Bow Season 2014

Nothing moving on the way out, I was in my stand at 5:30 and 5:45 something walked by at about 20 yards but I couldn't see it.

3 does came up at 7:30 and hung around for 20 minutes but I could never get a shot. Would have been over with a rifle but I didn't want to risk squeezing an arrow into the couple small openings they gave me when they came into bow range at 35 yards, all I needed was 5 feet in one of 2 directions and would have cleared the brush.

Great morning regardless! Back home, have to work for a while but hope to be done and out to the woods again by 2 or 3. If not, always tomorrow morning.
As it barely started breaking day I had a big silhouette and a small one come in to 25 yards in front of me. Too dark to see if the big one had antlers. So far that's all I've seen but I'm in it to skin it, be here till I get something or gets dark. Whichever comes first.
  • Like 2
Whew! Sweatin my nards off!! Stupid bee for some reason has an interest in me. All will be well though when the deer decide to come out.

So far I have seen one squirrel. Oh and I almost squished a turkey driving in. Sure is pretty out here.
I had 1 doe and 2 fawn at 100 yards. They came straight at me to 55 yards. Ate clover for a while. Came in at 40 yards. Then went right and exited field. Haha. Thought I was about to have an extra set of back straps. But hey, I got 10 mIns left...why am I posting?! Ok...back to what I came out here to do...
  • Like 1
I must be getting soft 'cause I have a hard time shooting momma with fawns anymore. The last time I did was a couple years ago with a muzzleloader, and fawns watched as I gutted and followed me to the truck as I dragged momma. I didn't feel good about it, lol. I know I could have busted them too, but they were button bucks. They both hung around that same stand until the second one was killed last year. Anyway, that's my doe and fawns story.
I heard one run off. Was in my stand at 3:15 had just fully settled in and heard a snort and running about 60 yards away in the little hollow.

Nothing else except several squirrels and then some POS trespassing came into the field wide open on a 4wheeler and dirt bike at 5:45. I was furious, they made a lap and then tore out before I could get down or anything. I said forget it and came in for supper.
Well, 14 hours, no break, no deer. Boys, I'm too old for that crap, but hey, opening day is only once a year! Giver another go round tomorrow, but not all day again. Probably hunt till noon and call it a good weekend. Man, my adrenaline was pumping when the sun sank behind the trees and I was watching for that one fat doe or buck to come out...did I mention I didn't get one? Lol Great day in the woods, maybe tomorrow we'll all get one!

Nothing for me either fellas.  Allthough I did have fun messing w/ a squirrel a few branches over.  He never saw me, then I would make a little movement.  Then the squirrel would have a panic attack, but still wasn't sure if what he thought he saw he actually saw or maybe just off his meds again...then when he calmed down, I'd move a little and then he'd go back into full freakout mode, but then I was still again and well....hes probably not going to sleep well tonight.  

• Like 2

Nothing for me either fellas.  Allthough I did have fun messing w/ a squirrel a few branches over.  He never saw me, then I would make a little movement.  Then the squirrel would have a panic attack, but still wasn't sure if what he thought he saw he actually saw or maybe just off his meds again...then when he calmed down, I'd move a little and then he'd go back into full freakout mode, but then I was still again and well....hes probably not going to sleep well tonight.

LOL. Careful messin' with squirrels though... they're vindictive little creatures. :rofl:
  • Like 1
Do y'all have any idea how long it took me until I could tell the difference between a squirrel and a deer?! Years! Those little communists have elevated my heart levels to near shiney-rock-Ruger levels....only to have it plummet once realizing that Boone and Crocket was just a tree rat. I'm just trying to get MY revenge. LOL
  • Like 2
I sure didn't wanna roll my fat rear end out of bed, but I really wanted to hunt lol. I only saw one doe all morning, never had a good shot but she was a fatty. I'd love to be seeing more deer but at least it wasn't 2 days without seeing anything. Really undecided on this evening. May wait till next weekend, let it die down and maybe cooler temps.
On a different note, do you guys do social grunt calls early in season? I tried it a few times off and on. But if the deer are not in the area, there are none to come in haha.

I saw 4 does this morning at 6:30, but the closest they got was 50 yards. That is 7 in 2 mornings and all in the same spot crossing the ridge.

Next weekend I am carrying my climber and moving about 20 yards down the ridge. This way I will be able to cover all of the trails in use, not just 2...

I killed 2 from this ladder stand last year during rifle season and it is not a terrible location but my FIL placed it, and it is a terrible spot for a stand IMO.  Picture 2 trees, one 2 feet behind and 1 foot left of the other. The stand is attached to the 2nd tree, so the first tree blocks basically anything from 1:00 to 4:00, and makes swinging a crossbow or rifle around for other shots to the right very difficult. And he placed the ladder on the uphill side so the platform slants down to the back causing leg strain when you stand.

I told him I wanted to move the stand this spring but he didn't agree. And since it is not my land or even my stand I left it but next spring it is going to move.

• Like 1
I went out this afternoon, and slipped as quietly as I could to one of my stands that still needed some serious maintenance. I ended up just improving that site and getting it ready for the rest of the season. I saw a few squirrels and found a turkey feather. I also sweated way too much and lost my Scott release to my bow :(

It's fun just getting out in the woods. I'm bummed about losing the release though.
  • Like 1