Hot sauce deal - New code added 8/21/14

Sam1

Just tried it. Got this message

There was a problem
  • The promotional code you entered has expired.

:-\

Yeah, I missed out again, too.  Oh, well, I hope you other fellers enjoy it!

For you folks who like various hot sauces, keep an eye out at your local Big Lots.  Yeah, Big Lots.  From time to time, they have some of the more 'premium' hot suaces that they have gotten in close outs and so on.  Recently, I have seen (and bought) Scorned Woman hot sauce at a couple of their locations.  Scorned Woman isn't the hottest of sauces (of course, this is the opinion of a guy who eats ghost peppers) but it has a nice, even, low burn and (IMO) a great flavor as it has some, other spices in it.  On the 'Net it runs anywhere from $4.50 to $5.00 a bottle plus shipping.  I think it is a little more than that in the hot sauce shops.  I have been getting it at Big Lots (several bottles at a time as I know it won't be there forever) for $2.50 a bottle.

Places like Ross and T.J. Maxx, of all things, also sometimes have good hot sauces at low prices.  I've seen Dave's Insanity varieties at Ross a couple of times at lower prices than at the hot sauce shops.

Edited by JAB

I had as usual an "ongoing" shopping cart on Zon, went ahead and grabbed one when I first saw original post, already came today. Since whole order was free if over 35 clams, no shipping at all.

I'm not a huge hot sauce fan, original Tabasco generally satisfies my usage, but will use these over time, except perhaps the full tilt boogie The Antidote one. I don't have much interest anymore in getting stuff so hot that it could be fried dog poop as far as my taste buds know and I need a towel to mop off the sweat.

So thanks for the original post, Sam, appreciate it.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest t.bird

Yeah, I missed out again, too.  Oh, well, I hope you other fellers enjoy it!

For you folks who like various hot sauces, keep an eye out at your local Big Lots.  Yeah, Big Lots.  From time to time, they have some of the more 'premium' hot suaces that they have gotten in close outs and so on.  Recently, I have seen (and bought) Scorned Woman hot sauce at a couple of their locations.  Scorned Woman isn't the hottest of sauces (of course, this is the opinion of a guy who eats ghost peppers) but it has a nice, even, low burn and (IMO) a great flavor as it has some, other spices in it.  On the 'Net it runs anywhere from $4.50 to $5.00 a bottle plus shipping.  I think it is a little more than that in the hot sauce shops.  I have been getting it at Big Lots (several bottles at a time as I know it won't be there forever) for $2.50 a bottle.

Places like Ross and T.J. Maxx, of all things, also sometimes have good hot sauces at low prices.  I've seen Dave's Insanity varieties at Ross a couple of times at lower prices than at the hot sauce shops.

I found a bottle of Dave's Insanity Ghost Pepper sauce at a store similar to Big Lots in New England for $3.  It was so unassuming, the bottle doesn't even have one of those plastic things to restrict flow.  I knew what it was but I'm guessing a lot of people who buy it don't.  It's way too hot to actually enjoy, I mostly use it when we have friends or family over.  I'll get someone to eat just one drop on a cracker as I do the same...then sit back and watch the fun!  One drop isn't really a problem for me, but watching people on youtube eating a spoonful of it makes me cringe.

Guest t.bird

A smidge graphic, but DAMN  :stunned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXrL4bu_j04

Regular Insanity sauce like in that video is around 180,000 scoville units, the Dave's ghost pepper sauce I have is supposedly 650,000.

Here is a video of guys who enjoy and review hot sauces...and this is how they react:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO6QBq0lx2Y

I found a bottle of Dave's Insanity Ghost Pepper sauce at a store similar to Big Lots in New England for $3.  It was so unassuming, the bottle doesn't even have one of those plastic things to restrict flow.  I knew what it was but I'm guessing a lot of people who buy it don't.  It's way too hot to actually enjoy, I mostly use it when we have friends or family over.  I'll get someone to eat just one drop on a cracker as I do the same...then sit back and watch the fun!  One drop isn't really a problem for me, but watching people on youtube eating a spoonful of it makes me cringe.

I have some (full price, sadly). I find about five drops on a burger is plenty. You're right that it doesn't really add much taste but that's about the right amount of kick for me.

Edited by tnguy
I've found the best thing to do with Dave's is to dip a toothpick in about 1/2" and use what sticks to it to flavor larger proportions of other things like salsa or dips. It works well with other foods but 1/2" may be too much for somethings. Best part is since you're not pouring all the way out the bottle, the cap and threads stay clean so it's harder to get the residue in your eye after handling the bottle. :rolleyes:

Do we have an Official Hot Sauce thread yet? Man I love me some hot sauce!!!

