Remembering those who gave it all on Memorial Day.

I have lost a few friends over the years but I want to remember one from Tennessee this and every Memorial Day.

BBE6CBF4-3D79-46AB-9A63-C8DD158466B9-148

Army Staff Sgt. Daniel D. Merriweather
Died January 13, 2010 Serving During Operation Enduring Freedom
25, of Collierville Tenn.; assigned to the 118th Military Police Company (Airborne), 503rd Military Police Battalion (Airborne), 16th Military Police Brigade (Airborne), Fort Bragg, N.C.; died Jan. 13 at Combat Outpost McClain, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when enemy forces attacked his vehicle with an improvised explosive device. Also killed was Pfc. Geoffrey A. Whitsitt.
DoD: Memphis soldier killed in Afghanistan

The Associated Press

(http://projects.militarytimes.com/valor/army-staff-sgt-daniel-d-merriweather/4459023)

Edited by Patton
  • Like 6
I work at the Nasville airport and have seen too many processions take the left turn to Donelson on the way to the Warriors final resting place. Being Quartermaster, I've only had one Soldier, SGT Harris, that I knew personally be a casualty of war. The others Soldiers I may have done missions with or help train that paid the ultimate price also hit me, but when you know your battle-buddies family, short/mid and long term goals then through out the year the sting hits when you reminisce. I feel your pain, my one friend feels heavy on my soul. SGT Harris's memorial ride is a must do every year - my wife knows that weather is not a factor and sometimes she is ale to be there and othe times Mother Nature decides otherwise.

To the fallen Warriors and their family........

I don't know how many folks here watch NASCAR or watched the race last evening but NASCAR went all out for our troops yesterday and it was great to see this for sure. I enjoyed to the pre race ceremonies as much if not more than the race. Bag pipes were great and I won't deny the fact that when Taps was performed tears ran down my cheeks as they do every time I hear them. I consider myself a somewhat old piece of tough leather but when ever I hear Taps being performed my leather becomes soft and my heart softens and tough strength is drained. If Taps does not reach deep into your heart and grab you when you hear them performed then you have no heart.........jmho