Brass

Guest ddmoit

I only throw away the cracked cases. Doesn't matter to me how many times they are fired from my guns, as long as they look sound, I'll keep loading them tell they crack. Which, funny enough I'm on about 15-20 on some of my MP5 brass and it's still looking great. I load my rounds fairly low though. None of this +P or +P+ stuff. I'm in it for pinking and training/practice. 

I load to NATO spec.  I use 124gr bullets at 1200fps.  Everything I shoot will cycle that reliably.  I don't see any point to training with powder puff loads and only have full-power for self-defense.  When reloading, the cost difference is minimal.  If I loaded 115gr at down to 1050fps like the cheap Remington factory ammo, then I'd have reliability issues.  My Sterling has runaway problems when using those wimpy loads.

Of course, such light loads will extend your brass life.

I also take no chances with my reloads.  The first time I see a case split, the entire batch of brass goes in the recycle bucket.  It's too easy to miss a crack starting inside the case that would give problems.  And when you buy in case lots, each batch of brass starts at 1000rds.  Sorting by batches is pretty easy.  I'm pretty good at recovering most of my brass, so even after 6-7 reloads, the batch will still be over 800rds.

Everyone makes their own decisions about when brass is worn out.  I'm very conservative about it. 

I run the stuff until it decides its time for it to be retired. I definitely don't have time to keep it separated out in lots. I tried doing that but then I would end up with 1-200rds left in a batch and be heading to the range with them and another batch and i'm not stopping to pick up all the brass from one batch before I start in on another. Like musicman, Mine usually gets thrown into a bucket and then as time allows I go back through and sort and prep. I will agree that "Glock" brass is a different animal and is about useless, especially the .45. I don't own a Glock for that reason.. that and the rifling doesn't agree with cast bullets much. Even after running the brass through the sizing die and loading it, the Glock smiley face is often enough to prevent the round from chambering in a non-Glock.

NO!  NO!  NO!!!!!

Even low-pressure pistol loads like .38 S&W wear out before that.  With 9mm, by the sixth or seventh reloads, I'm starting to see split necks in a batch of brass.  I can usually get 10 reloads from good .45 brass.  That is why seeing the description 'once-fired' is important if you are buying brass.  Semi-auto pistols are usually rougher on brass than revolvers.  Glocks are positively brutal on brass.  I don't believe I've gotten more than four reloads from 9mm used in Glocks.  The case will bulge near the base where it's unsupported.

Once I see  a split neck in a batch of brass, the entire batch goes in the recycle bucket.  It's not worth taking the risk of a case failure damaging your firearm.

At the range, I only reload brass that I know has been fired once.  I'll pick up the other brass (even .22), but it goes in the recycle bucket.  A 5-gal bucket weighs 40-50lbs.  At today's prices for brass, that's about $70.

You are likely belling and or crimping the case mouths too much. I've been loading for about 30 years, and I've only seen a handful of ancient handgun brass with neck splits. I do not, nor will I own a Glock.

Also, I don't see how a split neck could harm a firearm.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 2