.223/.224

If you're reloading you should have a good Reloading Manual. LOTS of great information to be gleaned from reading all sections.  The history and chronological development of different cartridges fascinates me most.

Prior to the less than impressive .223 rd. there was the 218 bee, 219 Zipper, 220 Swift(well named), 221 Fireball. 222 Rem(perhaps most accurate), 222 Rem mag, 224 Varmintmaster 225 Win, etc etc.  I believe all spit out a .224 diameter bullet.  Not to mention my personal favorite; 22/250 finally commercially produced after years of wildcatters swearing to it's suberb characteristics.

Edited by HvBikeWlTravel
  • Like 2

LOL! The 22 Savage High Power uses a .227 bullet, and is also known as the 5.6x52R. Early 22 Hornets use a .223 bullet, while later ones take a .224. Don't get me started on 30 calibers! This gets more confusing than collecting Case knives.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

In an attempt to answer why most ".22" caliber ammo holds a .224 diameter bullet, I'll go out on a limb and say costs and availability.  Why design a cartridge and the corresponding barrel that require new casting dies and tooling?  But evidently the creator of the .22 Savage High Power didn't get my E-Mail.  :squint: 

In an attempt to answer why most ".22" caliber ammo holds a .224 diameter bullet, I'll go out on a limb and say costs and availability.  Why design a cartridge and the corresponding barrel that require new casting dies and tooling?  But evidently the creator of the .22 Savage High Power didn't get my E-Mail.  :squint:

Charles Newton marched to the beat of a different drum for sure.

• Like 1