Ruger LCR 9mm

Guest TheSilverFox

If Ruger would have done it "my way" and cut the cylinder to fit the 9mm and set the barrel back, they could have got another 1/2" of barrel for the same size gun and made the energy even better.  :pleased:

But again, what's the plan for shell extraction with a cut cylinder? I'd love for that to work realistically, but I'm ignorant as to how it can unless you want to push empties out with a pen or something.

If Ruger would have done it "my way" and cut the cylinder to fit the 9mm and set the barrel back, they could have got another 1/2" of barrel for the same size gun and made the energy even better.  :pleased:

Not sure how that works in a revolver. There IS a throat in the cylinder. So, if they move the throat back to where it's a 9mm chamber, that may be the equivalent of what you are saying.

But again, what's the plan for shell extraction with a cut cylinder? I'd love for that to work realistically, but I'm ignorant as to how it can unless you want to push empties out with a pen or something.

Extraction would be the same. He's talking about making the cylinder shorter, and then moving everything back. I'm thinking that the "barrel" actually starts in the cylinder anyway. At least, that's where the shot start pressure is developed.

Extraction would be the same. He's talking about making the cylinder shorter, and then moving everything back. I'm thinking that the "barrel" actually starts in the cylinder anyway. At least, that's where the shot start pressure is developed.

It is and unless you are talking about a Governor or Judge it isn't much of a concern. At least you don't have to worry as much about flame cutting, or so I would assume.

Yes, casings can be pushed out with a pen or cleaning rod if you desire to not use moonclips. I recently heard that you can just pop the rim of another case under the stuck case and pop them out. I have .380 derringer tha I have to do that way and never thought of the 9mm revolvers working the same way.

The things that interest me in the 9mm LCR are: 1) can I make fast effective follow up shots with either hand one-handed 2) will the moonclips keep their cartridges secure for fast extraction and reloading?  If the answers are "Yes" for both 1 and 2, then it is a viable and marketable option to other snubbies and snubbie calibers.

So, I guess I'm not missing anything.

Reckon they make any 9mm guns that don't need moon clips? :) I have a soft spot for revolvers, and own a couple in .38sp, and one in 45 colt. Can't imagine them redesigning the pistol for this application. I know they will sell some, but probably not enough to support a stand alone design.

I believe that Charter Arms makes a 9mm snubbie that doesn't require moon clips.

Patton insofar as speedier reloads go you're correct full moon clips are where its at, provided said FMC are properly constructed. Ruger will very likely overbuild theirs so that flexing doesn't dislodge rounds or the entire clip bend rendering it useless. Still I spent many years carrying a J or K Frame S&W with an extra speed loader in a jacket pocket and speed strip (or two) in my pants pocket. I'd gladly carry a FMC in a jacket pocket but pass on a pants pocket. Simple solutions for carrying FMC in speed loader pouches render this a non issue though.

I was joking. Somewhere in the thread, I got convinced that 9mm isn't such a bad idea.

LOL. I hear you and agree too. The bottom line being its not enough of a step up from the 38 Special or step down from the 357 Magnum to really matter insofar as a carry gun goes. There's really far to many variables so aside from novelty or having a 9mm revolver to supplement ones 9mm pistol its a non issue to me. Still though I'll seriously look at one, just as I've done with the LCR in 38 and 357 but then I never purchased either of them. Will it be a good gun? I think it will but how it sells is another story.  

• Like 1

LOL. I hear you and agree too. The bottom line being its not enough of a step up from the 38 Special or step down from the 357 Magnum to really matter insofar as a carry gun goes. There's really far to many variables so aside from novelty or having a 9mm revolver to supplement ones 9mm pistol its a non issue to me. Still though I'll seriously look at one, just as I've done with the LCR in 38 and 357 but then I never purchased either of them. Will it be a good gun? I think it will but how it sells is another story.  

I have a couple of J frames, and will throw one in my jacket pocket when I'm in the mood. And I LOVE the 357 in a service size gun. With that said, I'm a semi-auto guy. I owned revolvers (S&W) exclusively until the late '70's. I don't buy into the reliability fears. I even have rock solid confidence in my LCP. It has been shot a LOT by a friend that is into self abuse. :)

The thought of opening a gun and loading a 5 round lump of ammo just doesn't compute to me. I have learned some stuff in this thread, and may not be done learning. But, other than nostalgia, I don't get the wheel gun thing. The only exception, to me, is the big bore stuff for dangerous game.