Truck or Trunk Guns?

Paisan

I guess it depends on how secure your vehicle/storage is.  My long gun, when in my vehicle, is not subject to a a "smash and grab" type theft. They are secure enough that it would have to be a "smash, grind, pry, beat, ect. . ." type theft. which is less than likely with where I park the vehicle.

• Like 1

I guess it depends on how secure your vehicle/storage is.  My long gun, when in my vehicle, is not subject to a a "smash and grab" type theft. They are secure enough that it would have to be a "smash, grind, pry, beat, ect. . ." type theft. which is less than likely with where I park the vehicle.

Agreed. Not everyone's home/vehicle security preps are equal. It doesn't take much imagintion to envision many scenarios where a long gun would make all the difference. And it doesn't take much effort or money to make a trunk gun a viable reality.

Most vehicle thefts are smash n grabs where the owner did not take all precautions - including a quality alarm system. Add NRA or H&K stickers on a car parked in front of a prohibited location and, well....
There are plus and minus to carrying a long gun in ones vehicle on a regular basis. Once you've had a prized gun stolen from your vehicle you might reconsider what's left inside your vehicle. For myself I consider a bail out/get home bag with minimal gear my best option. A firearms instructor friend who's now deceased believed a double-barreled shotgun with slugs was the cats meow in getting oneself home to a rifle. In this vein a single shot 12 GA SG w/a cylinder bore or modified choke is a
handy tool. Mine had sub caliber inserts for .22LR, .45LC/410 & Muzzle loading SG w 209 primer.

Don't know if this is a little off topic, how secure are some of the vehicle safes? I know they make them just never saw anyone on here post about them. Might be a good idea.

I have a small one in each of our personal vehicles for my carry pistol to be able to lock my pistol up when in areas I can't carry. I did change out the lock cylinders to better ones and cut new locking bars for mine as well as bolting them in a space where you cant get at them with a long pry bar. The one I use in dealer/rental cars is just the simple cable, around the seat frame but I never really drive most of those anywhere remotely sketchy.

There are plus and minus to carrying a long gun in ones vehicle on a regular basis. Once you've had a prized gun stolen from your vehicle you might reconsider what's left inside your vehicle. For myself I consider a bail out/get home bag with minimal gear my best option. A firearms instructor friend who's now deceased believed a double-barreled shotgun with slugs was the cats meow in getting oneself home to a rifle. In this vein a single shot 12 GA SG w/a cylinder bore or modified choke is a
handy tool. Mine had sub caliber inserts for .22LR, .45LC/410 & Muzzle loading SG w 209 primer.

Despite my precautions against theft, I didn't choose a prized rifle for this duty. It's a beater AK that still functions 100%, but that will cause no gnashing of teeth or open weeping if lost. I'm 53 and have never experienced a theft from a vehicle, nor has any of my friends. I work at one of Chattanooga's largest employers and can tell you that thefts from vehicles on our lots are very rare, but almost always precipitated by carelessness on the part of the owner. I've got the bug out bag and a handgun with plenty of loaded mags, but nothing says "Let's end this BS right freakin' NOW" like a determined, skilled man with a rifle.

• Like 1

I make sure I have a battle rifle if I travel, but to get around locally I don't find it necessary. While crime and a need to have an AK could happen anywhere I truly believe that through smart choices and being aware of surroundings the need for such daily carry can be mitigated.  

Same with leaving a gun in the truck. All our circumstances differ. I have little worry about someone breaking into vehicles here at home. You'd have to be nuts to choose my driveway to come down and hope there is a prize waiting.  But for some others here I am sure they don't lock the doors to the vehicle because the window would be busted out if someone wanted entry. I bet they don't leave guns inside.

I really have to agree with both Eric and TMF.  I see Eric's point (mikey's too) about leaving a firearm unattended.  But I also see TMF's point about the practicality of keeping the gun in the truck. I don't like people noticing what I am loading up.   

Edited by Mike.357

I've left them overnight in my vehicle before but that is usually because I forget to retrieve them and thank god that they're still there the next morning when I open my truck. I TRY to keep a long-gun in it when I'm going to be near it. If not, I try to keep it clear of any weapons besides hand tools.

I've only had a vehicle burgled once.  It was 1996.  At that time, I had been keeping a cheap Universal .30 carbine behind the rear seat.  I had just removed it days before the loser broke in.  They took a mag that I had left in the console, but the carbine was safe.  

Learned a lesson.  I still sometimes leave a firearm in the vehicle, but it's secured beyond a broken window.