New rifle caliber???

SALK

I am thinking about a new rifle. I am leaning toward a .300 win mag. A friend is telling me to get the wsm version. My question is which one is better balistics wise? 600 yrds should be the longest shot needed...Lol, I hope.

I would hope critter, I would hate to have a plinking session with any Mag caliber.  I use and love my .270, and have the added benefit of being able to drop any North American game animal.  Though I don't know about 600 yard shots as I have never shot at an animal that far.  But in the 200 to 400 yard range it hard to beat, though my .308 gives it a good run for the money.

Right now I am playing with the 300 Blackout, but its nowhere near good enough for hunting outside a 200 yard shot and that is pushing it.  Maybe a list of the calibers you are contemplating would narrow down the field a bit?

90% of the shooting will be critter related. I already have an older 30-06. I just do not know how that round will do that far out. I am hoping not to have to reach out that far but would like to know that the gun is capable to do that with enough force to drop an elk. I am still in the early stages of this decision so I am not sold on the specific caliber yet. Just going off of hear say.

30-06 was king out in CO when I lived out there, it should have no problem as long as the rifle is in good working order and you sight it in where ever you are going to hunt at.  Altitude changes your POI drastically between sea level and the high altitudes of CO, but if you are hunting local elk then you should be fine.

The 06 is my grandfathers old gun. It is a semi auto and I am gonna pretty much retire it. Thats why I am open to a caliber change. I have never tried the 06 out past 300. Just dont know how it will handle.

As I already have a 30-06, what are the differances between it and .308? Balistics wise, are they that different? I will be getting a bolt action wood stock gun.

The .308 has more match ammo available but for hunting there is very little difference between them and even the .270.  If you are looking at getting a 2nd rifle just for S&G then consider what its intended purpose will be, if you are replacing the rifle then it would be a toss up between the .308 and the .270 though I would lean more toward the .270 because its a little flatter shooting.  If you are looking for a plinking gun then the AR in .223 is great due to its availability of cheap ammo.

I use and love my .270, and have the added benefit of being able to drop any North American game animal.  

You'd hunt moose or grizz w/ a .270? How do you walk with stones that big?

• Like 2

You'd hunt moose or grizz w/ a .270? How do you walk with stones that big?

Sure, 170gr Nosler Partitions do just fine on elk, though I have not personally shot a moose or bear there have been many dropped with a .270.  With the advent of new rounds like the Barnes TTSX offerings, I would not hesitate using my .270 for both.  I have other calibers too but if I had to choose one it would be my .270 hands down.  In CO I grew up using a 30-06, it too can drop any NA game animal, but I find that its just too much gun for white tail around here. 

Define larger game. Probably just fine on a whitetail. Might just make a moose mad.

Really, it's all about shot placement... if you can make a brain shot you can kill an elephant w/ a 5.56... however, if your placement isn't perfect.... you're gonna have a bad time.

Courney Selous killed a TON of elephant with a .256 (I think that's right)... but he was one of the greatest hunters to ever live.

Personally, I'm sold on the .308. I've had great success with it out past 300 yards. 30-06 has very similar ballistics.

Fair enough, Omega. I do a lot of hunting in Africa so I tend to lean towards heavier calibers.

The .270 has a great reputation, and I didn't realize it'd throw a 170gr bullet.... that puts it right up there with my .308.

Still, I'm a big fan of 300gr bullets moving at 2700 fps out of a .375 H&H. Most animals drop to the shot... I'm getting old and tracking blood over hill and dale isn't as fun as it used to be. I like to hit em hard!

• Like 2

I got big balls I got big balls. (Ac/dc) I have an ar already. How would .270 do on larger game at 300 + though?

Just fine, I have taken shots at that range but they are rare.  Most shots have been between 50 - 200 yards average, for me anyway.  With only one tag, I like to get in close enough to get a good look at my intended target, where I used to hunt it was wooded enough that you could not see that far, 100 yards or so was the farthest I could see.  I have hunted my Godfather's friend's farm though and 400 yard shot opportunities  were common since the elk would not leave the tree line, but I only fired twice at that range and had to track him for a bit.  But that is not uncommon, I have shot elk at 60 yards and still had to track him, and that was with a 30-06.

.30-06, .300 WSM, .300 Win Mag, 7mm mag, ....   Not a great deal of difference.    Like with most things, it's more about shot placement than anything else.  Once you get it dialed in, all of them would work fine at 600+ yds assuming you put the bullet on target. 

If you're really worried about it, just get a .338 Lapua or .375 H&H. 

Fair enough, Omega. I do a lot of hunting in Africa so I tend to lean towards heavier calibers.

The .270 has a great reputation, and I didn't realize it'd throw a 170gr bullet.... that puts it right up there with my .308.

Still, I'm a big fan of 300gr bullets moving at 2700 fps out of a .375 H&H. Most animals drop to the shot... I'm getting old and tracking blood over hill and dale isn't as fun as it used to be. I like to hit em hard!

Oh definitely would not take a .270 to Africa.  I have been to Botswana, and the Ivory Coast but was with the military and did not get to participate in any sporting hunts but my .308 would of been great for some of the animals we encountered.

• Like 1
I like the .338 but over kill would be an understatement!! I might just stay with 30-06. I have more experience with that round over .308. Thanks everone for the input. Now I just need to figure out which rifle....
I'm going out west for elk this fall with my 30-06. I've studied the ballistics (computed) because I was considering getting a 300WM. The 300WM is an excellent cartridge, but I didn't see a lot of difference than my '06 until the range gets further than about 400yds -500yds. It's the same bullet, but the 300 will retain a little more energy and velocity a little further out. I came to the conclusion that if I was going to step up from my 30-06, it should be a real step up. The 338WM is a real step up from the 30-06 IMO, and it has the added benefit of a very similar trajectory as the 30-06. That being said, I am taking my 30-06 elk hunting this year and will limit my shots to 400yds because that's how far I've practiced. The next time I go out for elk, I will treat myself to a 338WM

I like the .338 but over kill would be an understatement!! I might just stay with 30-06. I have more experience with that round over .308. Thanks everone for the input. Now I just need to figure out which rifle....

My vote... Winchester 70 Extreme Weather SS. It's the newer FN winny with controlled round feed, etc. It will be my next rifle

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=001C&mid=535206

From reviewing your desired capabilities, I think you'd be best served by just keeping the .30-06 you already have... maybe use the "new rifle" money to put a really good scope on it?  (That being said, I have no idea what you are using now....)

I never realized how much "good" optics helped until I used a few. 

• Like 2