Important Update regarding Park Carry Bill and expansion of carry rights

• Administrator

From the Tennessee Firearms Association...

As most of you know, House Bill 132, sponsored by Representative Mike Bell (R-23), would allow aperson with a handgun carry permit to possess a firearm in all public hunting areas, refuges, wildlife management areas, and national forests managed by the state; House Bill 2184, sponsored by Representative Frank Nicely (R-17), would allow any resident, who has a valid handgun carry permit, to possess his or her handgun while within the boundaries of any state park.

While you may have read in the papers or on TV that Rob Briley has proposed an amendment allowing you to carry in government and public buildings civic centers and playgrounds, there is NO amendment for HB2184. It appears this is a ploy by Briley to fool you into thinking he is in favor of Niceley's bill so you won't bother to support the bill. Nothing could be further from the truth. Nicely also said the commissioner of parks is adamantly opposed to his bill.

<script><!-- D(["mb","Speaking of ploys TWRA (the guys who don't \nthink your carry permit is worth a dime on \u003cstrong\>their property)\u003c/strong\> have \nprompted a "fiscal note" to Bell's bill that the state would lose $11,000 in \nfines were the bill to pass.* This seems a bit odd that allowing carry \npermit holders to carry in public hunting areas would have \u003cstrong\>any\u003c/strong\> \nimpact, since TWRA can't come up with a single case of a permit holder being \narrested for poaching or violating game laws.* TWRA say "they don't make a \ndistinction between poachers and permit holders"--\u003cstrong\>Maybe they \nshould.\u003c/strong\>\u003cspan\>\u003cfont color\u003d\"#0000ff\"\>*\u003cstrong\>\u003cfont color\u003d\"#000000\"\>*\u003c/font\>\u003c/strong\>\u003c/font\>\u003c/span\>\u003c/font\>\u003c/font\>\u003c/div\>\n\u003cdiv\>\u003cfont face\u003d\"Arial\"\>\u003cfont size\u003d\"2\"\>\u003cspan\>\u003cfont color\u003d\"#0000ff\"\>\u003cstrong\>\u003cfont color\u003d\"#ff0000\"\>*(This is not correct and only \n"Assumed" by the TWRA.* Actually it is*documented by the state Dept. \nof Safety on violations of Handgun permit holders by State Law. * I pulled \nthis file*last year and it showed ZERO cases of poaching against Handgun \nPermit Holders.* So the Above fiscal impact should be ZERO.* * \nDavid)\u003c/font\>\u003c/strong\>*\u003c/font\>\u003c/span\>\u003c/font\>\u003c/font\>\u003c/div\>\n\u003cdiv\>\u003cfont face\u003d\"Arial\" size\u003d\"2\"\>\u003cfont face\u003d\"Arial\" size\u003d\"2\"\>\u003c/font\>\u003c/font\>*\u003c/div\>\n\u003cdiv\>\u003cstrong\>I spoke with both Bell and Nicely today and both their bills are \nbeing rolled a week forward\u003c/strong\> because one*member of the judiciary \nwho favors both bills will not be there tomorrow.* They both tell me that \nthey have 6 of the 10 judiciary members in*favor of the two bills.\u003c/div\>\n\u003cdiv\>\u003cfont face\u003d\"Arial\" size\u003d\"2\"\>\u003c/font\>*\u003c/div\>\n\u003cdiv\>\u003cfont face\u003d\"Arial\" size\u003d\"2\"\>\u003cfont face\u003d\"Times New Roman\" size\u003d\"3\"\>\u003cstrong\>Both \nsuggested that it would help*get these two bills passed if people would \nphone in and thank the two freshman*Democrats are voting for the \nbills.\u003c/strong\>**That means we have a few extra days to make those \nphone calls, but it also means that Rob Briley and Janis Sontany, \nranking*Democrats on the House Judiciary will have*the same amount of \ntime to try and browbeat Bass and Fincher into changing their \nvote.",1] ); //--></script>Speaking of ploys TWRA (the guys who don't think your carry permit is worth a dime on their property) have prompted a "fiscal note" to Bell's bill that the state would lose $11,000 in fines were the bill to pass. This seems a bit odd that allowing carry permit holders to carry in public hunting areas would have any impact, since TWRA can't come up with a single case of a permit holder being arrested for poaching or violating game laws. TWRA say "they don't make a distinction between poachers and permit holders"--Maybe they should.

