Pistol handling question ?

Guest Ugrey

I carry and shoot a S&W 6906. To reach the magazine button I have to shift my grip, so , I just hit it with my left hand thumb instead of shifting my grip. I do the same with my safety/decocker. This seems just as quick, and in an emergency, I of course can use my pistol hand. So what is wrong with this? What am I missing? Thanks for any replies.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

I'd practice doing it with your shooting hand instead of your off hand. It may seem quicker and easier to do it with the off hand, but in a high stress situation where you may not have the use of your left hand, you might hesitate and your hesitation might effect the outcome of the situation.

Thanks for the reply. Breaking my grip on my pistol every time I do a mag change just does not seem to be a smart thing to do, to me. If I ever am reduced to one hand, I have already manipulated my pistol hundreds of times that way. I just hate breaking my grip under stress of a mag change when my support hand can hit the mag button within a fraction of a second and without breaking my grip. Thanks, I am still learning.

Edited by Ugrey

It seems that the mag change would take quite a bit longer by hitting the mag release with your weak hand. If speed is a concern, rotating the gun slightly in your strong (shooting) hand and ejecting the mag while reaching for a fresh mag takes less time than hitting the mag release with the weak hand, then getting a new mag with that same hand.

Thanks, I really dont want to go to a single column pistol. I never thought I had small or even medium sized hands.

Try the XD. Ambi mag release and you can learn to do what lefties have been doing with guns for decades - use your index finger.

If it’s just as fast, do whatever is comfortable and works for you. However you train is probably how you will react under stress.

The chances of needing more than 12 rounds in a shooting are slimmer than winning powerball; and if you do need them you are probably hosed anyway.

I see nothing wrong with a slight rotation of the gun while in the shooters box.

The key is to find out what works best for YOU, and practice about 4 million times until you do it the same way every time.

Any technique is a good one if you are able to run your gun in a safe and effective manner.

**Some guys will do a manual mag swipe/strip while in the shooters box, before reaching for the spare mag.

This may be a solution:

-Shoot gun to slide lock

-Rotate gun and maintain eye level while bringing weak hand up and engaging mag release with your thumb while you strip or pull the magazine from the magwell

-As your weak hand moves from magwell to belt (or source of new mag) retrieve new mag and bring it up to meet the gun (still in same position you left it)

-Insert magazine, rotate gun back into your normal shooting stance as your weak hand returns to its original grip.

Not my first choice, but certainly an option for your situation.

Edited by BimmerFreak

Use whatever works for you.I use a 10 finger grip on a golf club.I just cannot get the right feel with an interlock or overlap grip.Course I ain't played in over 3 years but that ain't the point,point is try all methods and use the best one for you.

Use whatever works for you.I use a 10 finger grip on a golf club.I just cannot get the right feel with an interlock or overlap grip.Course I ain't played in over 3 years but that ain't the point,point is try all methods and use the best one for you.

Yeah and that's why you can't break 80 either.:)