any Truck, Heat and Air guys here? (East TN)

vontar

First off, I really don't want to look for a repair shop for this job.

I need to get a screw (8mm) out. Problem is it is in a very tight place. I am including a link to a youtube video to better explain it. Just wondering if there is any that does this kind of work, that doesn't charge  arms and legs. I don't mind to pay but I certainly don't want to pay shop prices. In short, it controls the temperature controls in my 2003 Ford Sport Trac. The part is behind the glove box. 2 screws are easy, one is very difficult to get at. Appears I don't have low profile enough tools for the job.

Trying my 1/4 ratchet and my shortest 8mm and I haven't been able to get them to mate up.

(BTW research has lead me to it is either this part or another hard to get to one in the front center console near the gas pedal, however I think I just found different videos of different models for the same job. Mine certainly does have this part that I need to test.)

Last winter heat worked fine.  It has been set to cold all summer.

I did check and the hoses leading to and from the firewall are getting hot.  Not a circulation issue.  Also coolant is full.

Blower motor no issue and I can control the air flow to all the vents.  I just can't add Heated air to the flow.  AC, works great.  AC off, well it just circulates the current air temp around

This part is really the only thing I can believe the issue is.  I can't find a fuse that would only control it. 

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac.

I don't mind to pay, just don't want to get ripped off like I know I would at a shop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-36aM360V8

Edited by vontar

One thing I noticed re-watching the video looks like there might be way to manually turn the arm from the very top right side if I can get something in that hole.  Might be a way to test with out taking it completely out.  I will investigate that tomorrow.

Don't move a stepper motor manually. It will break.

I was starting to think that.  Another friend about the time I was thinking it, thought I might be able to put use that to determine if it is moving at all.  If it is moving well that might mean like the video suggest, a different issue.  Seems from what I have seen on the internet views these things strip out on their own which is the cause of this problem.  One of the plastic gears strips and makes the whole thing useless. 

DONE.

Victory is mine.

I made my own tool tonight.  I took a super china brand socket and cut it down to size for the job.

Took the part out, tested it and confirmed it was the problem.  40 dollar replacement, little trouble getting the D shaft inline with the D hole, but all is well.  It is working, changing, etc.

IMG_20141006_185727.jpg

• Like 1

Tobashadow I am not certain I would have got that in there, maybe.  But seem like one of the parts stores would have suggested that when I was looking for a tool to do that.

I came home from work on a mission to get it done. 

Most don't relize they have them or don't carry them. Mine came from Lowes and fits right on the back side of that. It has a long handle and I've done two of those in the past with it.

Good job making it work tho. Edited by Tobashadow

So you used my idea and now where is my "Idea" check, do you need my payPal address, I think

6,000 dollars will cover it just fine. :cool: :yum: :wave: :rofl:

Glad you got it fixed, now yall will be warm when ya want. :rock:

• Like 1

you might notice, I grind on both ends of the socket.  I took one end as far as I dared and decided I needed a bit more I did some on the ratchet side as well to get a bit more off.

It now has a special place in my tool box. 

It now has a special place in my tool box.

If your like me you will have forgotten were you put it next time you need it. There's nothing like good old american ingenuity. Glad to hear you got it fixed, however as a mechanic I would recommend taking to a shop. This assures you of the correct repair at the lowest cost.
  • Like 1