SSP Glock for IDPA

ac3boyz

Thinking about buying a Glock for IDPA.  Currently shooting an M&P for ESP but toying with the idea of trying a Glock for SSP.  Other than the 19 and 23, I'm not real well versed in Glock, so I'm looking for recommendations on which one(s) would be a good choice.  Planning on staying with 9mm.  Thoughts?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personal opinion, but the G34, the G17, and the G17L(longslide) are all 9mm and would be a great baseline gun to start with.

If you like the 40 cal, I'm real fond of the G24. It's a 6" barrel with a lightened slide. Awesome gun.

And you can get a Lone Wolf 357Sig for the 24 and have a real cannon.

Edited by hipower

Do you shoot your m&p in ssp?

I did before I upgraded the trigger. I like the m&p's but they've all needed apex parts to get the trigger pull the way I like and with my 9mm pro I went too far and made the gun ESP before I realized it.
[quote name="hipower" post="1197542" timestamp="1412990989"]
Personal opinion, but the G34, the G17, and the G17L(longslide) are all 9mm and would be a great baseline gun to start with.

Highpower, I get the feeling you've got a 34 you're looking to get rid of. :) Edited by ac3boyz

[quote name="hipower" post="1197542" timestamp="1412990989"]

Highpower, I get the feeling you've got a 34 you're looking to get rid of. :)

Actually, I have 2 of them that I've traded for over the years. I have offered one by pm, but that's not the reason for the above comment. I also recently got one of the 17L models. At this point, I still like my Glocks and stand by them as some of the best I own short of my Smith wheel guns.

If you're going to be at the Armory Tuesday night you're welcome to run my 34. It's not stock by any means, but will give you a feel for how it handles. Can also bring a stock 17 if you want to feel the difference and how they shoot for comp.

Fyi magwell and +.200 bases are REALLY pushing it to fit in the box!
I agree with hipower. If you ever choose to run it in ESP, a lot of magwells for the gen 4 require the medium back strap essentially doing away with any advantage of the changeable back strap benefit of the gen 4.

I'm almost to the point of doing a dremel grip reduction on mine since I have smaller hands. Just hard to make the leap and start grinding.

I agree with hipower. If you ever choose to run it in ESP, a lot of magwells for the gen 4 require the medium back strap essentially doing away with any advantage of the changeable back strap benefit of the gen 4.

True, but I'm more than happy with my M&P for ESP.

Special thanks to Highpower who took the time to locate a gen 4 at a LGS and then meet me there with his gen 3 for me to compare. Great guy even if he talks a lot.
He won't admit it but he liked the gen 4 the best.

Hope to see the new toy/tool in action soon!