover letter.  a good two page cover letter is a lead in to your resume.  make the cover letter fit the job.  toot your horn in the cover letter loud.  for reference, say references on request.