Anyone have sheep, goats and/or mini donkeys?

I am planning on getting a few mini donkeys and either goats or sheep for brush control on the back half of my property. I would guess I have about 1.5 acres that I will fence in for them so I don't think I will need many. I am thinking that sheep will be easier to care for and less prone to wander than goats but am looking for opinions from anyone who has or has had them in the past.

I have the square type cattle fencing on two sides of the area and barbed wire on the other. I will have to run fencing for the front boundry. Any tips on fencing, animal care or whatever is appreciated. There is also an older but sturdy barn that we will use for shelter that would easily hold 10-15 smaller animals. I won't be getting that many though. Probably two mini donkeys and the rest either sheep or goats.

We have 5.25 acres and 6 Miniature Donkeys, They are by far the Best livestock pets you could ever own, they are fenced in with a chain link fence, you live close, you are welcome to come see for youyrself

If you are serious about getting some PM me and I will put you in touch with the Best breeder around!

• Like 1

We have 5.25 acres and 6 Miniature Donkeys, They are by far the Best livestock pets you could ever own, they are fenced in with a chain link fence, you live close, you are welcome to come see for youyrself

If you are serious about getting some PM me and I will put you in touch with the Best breeder around!

Thanks Willis. Yeah the wife is dead serious on getting them. She wants them because they are cute though.  :pleased: Would you say the donkeys alone would be good for brush clearing or do you mainly feed them hay? To be honest I haven't done much research on them in that aspect because I just assumed we would be getting sheep or goats. I'd rather have something that would be easier to fence in.

With 1.5 acres you (most likely)  only need 1 or 2 donkeys or maybe 2 to 4 goats or sheep. They will have it grazed to dirt or mud in the winter especially and you will need to feed them.

Edited to add that goats will walk through the barbed wire fence and if the woven wire is the big cattle squares they always seem to be getting their heads stuck. (Maybe electric fence will help stop that some). Sheep should stay in a little better and donkeys even better still.

Edited by swim615

I believe after doing more research today I am going to go with donkeys only. Probably just two of them because as Swim said they will have it eaten down pretty well. I think they'll also be easier to contain and honestly I just like them better than sheep or goats. I am going to have a time running water line back to my barn though. Wilson county has a few rocks in the ground.

I believe after doing more research today I am going to go with donkeys only. Probably just two of them because as Swim said they will have it eaten down pretty well. I think they'll also be easier to contain and honestly I just like them better than sheep or goats. I am going to have a time running water line back to my barn though. Wilson county has a few rocks in the ground.

We started with two, however they are addictive so we now have 6

But for 1.5 acres two will do you just fine

1.5 acres, my guess a pair of goats could keep that down all summer.

My uncle had depending on time of your, 10 to 25 goats on about 25 acres (hill side).

When he first got the goats there was so much brush you had to fight your way though it.

They cleaned it up and kept it clean for years.

With goats, don't get one, better have 2 as they get lonely and will cry if alone.

• Like 1

Yep Google it we had a Holstein you could even milk her about the size of a big dog it was funny to see how people reacted to her

I have spent the last several minutes Googling mini cows (and other farm animals)! I had no idea. They're cool.

I have been thinking about goats, chickens and maybe a cow on my land. This opens new possibilities. Thanks
  • Like 1
Goats are browsers, not grazers. They won't eat grass unless there's nothing else available. Kudzu, honeysuckle, multiflora rose - all favorites. Privet is like candy to them. They'll also strip and eat bark off saplings. Bottle-fed goats grow up to be like puppies.

Yep, I like goats.
  • Like 2

Goats are browsers, not grazers. They won't eat grass unless there's nothing else available. Kudzu, honeysuckle, multiflora rose - all favorites. Privet is like candy to them. They'll also strip and eat bark off saplings. Bottle-fed goats grow up to be like puppies.

Yep, I like goats.

You nailed it right there.

Yep, I like goats.

Never had goats but good information always just stayed with cows, horses, and hogs

-Dusty-
  • 1 year later...
On January 13, 2015 at 10:54 AM, maroonandwhite said:

I am planning on getting a few mini donkeys and either goats or sheep for brush control on the back half of my property. I would guess I have about 1.5 acres that I will fence in for them so I don't think I will need many. I am thinking that sheep will be easier to care for and less prone to wander than goats but am looking for opinions from anyone who has or has had them in the past.

I have the square type cattle fencing on two sides of the area and barbed wire on the other. I will have to run fencing for the front boundry. Any tips on fencing, animal care or whatever is appreciated. There is also an older but sturdy barn that we will use for shelter that would easily hold 10-15 smaller animals. I won't be getting that many though. Probably two mini donkeys and the rest either sheep or goats.

Did you ever get the donkeys?

I'm looking at getting a couple of goats and a mini donkey or two to help keep the area around my barn clear. I keep having to mow and clear brush by hand, and I think I would rather have a couple of animals to work for me. So how high does my wire fence need to be for goats? Right now I have 4 stainds (5 in some places) of barb wire, but I'll add woven wire to hold them.

On 1/14/2015 at 5:56 AM, enfield said:

Yep, I like goats.

I hope not the way the Taliban likes goats? They REALLY like goats!

4fb13c27ae86a0a829e2137578bdcd239e3ffa1d