Dave

Have I sent you any Gib's bottled hell?  It's habanero, but it's not as hot as it sounds, more of a flavor thing.

If I haven't and you want one, just pm me your address.  

Edited by Sam1

Have I sent you any Gib's bottled hell?  It's habanero, but it's not as hot as it sounds, more of a flavor thing.

If I haven't and you want one, just pm me your address.  

No, but kinda scared of the Habanero sauces. I'll give it a try though.

Dave

No, but kinda scared of the Habanero sauces. I'll give it a try though.

Dave

It's got more bite than jalapeños but not too much more.  It's definitely not one of those chemically hot things that make your eyes water when you open the bottle.  Actually the best hot sauce on the planet imho - put it in everything, even mix a little in with our ketchup so we have spicy heinz for the BBQ's

I guess I am just a glutton for punishment. It's more of a novelty item for me. I've burned (pun INTENDED) several of my macho "there's no hot sauce too hot" tough guy buddies with that stuff. I have 6 or 7 bottles of hot sauce in the fridge, my favorite's are the ghost pepper sauces. Jalapeno and Habanero sauces just dont cut it anymore.

I like different hot sauces for their flavors and what it adds to the food. I like to "enjoy" my meals and do not enjoy the pain that some hot sauces are made to inflict! I think those evil "burn your face off" sauces are made as novelties. No way can anyone enjoy eating something that will destroy your meal and your face!

Dave

• Like 1

I like different hot sauces for their flavors and what it adds to the food. I like to "enjoy" my meals and do not enjoy the pain that some hot sauces are made to inflict! I think those evil "burn your face off" sauces are made as novelties. No way can anyone enjoy eating something that will destroy your meal and your face!

Dave

One man's "burn your face off" is another man's "It's a bit bland". It's possible to build up quite a tolerance to the heat (and endorphins are released so there's some chemical fun going on also). The American palette, on average, tends towards the milder in my experience. "Spicy" here does not mean the same as "Spicy" in the UK (though the litigious nature here may have something to do with that).

With that said, I'm rarely into "burn your face" off stuff but I like spicy food to have a decent kick.

Edited by tnguy

Daves Insanity doesn't hold a candle to this stuff. By FAR the hottest hot sauce I've ever had. One small drop almost destroys a bowl of chili. It makes it unbearable to eat for most.

aca54b016db0de70060edfebfe536847.jpg

b8a46b3e54d4d31dd64d8bf0c2dbebe4.jpg

3805720bf422eb56cd5113265cb5fe77.jpg

I am not sure if I have tried the .357 or not.  I am usually not as big a fan of the things that have to be called 'food additives' instead of 'hot sauce'.  I like a good, heat packed hot sauce - even one at the heat level of ghost peppers, scorpion peppers or so on.  A little bit of pure cap to enhance the heat might be okay as long as the pepper flavor is still there.  Once they start adding large amounts of pure cap and losing the flavor of pepper or other spices I won't enjoy it, as much.

One of the first 'extreme' hot sauces I ever bought was Mad Dog Inferno Sauce.  Their Inferno was supposedly the first sauce ever officially named 'world's hottest'.  That was several years ago, though, and the Scoville rating for Mad Dog Inferno is only said to be somewhere around 90,000.  Thing is, although it does contain some pepper extract,  it is also made with molasses, garlic and cloves so it had a wonderful flavor.  I used it to make hot wings a couple of times and ended up taking it to work to put on sandwiches - it was great mixed with a little mayo on a Chik-fil-a sandwich. 

One man's "burn your face off" is another man's "It's a bit bland". It's possible to build up quite a tolerance to the heat (and endorphins are released so there's some chemical fun going on also).

Yep.  Most of the local Indian restaurants have a heat scale of 1 to 5 to determine how how you want your food.  I order "Indian hot" which is off the scale.  It is really hot but, because of the other flavors, also really tasty.  I have tasted dishes that other people ordered - people who ordered theirs to be around a 2 or 3 - and they honestly didn't taste 'right' to me.  I wouldn't have enjoyed eating a whole plate of food at that, lower heat level.  Same thing when I go to a Thai restaurant and order "Thai hot."  I don't want to eat something that is so hot that I can't taste anything else but my tolerance is high enough that I probably can taste other flavors where some folks would just taste 'hot'.

Edited by JAB