.22 lr go to gun

Okay what is everyone's go to .22? I know we all have more than 1, right? but which is the one that sees the most trigger time? Not necessarily the prettiest, lightest or the most expensive, but the one that is just a blast to shoot?

I am sure 98% of you will say my 10/22, but I am hoping there are some variations out there. While I have a 10/22 and like shooting it it is not my favorite and would trade/sell it if need be. I also have a Remington Mohawk 10C, light and fun, but not the fav. Also there is the new Marlin 60 wife just got me last Christmas. Neat little gun and pretty accurate too. Still not the fav. Even the old Winchester 61, neat old rifle but heavy and just not the fav.

But way back in the corner of the safe, the one that got passed down from my Granddad, and will be the last rifle I ever part with. The most accurate, non-scoped rifle in my safe, yes more accurate than that little 10/22, and definitely not something you see at the range everytime, at least I have only ever seen one other in person, from the great state of Conneticut, New Haven to be exact, "DRUMROLL PLEASE" The Mossberg Model 152.

I know I went through a lot to tell you that, but it is my favorite .22. Definitely the most accurate .22 I have shot. and I would love to have another of these old Mossy .22 but they just don't seem to be around alot. The only other one I have seen was at a show last year and the guy was asking $400 for it. It was in pristine shape, but that is not what i wanted, I want one with character, like Grandad's. I want scratches and blemishes and real use from it, because that is what makes them shoot so good.

Okay now that I have told my story, tell me yours. I want to know the fav. even if it is a 10/22. But I would love to hear about some more obscure ones out there.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GlocKingTN

I dont own a .22lr anymore. Had a .22lr S&W handgun, but didnt like it! I am still in the market for a 10/22 though!

NO 22!!!!!! How dare you? By order of the gun gods you must go get one NOW!

But seriously, they are a serious blast and cheeeeeeeapppppp to shoot. You could get one of the Marlin 60's used for under $100. And when you can find 10/22's used they are usually $150ish.

Guest GlocKingTN
NO 22!!!!!! How dare you? By order of the gun gods you must go get one NOW!

But seriously, they are a serious blast and cheeeeeeeapppppp to shoot. You could get one of the Marlin 60's used for under $100. And when you can find 10/22's used they are usually $150ish.

Wally world has the 10/22's new for $179! Im gonna try to get one from an individual, to save on tax of course! Someone will have one for sale one day!:mad:

Guest Phantom6

My favorite .22 is a Marlin 883SS. Of course that's a .22WMR but it's a tack driver and makes small varments do really neat acrobatics. As far as .22 LR goes, my 10/22 is not only fun but extermely accurate at 50 yds (5 in a dime). I also have a little Armscor AR-22 which looks like a scaled down M16. It has a retractable stock (slides down around the receiver) and believe it or not shoots groups almost as tight as the 10/22 at 50 yds. Then again there's my old Noble pump action .22LR. It's fun to shoot too. The pump action attracts a lot of attention at the public range as not many folks have seen a pump action .22 up close. Mfgrs. are starting to make more of them again but I sure have'nt seen any of 'em here in my neck of the woods.

I have a few .22's and I had to think about which one is my favorite and then it hit me like a ton of bricks, it is the one I take just for plinking because I like the sights on it, it is accurate, and I don't have to worry about it getting scratched and best of all I bought it used for $80 out the door, it is the Romanian Training Rifle.

Have had a bunch of .22s, never settled on one which I really wanted to hang on to. The next pistol I'd like to own is a Browning Buckmark, ever one which I have ever handled or fired was head-and-shoulders above its competition. The next .22 rifle which I am going to acquire will possibly be a 10/22, but probably something more along the lines of a .223 Rem 700 (not a rimfire).

Just adding a little variety.

Henry US Survival .22

http://www.henryrepeating.com/h002_survival.cfm

Why? Well, I'm not a hunter so its the only rifle I own. (I'm in the market for a AR-15, but for now the Henry is it.)

The Henry is light (less than 3 lbs) and compact (the whole thing takes down in seconds and the action and barrel store in the stock). Stick it in a backpack, and you are good to go. I use mine as my "bug out gun," currently residing with my survival/camping gear.

I am under no illusions that this is the best, or anywhere near the best, little .22 rifle out there, but it is my "go to" rifle, so here I am.

• 2 weeks later...
Well in reality it's the 10/22 but I'll say Sig Mosquito just to be different.

I thought I would be different as well :)

11" full-auto AR with Yankee Hill 5.56 suppressor with my 22 conversion and high cap mags

CIMG0683.jpg

CIMG0684.jpg

CIMG0685.jpg

CIMG0686.jpg

CIMG0687.jpg

with a Walther P22 and YHM .22 suppressor

CIMG0689.jpg

Guest EasilyObsessed

Currently, mine is the Ruger 10/22, but I am planning on getting the 22lr conversion for my Beretta and AR...so hopefully that will change :)

Guest SpoonMan3

I have NEVER been a ruger fan... but recently I got the itch to pimp out a .22 rifle. I ended up buying a cheap, used 10/22 carbine and TOTALLY re-doing it. I put a new stainless-fluted barrel, a walnut stock, bolt buffer, trigger job, extended magazine release, etc.

This is now one of my favorite guns I have EVER owned. I LOVE it. It is extremely accurate now. I was DRILLING squirrels right in the chest at 40 and 50 yards.

If you all are looking for a fun, gun project over the summer, I would highly recommend doing this. It was a LOT of fun.

I love both my Marlin model 60 and a Savage MkII. I scoped the Savage and it is fun to shoot, but the Marlin shoots about 4 inches left and makes it a real challenge. Guess it depends for what frustrations I am up for when I pick my fav!

GlockKing, shame on you for not having a .22 :up:

Guest BigJ45

I guess the one that gets shot the most would be my Marvel 1911 conversion but the funnest would probqbly be my CZ AR-15 conversion. But when accuracy is the order of the day my CZ 452 American Varmint is my go to .22. The last one I'd part with would be a Savage Model 3B single shot that my grandfather traded for sometime back in the 1920's. I also shoot a Ruger Single Six that I got for my 12th birthday, a Ruger MKII, a Buckmark, and a Marlin 882SS .22 Mag. The one I regret selling was a Savage Sport Striker bolt action .22LR pistol with a 10in barrel it was extremely accurate and fun to shoot.