(This is not correct and only "Assumed" by the TWRA. Actually it is documented by the state Dept. of Safety on violations of Handgun permit holders by State Law. I pulled this file last year and it showed ZERO cases of poaching against Handgun Permit Holders. So the Above fiscal impact should be ZERO. David)

I spoke with both Bell and Nicely today and both their bills are being rolled a week forward because one member of the judiciary who favors both bills will not be there tomorrow. They both tell me that they have 6 of the 10 judiciary members in favor of the two bills.

Both suggested that it would help get these two bills passed if people would phone in and thank the two freshman Democrats are voting for the bills. That means we have a few extra days to make those phone calls, but it also means that Rob Briley and Janis Sontany, ranking Democrats on the House Judiciary will have the same amount of time to try and browbeat Bass and Fincher into changing their vote.<script><!-- D(["mb","\u003c/font\>\u003c/font\>\u003c/div\>\n\u003cdiv\>\u003cfont face\u003d\"Arial\" size\u003d\"2\"\>\u003c/font\>*\u003c/div\>\n\u003cdiv\>\u003cfont face\u003d\"Arial\" size\u003d\"2\"\>\u003cfont face\u003d\"Times New Roman\" size\u003d\"3\"\>You can use the \ntoll free*number for the General Assembly, \u003cstrong\>\u003cfont color\u003d\"#ff0000\"\>1-800-449-8366.**\u003c/font\>\u003cfont color\u003d\"#000000\"\>Henry \nFincher's Ext is 11875*and Eddie Bass's is \n11864.\u003c/font\>\u003c/strong\>\u003c/font\>\u003c/font\>\u003c/div\>\n\u003cdiv\>\u003cfont face\u003d\"Arial\" size\u003d\"2\"\>\u003cstrong\>\u003cfont face\u003d\"Times New Roman\" size\u003d\"3\"\>This is \nour chance to may a difference.\u003c/font\>\u003c/strong\>\u003c/font\>\u003c/div\>\n\u003cdiv\>\u003cfont face\u003d\"Arial\" size\u003d\"2\"\>\u003cstrong\>\u003cfont face\u003d\"Times New Roman\" size\u003d\"3\"\>\u003c/font\>\u003c/strong\>\u003c/font\>*\u003c/div\>\n\u003cdiv\>\u003cfont face\u003d\"Arial\" size\u003d\"2\"\>\u003cstrong\>\u003cfont face\u003d\"Times New Roman\" size\u003d\"3\"\>This is \nyour chance to make a difference.\u003c/font\>\u003c/strong\>\u003c/font\>\u003c/div\>\n\u003cdiv\>\u003cbr\>\u003c/div\>\u003c/div\>\n",0] ); D(["ce"]); //--></script>

You can use the toll free number for the General Assembly, 1-800-449-8366. Henry Fincher's Ext is 11875 and Eddie Bass's is 11864.

This is our chance to may a difference.

This is your chance to make a difference.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LeagueOf1291

I spoke to Henry Fincher's secretary today. She assured me that his support for both bills is unwavering.

I will also have lunch with him to discuss campus carry. I'd like to build a base first.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
I hope you have better luck with your emails than I did.:rolleyes: Most of what I got back was "deletes without being read":down:

Easy there... some people use the "preview" window in their email program to view an email without actually opening it. I do this all the time. If your representative did this and then deleted the email after previewing (reading) it, you might have gotten the report back that you did.

Don't put any credit in those automatic email reports. They are often misleading.

Easy there... some people use the "preview" window in their email program to view an email without actually opening it. I do this all the time. If your representative did this and then deleted the email after previewing (reading) it, you might have gotten the report back that you did.

Don't put any credit in those automatic email reports. They are often misleading.

