Nashville Newspaper has Searchable Carry Database

Guest Len

Rana Douglas, a Shelbyville mother of three teen sons, said, "I believe we have the right to bear arms and to protect ourselves, but I don't think you should be toting a gun around."
No, No of course not! Heaven forbid we protect ourselves with what the criminals already have QUICK LET ME START CARRYING AROUND A BIG ROCK!! People annoy me. It's stupid comments from these idiot soccer moms who don't understand how the real world works until they have their car door ripped open and are robbed, raped, and beat to hell that irk the hell out of me! Then they wonder why it happened to them?! WHY WAS NOBODY THERE TO HELP ME?! Because no one is responsible for you! YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU!

I'm really mad and preaching to the choir so I'll leave it at this THE WORLD NEEDS A PLAGUE UPON STUPID!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

It's my position that we won't censor very many things here at TGO because it stifles the free exchange of information. That said, it is always appreciated when a member opts to censor themselves if the information being exchanged might not be in the best interest of the community.

I'll let 0down's conscience be his guide.

...THE WORLD NEEDS A PLAGUE UPON STUPID!

:D

Indeed!

Of course, another way to look at it is to recognize that stupid people are their own plague...

I just don't want the consequences of the 'stupid-plague' to be imposed upon me!

:mad:

That has been my argument for a long time. If we remove the warning labels, then natural selection would take over and the stupid will rid themselves of the world.

Let us look at all other species on this planet. Through natural selection, the strong survive. Now as humans, we have decided to go against the man upstairs plan and are playing "god" with many things from birth defects all the way to the idiot with a hot cup of coffee.

And good gosh, how many people can we have veiwing this thread at one time.

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=tcat colSpan=2>Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 10 (8 members and 2 guests) </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1 colSpan=2>saintsfanbrian, 0down, Broadside, Cannon Fodder, dkd83, kckndrgn, macho999, utarch00 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Guest Hyaloid

Speaking of warning labels and mandatory "safety" protocols (i.e. bicycle helmets)...

They are damned near pointless anyhow... John Stossel mentioned them in a funny report HERE

Of particular interest, he mentiones The Peltzman Effect

Guest 0down

One point of my previous post was to show how much information you could find in a two minute search. I deliberately let out some information I found and limited my search to only free sources. After a few comments, I edited my post.

I guess my point is I am twice as mad about this that I was about the VA incident. They had to have heard about the other reporter kicking that hornets nest. They had to have known of the other story, the newspapers apology, and the VA State police's AND AG removing the database from the public. They knew all this and decided to publish the list anyway. They knew they were publishing a list of (by definition) law abiding citizens. Some of whom have been victims of stalkers, rapists, robbers, and would-be murderers. They endangered some people. The Tennessean saw what happened, the fallout and political firestorm, and said "Meh, sounds like a good idea. We need to bring this kind of deep thinking to Tennessee!"

Do I feel if re-publishing that womans tax records is remotely comparable as what she did? No.

Thanks for all of your input, let me hear your thoughts.

0down, I wasn't trying to come off as a "snitch" or anything, I just feel that we, as gun owners, should take the moral high ground and not do unto others as they did to us. Personally, I think the reporter should be fired for posting that dreck, but hey, who am I but a gun nut that "packs heat."

They knew they were publishing a list of (by definition) law abiding citizens. Some of whom have been victims of stalkers, rapists, robbers, and would-be murderers. They endangered some people.

That's what I wanted to point out this morning but didn't have time.

I just feel that we, as gun owners, should take the moral high ground and not do unto others as they did to us.

Saints, I think we need to get down and dirty in the trenches and make sure we win. But you are sweeter than I am. :mad:

Guest Len

Bump bumpity bump.

That has been my argument for a long time. If we remove the warning labels, then natural selection would take over and the stupid will rid themselves of the world.

Let us look at all other species on this planet. Through natural selection, the strong survive. Now as humans, we have decided to go against the man upstairs plan and are playing "god" with many things from birth defects all the way to the idiot with a hot cup of coffee.

Not to play sides here, but I am 100% in favor of 0down posting her info! Actions have consequences. Reporters think they are immune and are some sort of righteous hand for the people that believe the liberal spittle they believe in, but it's time to let them know the majority don't care what the magical talking heads think! You wanna post info about us well guess what suckers two can play that game. You don't win a war by playing nice and if you think this isn't a war you're extremely wrong.

Guest Phantom6

Been pulled as of about 1500 hrs. They realized that they had a real s**t sandwich in their lunch bucket today. :mad:

Guest looneeetunes
:mad: scratch my last post i didnt read all the replies before i went to the tennessean. i see where you guys said it was pulled
Guest mrnord

Ok, so the paper pulled the link. The damage had been done. People now know that the HGC permit database is public domain.

I have seen some remarks here about the public domain of the HGC database and how nothing can be done...

CONTACT YOUR LEGISLATORS!!!!!!

Here is the letter I sent sent to all of my legislators, and I will be calling them tomorrow:

Dear *****,

My Name is Carl. I am one of your constituents living in Mosheim TN 37818. It has come to my attention that the fact that I am a Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit holder is public knowledge. This is not acceptable to me. I feel that this is at least an invasion of my privacy. In a worst case scenario, a criminal who is looking to rob my family can look up my HGC permit status and know that he can acquire at least one gun from my home. The HGC database can also be used to find out who is NOT an HGC permit holder and be targeted as easier prey. Another way the database can detrimentally impact me personally, is that a prospective employer can access it and depending on their views on gun carry and ownership, exclude me from fair consideration because of my permit status. Please, take action on this issue and help make access to the HGC permit database restricted. It is my understanding that even police officials are not privy to this information at traffic stops, so why does a private citizen need to have access?

Thank You for your prompt and positive efforts on my and other HGC permit holders behalf.

Sincerely,

Carl

Mosheim TN 37818

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please feel free to copy and use this letter.

Carl

Anyone who thinks the database has been pulled because the Tennessean has realized the errors of its ways is wrong.

There simply was not enough bandwidth and server power to keep up with the search requests. Once they figure out a way to keep up, it will be posted again.

I spent 20 minutes on it after I first found it and wasn't able to get a single completed request.

Guest Len
It is my understanding that even police officials are not privy to this information at traffic stops,

Is this true? I was under the impression a LEO could learn this info by using the DL#, which is the same as the carry permit #. Does anyone know for sure?

Guest CrazyLincoln

From the article:

Pete Thurman, left, of east Nashville, and Ronnie Carnahan, of Mt. Juliet, load their clips before firing their guns at the range at Gun City USA on Friday.
:D

What editor let this by?

The bank robbers were seen escaping in a green sports utility vehicle as shown from this security footage.

800pxkilowattdn7.jpg

BTW. Just cause its public record, doesn't mean its for public display.

It is my understanding that even police officials are not privy to this information at traffic stops, so why does a private citizen need to have access?
Is this true? I was under the impression a LEO could learn this info by using the DL#, which is the same as the carry permit #. Does anyone know for sure?

True.

Tennessee has the permit status in the information that is pulled up when they run your DL.

When I was with the Highway Patrol I was required to inform a Trooper on the permit status of an individual.

Guest mrnord
True.

Tennessee has the permit status in the information that is pulled up when they run your DL.

When I was with the Highway Patrol I was required to inform a Trooper on the permit status of an individual.

Interesting. I was told at my HGC permit class last year that that info was not available to the officers at a traffic stop. Was I given wrong information? Think I'll call my Sheriff's Office tomorrow and get it straight from the horses mouth.

Carl