Walmart tonight

none

Went to Mount Juliet Wally world tonight they had a nice composite Ruger 10/22 with a stainless barrel priced at $254.00 seemed like a lower than normal price? I am kind of itching to get something to plink with now that my range is nearing completion. Doesn't. Seem like there are a lot of inexpensive options out there that wont break the bank to shoot on a regular basis? Seems like a a 10/22 might be an option any other thoughts on an affordable long rifle that would be affordable to shoot?

Thank you

Ammunition not really an issue if that's what you meant?

Yea that is what I meant! 

My father really likes 1950s bolt action rifles, he and his buddy plinks about ~200 rounds a week, best shot pays lunch.  Maybe older guns might be better!

Here's one with their laser stock a bit cheaper. Probably come out to the same after transfer, maybe a bit cheaper.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/10-22-rifle-with-lasermax-11129.html

Here's a Remington 597 for well under $200. I like the 597 really well, excellent shooters for the cost and IMO mostly on par with the 10/22. The 10/22 takes a lead in reliability, but for me the fact that the 597 is closer to a full sized rifle more than makes up for it. I have them both and shoot them both, the 10/22 is handier, the 597 is more comfortable to shoot and accurate.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/firearms-clearance/remington-597-22lr-synthetic-stock-20-barrel.html
  • Like 1

10/22's are deceiving. It's not what you pay for it.

It's what you spend on it once you get it.

With all the aftermarket parts out there is t is EASY to have 3x what you paid for it in after market parts.

Those babies are addicting too, it's hard to own just one 10/22.

As for another "Cheap" plinker.

The Remington 597 mentioned above is great.

As is the Mossberg 702 Plinkster.

And don't forget the Marlin 60 if you can live with a tube feed mag.

Guest SgtFraser
As Shooter mentioned above, a Marlin model 60, in my personal experience, has been far more accurate than any 10/22 Ive ever shot. If youre set against tube fed, try a Marlin 795, much cheaper than the Ruger price tag.

Sgt Dan Fraser, USMC Edited by SgtFraser

Yea that is what I meant! 

My father really likes 1950s bolt action rifles, he and his buddy plinks about ~200 rounds a week, best shot pays lunch.  Maybe older guns might be better!

I have a Marlin 81DL with a Weaver scope that is still used. I shot it more than the Model 60. Picture is borrowed, but same set up on mine.

48555e9175a2416fc742937cda14e8ef.jpg