:rolleyes::blush: I was not aware of this. I just figured they had gotten so many they were just deleting them. :up:

Well, if the rep was smart he or she would mark the email as "read" before deleting it so that this sort of thing wouldn't happen.

Yea, believe it or not not of the "deleted" emails I got back was from Eddie Bass, one of the sponsors of the bill.:up:

Guest db99wj

I sent a letter on this awhile back to Steve Cohen and Bob Corker.

The message from Steve Cohen was a generic "Thanks for your letter..." nothing specific but Bob Corker's was different, here it is.

Thank you for taking the time to contact my office to share your concerns about your Second Amendment rights. Your input is important to me and I appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts.

The right to own firearms for shooting, hunting, and self-protection is important to me as a Tennessean and as an American. I share the NRA's commitment to safeguarding the rights of law-abiding American citizens. I will be a consistent voice for the second amendment, and I will fight attempts to weaken those rights that are granted in the Constitution. As it currently stands, no legislation dealing with Second Amendment rights has been considered by the full Senate during the 110th Congress. Should legislation be presented, I will certainly take your concerns into consideration.

Thank you again for your letter. I hope you will continue to share your thoughts with me over the next six years.

Sincerely,

A

Bob Corker

United States Senator

Initials/ds

Well I have nothing official :up:, however I was told by a little bird :P that we have the votes to get this passed already:D. I just wanted to thank all who have emailed, called, and sent letters to our reps.

Although I was told what I was told I would NOT let up. Hammer down and keep up the good fight.:up:

Guest dpeneguy

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="90%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width="35%">Actions Taken on SB2143

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="15%">Action Date

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width="35%">Actions Taken on HB2184

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="15%">Action Date

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE width="90%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="35%">Passed S. as am., Ayes 23, Nays 5</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="15%">5/31/2007</TD><TD vAlign=top width="35%">Assigned to s/c Budget of FW&M</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="15%">5/30/2007</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="35%">S. adopted am.(Amendment 5 of 0 - SA0686)</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="15%">5/31/2007</TD><TD vAlign=top width="35%">Re-ref. to Finance, Ways and Means</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="15%">5/22/2007</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="35%">Am. withdrawn.(Amendment 6 - SA0709)</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="15%">5/31/2007</TD><TD vAlign=top width="35%">Placed on cal. Calendar & Rules Committee for 05/22/2007</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="15%">5/17/2007</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="35%">S. adopted am.(Amendment 4 of 0 - SA0685)</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="15%">5/31/2007</TD><TD vAlign=top width="35%">Rec. for Pass. if Am. ref. to: Calendar & Rules Committee</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="15%">5/9/2007</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="35%">S. adopted am.(Amendment 4 of 0 - SA0685)</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="15%">5/31/2007</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Guest dpeneguy

I called Rep Niceley's office and the lady said that he pulled the bill until next year to stop it from being killed.

Guest dpeneguy

I am not sure she knew what I was talking about so I called the S/C number to ask the status and she said that it will be on the Calendar for Next week ... So I am not sure whats going on with it .

Guest SomeGuy

However, I did mis-state what I meant. 0132 has been deferred. It has been killed in this session. (Far as I am concerned, it is the same as being killed. We can of course split hairs...)

<table align="center" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="90%"><tbody><tr><td align="left" valign="top" width="35%">Actions Taken on HB0132

</td><td align="center" valign="top" width="15%">Action Date

</td><td align="left" valign="top" width="35%">Actions Taken on SB0053

</td><td align="center" valign="top" width="15%">Action Date

</td></tr></tbody></table><table align="center" width="90%"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="35%">Action Def. in s/c Budget of FW&M to 1/1/2008</td><td align="center" valign="top" width="15%">5/30/2007</td><td valign="top" width="35%">Rcvd. from S., held on H. desk.</td><td align="center" valign="top" width="15%">4/18/2007</td></tr></tbody></table>

When I checked 2184, it had been listed as taken off notice, but that has changed. It still has some life. (How it happened I do not know, I do know it was taken off notice at one time. Perhaps that was in error, but it was on their at one time.)