Where to go for _____?

Ok so I'm a new TN resident and this time home off the ship the wife and I need to get our TN driver's license and handgun carry permit taken care of. I've done some checking and since we live in Union county it looks like we go go Knox to get this taken care of? 

Now it appears to me that we need to go to our Country Clerks office in Maynardville to register our car, motorcycle and trailer right? Is this where we will get our license plates too?

Finding this a bit confusing as in MI all this was done in one location except for the handgun carry permit....

Sounds like you've got it.  The closest full service TN Driver's license center to you is Knoxville/Strawberry Plains. They handle both DL's and HCP's.  Union County clerk for vehicle registration and plates. 

So like Michigan it's all done in the same place, except for the vehicle registration.  ;)

Edited by Garufa

Y'all have already taken the HCP course and have the certificate from it, right?

You'll find the Strawberry Plains office often a pretty long wait. I went all the way over to Maryville last time I had to mess with CDL, 15 min.

- OS

• Like 1

Y'all have already taken the HCP course and have the certificate from it, right?

You'll find the Strawberry Plains office often a pretty long wait. I went all the way over to Maryville last time I had to mess with CDL, 15 min.

- OS

I can only wish that I've had time to take the HCP course... It may yet have to wait till I'm home next go round; I work a 4 week on and 2 week off hitch so time off is mighty short....

The Drivers License Testing Center in Sevierville is the best one to go to around here. They actually acknowledge you are a fellow human being and cut up with you as well.

Straw Plains, Morristown are hateful all the time.

I see you mentioned a trailer unless it falls under certain criteria it may not have to be registered. If it is a personal trailer and not over 8x20 no plate is needed.

It's a 6' x 10' Utility Trailer.... So I don't need to do anything other than remove the old MI plate and keep the lights in working order?

• Like 1

I can only wish that I've had time to take the HCP course... It may yet have to wait till I'm home next go round; I work a 4 week on and 2 week off hitch so time off is mighty short....

Well, you said "get our TN driver's license and handgun carry permit taken care of". Can't do that without the course.

- OS

The Drivers License Testing Center in Sevierville is the best one to go to around here. They actually acknowledge you are a fellow human being and cut up with you as well.

Straw Plains, Morristown are hateful all the time.

I'll have to tolerate the hate then as Sevierville seems to be a long way to drive just to be treated like a humanoid....

Well, you said "get our TN driver's license and handgun carry permit taken care of". Can't do that without the course.

- OS

Yes I see that now... Was going on past experience; in that in MI the app is something you want to take home and fill out first, blah blah blah.... I'll have to make a couple of trips one for the driver's lic and then go back again after I'd had time for the HCP course; least TN honors my CPL for 6 months after I apply for a DL...

• Like 1

It's a 6' x 10' Utility Trailer.... So I don't need to do anything other than remove the old MI plate and keep the lights in working order?

As long as you don't take it out of Tennessee.  If you travel out of state with it, get a tag.

they are busy at Straw Plains but I don't think you need to wait two weeks in line.  ;)

they are busy at Straw Plains but I don't think you need to wait two weeks in line.   ;)

There is an office in Clinton as well. I believe they do HCP. I live in Powell but renewed my CDL in clinton rather than go to Strawplains. I don't know if Clinton is any closer than Strawplains.

WLR

There is an office in Clinton as well. I believe they do HCP. I live in Powell but renewed my CDL in clinton rather than go to Strawplains. I don't know if Clinton is any closer than Strawplains.

WLR

I will keep Clinton in mind as they are a full service branch and just about the same distance as Strawplains from where we live. It is out of the way though so to go there will be a special trip. Whereas I have several errands to knock out in the Knox area...

Not sure how it worked but when I lived in Ohio I bought a boat in Michigan had got a permanent trailer tag with it. Good for life. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Actally MI has good for life trailer plates which I have but I wonder how LEO will view a trailer with a MI plate being pulled by a TN plated car? 

If you're living in Tennessee now you need to get all thoughts of how things are done "up there" out of your head.  Please.  :)

Really you think so?   :squint:

I'm getting there but it takes time when you miss your craft 12 % beer.....

there is high gravity beer in TN,  currently gotta get it in a liquor store.  

And Straw Plains is nowhere near Knoxville.  I guess compared to being in BFE it is.  Don't try to tie in trips to Knoxville with going to the DMV in Straw Plains.

there is high gravity beer in TN,  currently gotta get it in a liquor store.  

And Straw Plains is nowhere near Knoxville.  I guess compared to being in BFE it is.  Don't try to tie in trips to Knoxville with going to the DMV in Straw Plains.

Guess I don't understand WTF your talking about is Strawberry Plains DMV not considered Knoxville?

Guess I don't understand WTF your talking about is Strawberry Plains DMV not considered Knoxville?

Straw Plains is a actually a community name, well outside city limits, is in parts of three counties. Only about 10 miles to downtown Knoxville though.

- OS

Straw Plains is a actually a community name, well outside city limits, is in parts of three counties. Only about 10 miles to downtown Knoxville though.

- OS

Got ya... For the sake of this thread I'll call it Knoxville as the 3 locations that I need to make stops at are all within 4 miles of each other...