Marines pick Glock 19 for some duty

Steelharp

I don't understand why in a duty weapon they chose the 19 over the 17.

I have heard of smaller units, probably some kind of special forces or something, taking the G19s they found on the enemy and using them theirselves instead of the M9. Just a rumor though.

But hasn't it been long withstanding that SOC gets to use whatever they want as far as a sidearm?

Actually the 19 makes better sense then the 17 for SOC work in that it is just enough smaller then the 17 to make a real difference. Think along the lines of additional weapons load outs or concealed weapons under exterior outerwear. Covert Operations in Marine or Costal , Tropical, Arid or Artic environments is right up the 19's performance design. It is also well suited for a variety of hand sizes as not all SOC Operators are of and oversized large body or hand shape group.  

From what I've read on another forum, the 19 makes better since over the 17 because of weight savings, easier to carry with lots of other gear and some of those units actually use concealment and/or carry off duty/out of uniform. Plus it seems they've been using them awhile already had lots of 19's around and in inventory.

Guest tangojuliet

The 19 over the 17 for smaller size and concealed carry.
9 over 45 for increased capacity.
Glock over the 1911, because they listened to the guys kicking in the doors.

well actually LOL  the 1911 will still be used but only for operations where being suppressed is necessary cause have you ever tried to suppress 9mm its a pain 

well actually LOL  the 1911 will still be used but only for operations where being suppressed is necessary cause have you ever tried to suppress 9mm its a pain 

Suppressing the 9mm is easy, you just need subsonic ammo.  A good 9mm suppressor with subsonics is quieter than any .45 suppressor as well.

I have heard of smaller units, probably some kind of special forces or something, taking the G19s they found on the enemy and using them theirselves instead of the M9. Just a rumor though.

Some of the guys I worked with were able to carry Glocks because the police forces they were training were being gifted Glocks. It just made sense to be carrying what you were training people with. The first few thousand Glocks issued to Iraq police forces were actually used/surplus from a Federal agency. It has been so long now that I am not able to recall who.

I heard the reason the Army Rangers had bought a supply of Glock 19's over 17's was because of the 15 round capacity as it is easier to keep up with the magazine capacity. Also, there were some Glock 22's bought for some units and it would be easier to keep the calibers and models separate. Glock even made the OD green Glock 22 mags specifically for this reason. However, all of this was just merely suggestion; there is a state that bought a heap of Glock 17's for the National Guard.

But hasn't it been long withstanding that SOC gets to use whatever they want as far as a sidearm?

You could say that for the Tier 1 units, but that is about it.

So they spend money on the Colt 1911 rail gun, to now go with the Glock, brilliant. 

Two bad choices-they should have adopted the HK45c like NSWC did in the first place. 

INTEROPERABILITY

The Marine SOC unit is plugged in wholly or in piecemeal to other SOC (by the way, JSOC is an Army command) units, be they army, navy or AF.  Many of these units are issued Glock 19s, or they are training foreign service to whom we give glocks.  I read the press release, it did not say that the Glocks were replacing any other weapons.  This just gives them some flexibility when they are working with other units.