Para-ordinance?

Mike

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mugster

Double stack 1911's seem like a good idea. Until you've owned one for awhile. There's always a little issue either with feeding or the mags. The single stack is probably the way to go.

I suggest going over to m1911.org and posting the same question. They'll probably know the state of affairs on the double stackers.

Cool looking weapon. I had a stainless P14-45 when they came out long ago, and at about $900+, I was very dissapointed. When I tried to resale it, I got screwed. Maybe this one is better. It was too thick in the grip for carry. It was too heavy as well. Good luck with your purchase.

I wouldnt recommend Para...they are too hit or miss from all the reviews I have heard/read. I think also that you are kind of compromising the 1911 design by going double stack...it just doesnt feel the same in your hand with that wider grip though admittedly more rounds would be nice...I think pro-mag makes a drum mag for the 1911 lol or you can just get some chip mccormick 10rd powermags that actually work great and keep the single stack design.

Edited by Magiccarpetrides
yo yo

I had a Para P14 Limited.Best auto pistol I have ever owned.I had over 20K rds through it and it never once malfuntioned.Extremly accurate and I thought the grip felt fine.Actually it fit my hand better than a Glock 17.

I had a P14 for years and loved it, only had one problem with it in several thousand rounds, and that ended up being an ammo problem. They are a very polarizing gun, the double stack doesn't fit everyone's hand quite right. It's the only pistol that I knew within 10 seconds of picking one up that it was the one for me. Handle one, shoot one if you can before you buy one.

buk

Guest Brian@GunDepot

My daily carry is a Para Slim Hawg Covert.

While it is true there are good and bad stories everywhere on the internet, but mine has been flawless with all ammo I've tried in it. The accuracy for a 3" is very good in my opinion as well.

As for the Big Hawg, it comes down to personal preference with the double stack 14 capacity grip/magazine... but I like that model a lot. We've sold quite a few Paras, including that model, and not one single complaint. My opinion is the hi cap with either hurt or help your on the resale end of it as most people want a classic single stack 1911 though....but if you buy it to keep forever this doesn't matter much.

Also, depending on where you live in the state, Para's customer service center is located in Sevierville, TN.

I'm sure you've also seen the demonstration by Todd Jarrett shooting 1000rds in 10 minutes without a single jam/misfire/eject problem... setting a new record... here is a 'quick' version of it:

[ame]

[/ame] Edited by Brian@GunDepot

So far, only 2 people that have replied to the thread still currently have theirs. If they're the best you ever owned and work flawlessly, why don't you still have them? Just curious. If I find a perfect pistol, I'm hanging on to it. Just my :censored:.

we have a P-14 and P-18. we did have 2 P-14 I sold mine for another project. the wife still has her P-14 and uses it CDP and limited 10. my P-18 has a few thousand rounds through it. i use it for a limited gun (uspsa) and in ESP in idpa.

they are great guns. but like anything, they have what they do not like. the P-14,s did not like blazer brass, but would and will run regular blazer. odd. the P-18 is not so picky.

Its weird...Paras were all the rage for a 1911 when I was stuck living in Kommifornia. I haven't even seen them in stores out here. I have a single stack, and it has been flawless. I cant think of one hang up with it. I haven't heard any complaints from my buddies that own them either. I opt for combat tupperware for carry for many reasons, but I would have no problem carrying the Para. I cant say that for my Kimber.

this old man has come to one conclusion from the gun boards i frequent.. the firearm choice is just like the dodge, chevy and ford debate. what ever works for you is what you should use. i have owned nothing but chrysler products since 1961 and they have worked great for me. most of my friends drive the other 2. i carried a star pd for years had no problems with it .now i carry the para so far it has worked great. both guns misses have been operator error.

I cut my teeth with a Glock so the larger grip on my Warthog was a natural transition. It runs through anything I put in the double stack mag and is more accurate than I ever expected.

what??? how do you cut your teeth with a glock????