Anyone use a Bluetooth speaker?

I've considered buying an Android compatible Bluetooth speaker for the garage. I'm sure I could just go with something like a Bose and be just about guaranteed a quality product, but something like that is well over my budget. Anyone found a decent one that wouldn't break the bank.

Edited by TripleDigitRide

check out the speakers at your local verizon store. I got one that is waterproof/dustproof and shock proof. For around $150. Plus i'll use it when we go kayaking cause it will float if dropped overboard.

How inexpensive are you wanting to go? remember sometimes the cheaper ones sound better than some of the expensive ones. But you get what you pay for.

check out the speakers at your local verizon store. I got one that is waterproof/dustproof and shock proof. For around $150. Plus i'll use it when we go kayaking cause it will float if dropped overboard.

How inexpensive are you wanting to go? remember sometimes the cheaper ones sound better than some of the expensive ones. But you get what you pay for.

I'd like to get by as cheaply as possible. I don't need concert quality, but decent sound quality would be nice. I have listened to a couple, and neither had a balanced sound. One was nothing but bass, and the other lacked any bass at all.
My son purchased a small JBL from Target. It was about $40 and is about the size of a donut. I am amazed at the sound that silly thing produces. It may not enough for your garage depending on what your doing, but it is plenty loud for in home listening.
  • Like 1

I have a Braven BRV-X, and hands down it blows the Bose out of the water.  Sound quality and volume is incredible, its extremely durable, and waterproof.  It does play music for 10hrs like the battery says too!  I wouldn't hesitate to buy another!  

Depending on what your budget is, check the offerings by TDK. They make a "Trek" line that includes the A33/A34 and the A360, which I have. Both versions are somewhat water resistant, with the A360 being slightly more so. Both produce pretty nice sound, but the A360 has the added benefit of having a USB port you can use to charge your phone while you are playing it. It also produces sound in all directions, hence the name. I use the A360 at home to listen to music all day while working. Absolutely love it. The 360 is in the middle. 

tdklife.jpg?itok=ycpc78Lq

Edited by LagerHead

I have the last generation of Bose, the large size ( http://www.amazon.com/Bose%C2%AE-SoundLink%C2%AE-Bluetooth-Mobile-Speaker/dp/B0090Z3SPU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418006035&sr=8-1&keywords=bose+soundlink+ii )

. I love it! I know you don't want to break the bank so this is just food for thought. Every April I ride my motorcycle to the Texas Hill Country for our annual gathering of my riding buddies. Every evening we sit around telling lies, listening to music and having a few tasty adult beverages. There are both sizes of the Jawbone Jamboxes present as well as many other brands, sizes and shapes. Hands down everyone there this year was jockeying to connect to the Bose. Again mine is last generation which means it doesn't act as a speaker for incoming calls, the newer speakers do. If you get a lot of calls that you answer it may be worth paying a bit more for that feature.

My son purchased a small JBL from Target. It was about $40 and is about the size of a donut. I am amazed at the sound that silly thing produces. It may not enough for your garage depending on what your doing, but it is plenty loud for in home listening.

I got my wife one of these last year for Christmas.  it is awesome.  Unbelievable that a speaker so small could get so loud and yet still play very clearly, with a full range of sound.

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Micro-II-Ultra-Portable-Black/dp/B0096T7TQE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1418007820&sr=8-6&keywords=JVC+bluetooth+speaker

My old lady picked me one up for the shower. She had a groupon and it was about 20 bones. It's water proof, has a suction cup and does the phone thing, not that I do. The bad thing is it doesn't control volume. I like it though and the blue tooth is pretty cool.

Anything Bose is worth it's weight though!
I have a Jam Box. Got it for about $80 at Wallymart. It is rechargeable and claims to go 8 hours but I have gotten 12-14 from it. It sounds good too. I have owned a few but it's my favorite.

Correction: it's a Jam party, not Jam box. This is the one I'm speaking of
http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/26011032?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedItemId=26011039&adid=22222222228018081255&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=40330507112&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78289846352&veh=sem Edited by glowdotGlock

That one is wired.

- OS

Sorry, they look the same.  Actually, this one can be wired too, or use the bluetooth, or daisy chain several together.  They sound great either way, but via Bluetooth they actually sound better than wired.  They play for hours on a charge as well.

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Micro-Wireless-Ultra-Portable-Connectivity/dp/B009AYLDSU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1418092893&sr=8-5&keywords=JVC+bluetooth+speaker

HA! When I went to find the correct link, there is a note on amazon saying I bought it Dec 8th, 2013.  A year ago today.  

Edited by atlas3025
  • 3 weeks later...
After a bunch of research and listening, I went with the Harman/Kardon Onyx Studio. In my opinion, it is, by far, the best option at Best Buy. I listened to the Bose (models available at Best Buy) , Jambox, Dr. Dre, and everything else on the shelf. The Harman/Kardon left them in the dust.

http://www.google.com/shopping/product/8220109467772868241?lsf=seller:1311674,store:12402872360415458370&prds=oid:10361957175488626313&hl=en&ei=d0CbVMC5KImggwTSqISoCg&kpid=6677169&lsft=ref:212,loc:1&ksid=0a772665-7605-4698-b477-5f2a844e4487&ksprof_id=11&ksaffcode=8815&ksdevice=m Edited by TripleDigitRide