Finally got around to setting up my plate carrier

DKX, they're made of Dyneema. Watched that very same review. If nothing else, Nutn always has one thing that is pretty fregin cool pop up from time to time. Gotta get me some of that AND justify the cost. Wanna save the weight, you're gonna pay for it.

That's it!! Yep, reduced weight gets expensive and those plates are really really light! I'm just hoping the technology catches on because the more players there are in the game the cheaper they'll get. If everyone starts want those then it should drive down the prices on the other lighter option available today.

Here's a kit I got recently from Chinook Medical when they released it. It's a little bit bigger then a double magazine pouch.
1220141326b_zps6de1c620.jpg

I'll go into it more a little later but I'm on my phone and it's a pain to type it out.

If you wouldn't mind posting a link when you have a moment I'd appreciate it. I'd like to see the dimensions

Haven't decided yet. I've got one waiting but not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. Open to suggestions though. I have other mag pouches that are configures differently so I can move things around if needed.

I have considered an SOE LPAK. Would mount on the back of the carrier instead of on the front/sides where space always seems to be at a premium...

http://www.originalsoegear.com/products/lpak-low-profile-aid-kit

Med and/or IFAK on the back only works if you know you'll have someone to reach it and provide aid when needed.  Unless you're always moving out in at least a buddy team, I'd want the med kit somewhere within reach, or in a bag that I can pull it from in a pinch all on my own.

Have thought about getting a subload to put my ifak on, but not really sure how that would work either....it does not mesh well on my chest next to my mags...would rather have another taco there anyway...

This is what I have so far....
865409171c8768aba042cdeb7cedb50f.jpg

Edited by jacob
  • Like 1

Have thought about getting a subload to put my ifak on, but not really sure how that would work either....it does not mesh well on my chest next to my mags...would rather have another taco there anyway...

Have you ever run with a subload? If I can find it I have a black large med pouch subload that you can try before buying one. Some guys dont mind them, but I do everything in my power to keep all my gear of my legs. Thigh holsters, subloads, even tying down a knife. It just drives me nuts. I know others the same way, and then some people it doesnt bother at all. PM me your address and Ill send you this subload to try before you make a large investment

Which carrier did you end up going with?

The armor isnt light. I have not weighed the gear but would estimate maybe about 25lbs or so. Now after I get a chance to take some classes wearing it, I may opt for something slightly lighter but that doesnt break the bank in the process. I have mainly worn it to get used to the extra weight and have done some push ups and burpee type movements so I wont fall out. I am getting back into shape and am pretty sure that it will get easier as my cardio and strength comes back...

In a nutshell, if all you can afford is steel, get them. IMHO, any protection is better than none. But if you can afford more and can make a knowledgeable purchase go another route to see the weight reduction without loss of performance... Edited by jacob
  • Like 1

The armor isnt light. I have not weighed the gear but would estimate maybe about 25lbs or so. Now after I get a chance to take some classes wearing it, I may opt for something slightly lighter but that doesnt break the bank in the process. I have mainly worn it to get used to the extra weight and have done some push ups and burpee type movements so I wont fall out. I am getting back into shape and am pretty sure that it will get easier as my cardio and strength comes back...

In a nutshell, if all you can afford is steel, get them. IMHO, any protection is better than none. But if you can afford more and can make a knowledgeable purchase go another route to see the weight reduction without loss of performance...

My EXACT thoughts on the matter. 10% of something is better than a 100% of nothing.

Soooo, how heavy is that armor? 

Not sure what size Jacob's plates are but the AR500 large shooter plates are 10lbs each per the AR500 website. I haven't weighed mine to say for sure that they way exactly that but they feel pretty close to that.

Have you ever run with a subload? If I can find it I have a black large med pouch subload that you can try before buying one. Some guys dont mind them, but I do everything in my power to keep all my gear of my legs. Thigh holsters, subloads, even tying down a knife. It just drives me nuts. I know others the same way, and then some people it doesnt bother at all. PM me your address and Ill send you this subload to try before you make a large investment

I like that mag pouch with 2 double stacks. I don't think I have one like that but may pick one up in order to free up some real estate without giving up mags. I guess I'd gain an extra AR mag but lose my pistol mags.. They're easy enough to find room for though.

• Like 1

Not sure what size Jacob's plates are but the AR500 large shooter plates are 10lbs each per the AR500 website. I haven't weighed mine to say for sure that they way exactly that but they feel pretty close to that.

I have the 10×12 plates. I figured around 20lb for the plates and 5lb or so for the carrier and misc gear...might be closer to 30lb, havent weighed it and didnt really plan on changing anything other than removing the med kit and replacing with another mag taco...