Ruger Redhawk Mystery Pin

I bought some new Hogue grips for a Redhawk I acquired last month. When I removed the rubber grips the previous owner had installed, a small stainless pin fell out of the handle cavity. 
I've checked the parts diagram at http://www.brownells.com/schematics/Ruger-/Redhawk-sid90.aspx, and haven't found such a pin listed (yet). I'm wondering if any here might know where the pin came from. The pin is about 1/16" in diameter, about an inch long, and has a rounded head on one end.

Here's a photo of the pin:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6KWmjSyFECbN3NGb2dsWVhwcnd6SHpBNTFPLVB2bTdKU0pz/view?usp=sharing

Edited by rmidgett

That's probably the "tool" to hold main spring back for disassembly.

The spring situation looks different in that Redhawk from Ruger revos I have, so don't know exactly where it goes, but there's one in SP101 and GP100 grips, and that's what it's for.

Probably mentioned in the manual?  ;)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
I'm pretty sure the operation of the sp/gp/srh is identical.

After removing the grips, this is the next step for disassembly.

Cock the hammer and the hammer strut will travel down. You should see a hole drilled in the strut. Insert mystery pin here. Pull trigger/ ride hammer forward, pin will catch on the mainspring strut. You can now remove the hammer strut subassembly.
  • Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

TRADING POST NOTICE

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions.

TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is not a lobbying organization and has no affiliation with any lobbying organizations.  Beware of scammers using the Tennessee Gun Owners name, purporting to be Pro-2A lobbying organizations!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.