Finished another blade today.....

• Authorized Vendor

13977259697_1fc62a799d_b.jpg

13977272108_287edd71a8_b.jpg

It's made from 1084 carbon steel 5/32" thick. Total length is just over 10" with a blade length of about 5 1/2". It's a big knife with indigo blue dymondwood for scales and stainless steel pins and lanyard hole. The spine has file work from the handle to about 1 1/2" from the point. As you can see it is a drop point design.

I acid etched this blade except for the edge which I protected and also gave it a bit of a design. This knife turned out terrific...it's one of my favorites. The handle is made for a big hand. It's thick but nicely contoured to fit the hand.

I'll be making more of this blade design in the future. It's of good size and the shape lends itself to many different design opportunities.

13977259977_41b0a6f7b0_b.jpg

Edited by Grand Torino
  • Like 6
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Broomhead

Looks great!!!  

To get that look on the cutting edge do you run a length of weld along the edge and the sharpen it back down, or am I totally off base?

Nope, you'd use some type of acid resist, nail polish, spray paint, whiteout, etc. Paint it on how you want it to look, scrape/scratch off any excess, and throw the blade in some type of acid. Hot vinegar, ferric chloride, muriatic acid will all work. Just be sure to wash the blade really good and then neutralize the acid with a baking soda wash.

[quote name="Broomhead" post="1155774" timestamp="1401994441"]Nope, you'd use some type of acid resist, nail polish, spray paint, whiteout, etc. Paint it on how you want it to look, scrape/scratch off any excess, and throw the blade in some type of acid. Hot vinegar, ferric chloride, muriatic acid will all work. Just be sure to wash the blade really good and then neutralize the acid with a baking soda wash.[/quote] Thanks. I was totally off base. In the pictures it looks like it has depth to the feature so that's why I thought it was a weld bead along the edge and then ground smooth.
Guest Broomhead

The depth is an optical illusion, the darker line along the silver edge looks like its just an area where the acid pooled and etched it darker. The welding material would never be able to hold an edge.

Edited by Broomhead