"fat people carry" reccomendations

Guest unreconstructed1

Guest unreconstructed1

Ok, let me go ahead and say this. at 5' 10", 265 lbs, I ain't gonna suffer from miss-a-meal any time soon.

at this time, i am carrying a Hi point C-9, I have found that IWB carry is the best option for me right now. my question is this. the only problem I have with this is in the fact that the back of the slide, nearest my skin, suddenly becomes slightly uncomfortable when I'm sitting in a car, or bending over. the C-9 has a pretty much squared of slide rear, as do most other stryker fired weapons. what have any of yall folks raised on greens and cornbread like me done to counter this uncomfortable situation?

don't worry, I'll wait till ya'll quit laughing for a response...:D

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...what have any of yall folks raised on greens and cornbread like me done to counter this uncomfortable situation?

Well, bro, I'm not quite in your ballpark, but I am in the outer edge of the parking lot. Meaty or not, many, if not most folks want some leather behind that slide.

MTAC, Crossbreed (if you like a combo of Kydex on gun and leather on your bod), lots of other custom leather holster makers.

I now have three holsters from DM Bullard, which have that, don't think I could carry IWB without it, as I don't ever wear undershirts.

Here's the model I use:

33226332_scaled_288x227.JPG

David (Bullard) doesn't list Hi-Point as one of his standard custom designs, but might make one. These babies are about $70 including shipping, 'bout same price as MTAC (Comp-Tac) and Crossbreed.

best 'o luck,

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
typos

Have you tried moving the gun laterally on your belt to see if that doesn't dig in quite as much while driving? Or adjusting the cant of your holster if that's an option? I sometimes have to do both of those while driving with my XD Service carried IWB to keep it from digging into my kidney.

Guest unreconstructed1
Have you tried moving the gun laterally on your belt to see if that doesn't dig in quite as much while driving? Or adjusting the cant of your holster if that's an option? I sometimes have to do both of those while driving with my XD Service carried IWB to keep it from digging into my kidney.

well, I normally keep the gun located at about a 4 o'clock position, with the barrel resting just behind my side pocket. when I give the gun a more forward cant, it's not as bad. only problem is keeping the gun at that forward cant.

I have thought about getting someone to sew a small padded piece along the backside of the slide, as that should be more comfortable when it's just against my skin. If I could just get something that held that forward cant I'd be doing good, but holster options for a Hi-point C9 aren't as diversified as they are for a lot of other models...

Guest Tyler Durden

Recommendations?

nectarine-salad-ck-1646462-l.jpg

twisting_sit_ups.jpg

jogging.jpg

mountain_biking_2.jpg

2414588403_81923900cd_o.jpg

Other than those items, the Hi Point you are carrying is a frickin brick. Sell it and buy a gun a little more conducive to being carried. A compact 9mm or 40SW from one of countless manufacturers would be a much better choice than something roughly the size of a framing hammer.

You should also invest in a better holster with a leather sweat-guard (flap) on the back that will keep the slide of the gun from digging into your Ho Ho roll. This will make it a little more comfortable until you shrink some more.

And really, if bending over or sitting down or anything else like that is presently uncomfortable while you are wearing your gun, your gun is trying to tell you something. *Hint* It's not that you need to kill that tub of Ben & Jerry's in the freezer.

Good luck, from one former fatty to another. It's hard work dropping weight but you and me are roughly the same height and my life changed dramatically once I lost about 50 lbs. Hell, losing an inch of flab in your abdomen is like getting a free willie extension. How can you possibly turn down an offer like that?

Guest canynracer

I would agree with the Hi-Point being a brick statement...if you are able, maybe look at Taurus, or a S&W SW9VE, or a 442/642

if that is not possible, I wear a "wife beater" under my tshirt, my holster does not have the extra leather, but the tank top keeps the gun off my skin...depending on the holster you are using, when you sit in your car, slide it to 3 o'clock....shaving an hour off might save you some skin.

BTW...here is the wife beater... Tank top I was talking about...

114830_L.jpg

Guest pjblurton

I carry OWB @ 4 o'clock in a David Bullard holster as well.

