Aim surplus Mosin Sniper rifle

So this is the cheapest I've seen a Mosin Sniper for ever since I started paying attention to the prices of c&r firearms. I want to say I've typically seen them going for about 799. Aim has some for 549. Would this be my best bet for getting one?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F3MOSIN9130PU&name=Russian+1891%2f30+PU+7.62x54R+Mosin+Nagant+Sniper+Rifle&groupid=254&utm_source=03+Collectors&utm_campaign=c8349ea4fe-11072014CR&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_9df2ba8aca-c8349ea4fe-19251113

Hopefully that link works, posting this from mobile.

AIM and Classic have been running these off and on at $549 for a few months now.  Last year they were $599, that was also the lowest price Mosin snipers had been offered for, but that was before the current slump in the firearms market.  I doubt you will find them priced any lower in the future, due to the sanctions on Russia and the turmoil in Ukraine none are in the import pipeline now.  Both companies buy from the same importers, it's likely that these came from the same batch.  Both companies are good to deal with.  Go for it.

"Barrel condition is not guaranteed, however, the bores we have inspected have far exceeded our expectations."

This part of the email is what made me wonder the kind of condition these were in. It made me a bit cautious about getting it, because I don't know exactly what their expectations were and what I could expect to see when I got one.

Most of the "fake" snipers were built by Century after importing them to the US in the 90's/early 2000's.  It doesn't pay to build a "fake" sniper today, especially one that can survive even a casual lookover without being patently obvious.  Individual parts and gunsmithing won't leave any room for profit at $549, even using the repo scopes and mounts available, this was possible only several years ago when Russian snipers were bringing $1000 and the scopes and mounts were being made overseas.  There are many knowledgeable collectors who have bought these PU's from both AIM and Classic in the last few years and been quite happy with them.

Little brown truck stopped by the house and brought me a present! I'll try and get a few pictures tomorrow.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I opened the box. I'm so used to dripping cosmoline but this was fairly cleaned up. I will ask though how I should clean up a little remaining cosmo that's on the scope. Just a little heat and a cloth do just fine?

Little brown truck stopped by the house and brought me a present! I'll try and get a few pictures tomorrow.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I opened the box. I'm so used to dripping cosmoline but this was fairly cleaned up. I will ask though how I should clean up a little remaining cosmo that's on the scope. Just a little heat and a cloth do just fine?

Lots of choices. Here's a little reading to give you some ideas. http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/50749-official-cosmoline-removal-thread/

Depending on how bad it is, or I guess isn't, a rag and some mineral spirits may be all you need.

Just wipe it off with a rag.

Well, I've been unable to get any pictures, camera isn't cooperating. The serial numbers match on everything except the scope, it's been electro penciled to match. It also has no date on it.

The rifle is extremely nice and has a ton of  markings on it that I'll have to take some time to figure the meaning behind. There are way more than I've seen on any of my other rifles.

• Like 1