Bodyguard.jpg

I'm built like a fire hydrant (5'8" - 200) and have no issues at all with the bodyguard holster. The extra flap of leather at the top of the holster helps prevent the slide from digging into my "extra flap"...

Guest unreconstructed1
if that is not possible, I wear a "wife beater" under my tshirt, my holster does not have the extra leather,

normally, when I'm off work in the summer, a wife beater is the only shirt I wear any way...

I try to avoid carrying fat people whenever possible...

Humor aside, If you're stuck on IWB carry, and stuck on your choice of firearm, the best option would be to wear a tucked in undershirt between you and the gun/holster, and experiment with where you position them... you may find a sweet spot which is most comfortable for the sitting position. I personally prefer 3:30-4 o'clock, since that is out of the way of my middle, and not jabbing the grip in my back when sitting. Same thing for OWB carry, really, just a bit more forgiving.

If possible, definetly consider finding a different model pistol to carry.

Guest unreconstructed1
If possible, definetly consider finding a different model pistol to carry.

well, at some point in time, I plan on going on the hunt. I'd really love to get a 1911 and an XD for different situations.

but for the meantime, my Hi-point is not only the gun I am most accurate with, but the one that I am most comfortable with as well. regardless of what others may say about it, it's as accurate as any other gun on the market, and as reliable as well.

Guest canynracer
well, at some point in time, I plan on going on the hunt. I'd really love to get a 1911 and an XD for different situations.

but for the meantime, my Hi-point is not only the gun I am most accurate with, but the one that I am most comfortable with as well. regardless of what others may say about it, it's as accurate as any other gun on the market, and as reliable as well.

I dont think anyone is questioning anything other than the size and shape of the Hi-Point....not the best choice for concealed carry IMHO

Hi-Points have this thing about them... They go bang when you pull the trigger, and when you run out of ammo, you can always use it as a club/hammer and not feel bad about marring the finish.

All jokes aside, Big Al's in Greeneville makes custom Kydex holsters. You might be able to get a better IWB holster from him for the Hi-Point at a decent price. I can't remember the website for his holster side-business, but he's a nice guy, so it wouldn't hurt to call him about it if you're interested in something a little easier to adjust the cant on.

Somewhere, someone else is saying that same thing about a Lorcin also.

Now wait a minute, I got a real nice one off Mike.357.:D

A kydex holster for a Hi-Point probably looks like a VHS cassette case. :screwy:

grandova5023.jpg

That I like, I may have to order me a couple of these.:D

Guest abailey362
Hell, losing an inch of flab in your abdomen is like getting a free willie extension. How can you possibly turn down an offer like that?

i can't believe that no one has quoted this yet. maybe it got lost in all the pics

Guest TheBulldog

The Biggest problem a larger person (Like Myself) has in carry for concealment is placement.

I like Small of the Back carry when walking around and back of the hip for sitting and driving.

I have used a variety of holsters over the years, and YES it gets expensive but the cost is worth it if I have to go heeled in an emergency.

I suggest you try a variety of CHEAP holster designs and find something that is comfortable and works for you. Then, if you want to upgrade you can always find that pattern in a higher quality holster for long term use.

Bottom line, trial and error and money to find the Ideal combo for you to work with.

I even manage to carry a full size Taurus PT92 on my strong side inside the pants.

I am also a big guy. Actually a little bigger than you. I used to carry a Kahr P45. I had the same problems as you. The back of the slide would become uncomfortable when doing certain things.

I ended up switching my carry gun to a SW 638. It is much more comfortable to carry because of its shape. I carry mine in a Kramer IWB holster with no problems. It also fits nicely in my shorts pocket.

Guest unreconstructed1
I am also a big guy. Actually a little bigger than you. I used to carry a Kahr P45. I had the same problems as you. The back of the slide would become uncomfortable when doing certain things.

I ended up switching my carry gun to a SW 638. It is much more comfortable to carry because of its shape. I carry mine in a Kramer IWB holster with no problems. It also fits nicely in my shorts pocket.

well, I plan on buying a different carry weapon at some point, but current finances don't support that option for the foreseeable future. besides, even after I buy a different weapon, I see myself going back to the Hi point as I've become so accustomed to it