Which Bushmaster should I get?

Guest TennesseeJed

Guest TennesseeJed

I'm in the market of getting an AR.

I'm near the Franklin Gun Shop and will probably be purchasing it there.

I plan on using it to shoot targets, 200 yards max, and self defense if it comes to it.

Looking to spend less than $1500 total.

I'm definitely a noob, but I've been doing a lot of reading and decided I'm going to purchase one.

Another delima is should i purchase it now, or wait after elections and hope we get a price drop.

Any and all help is much appreciated.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think you'll see a price drop after the elections, although I cant say I've seen an across the board hike yet, so a drop wouldn't be expected.

If that's your price range, I would checkout Smith & Wesson's M&P15 rifles. You could even get a nice Sabre Defense AR for that.

Guest TennesseeJed

Well i plan on adding some things to the gun as well. Hand mount and sights, and of course lots of ammo. I'm going to go check out the stock they have at the shop on Wed. Perhaps pick up one this week.

Guest FNandGlock

Im in the same Boat I am looking to buy one also, maybe we can get a deal if we buy them at the same time HAHAHA. You know the gun show is this weekend at the Nashville Fairgrounds and sometimes you can get some nice AR's there and they will cut a deal to move them. I'd go there first and see what they have. Is Saber Defense and Smith & Wesson better then Bushmaster??

I've noticed you're new to the board, and while I do support your wanting to buy from Franklin Gun Shop, they don't always have the best prices.

Checkout http://www.hero-gear.com for an awesome selection of ARs & accessories.

The guy who owns the shop is a frequent poster here, and while I've never bought anything from him directly, he always receives glowing reviews from other board members.

You could also probably go to a place like Hero Gear, or one of the other vendors here o the board and get the same gun, plus a goodie like an optic or a buttload of mags for the same $$$ as just buying the gun at Franklin Gun Shop.

When (if) I get the funds up to build another AR, it's going to be a flat-top so I can easily mount a red-dot sight, and I will probably put flip up front and rear iron sights for backups. I'm thinking about going with a 16" heavy/bull barrel of some sort. I'm not worried about weight, but I want it somewhat shorter for mobility (but no so short I gotta spend $200 more dollars and wait for someone to sign some paperwork!)

Don't wait... buy now. There are so many good prices on good guns out there right now, I don't think that even if McCain wins we'll see any significant price drop. Solid M4geries can be had in the $700-$750 range right now. Granted, I think we've all seen lowers go up by 15-20% in the last year or two, but we're only talking $10-$20 there.

Thanks for the kind words guys :rofl:

Jed,

I am a bit further away from you that FG, but I can promise you that we have better selection (in black rifles and associated equipment) and better prices than what you will find in Franklin.

Even if you are set of buying from them, we would be happy to consult with you and help you make the best choice for your needs.

Good luck!

Guest Todd@CIS
Unless you have your heart set on a Bushmaster, I'd look at the S&W line of AR15's instead. Their build quality and quality control seem to be consistently better than the stuff Bushmaster cranks out.

+1

I won't say that Bushmasters are "bad," but you can do better in that price range.

Edited by Todd@CIS
Guest TennesseeJed

After more reading i think i am going to go with the S&W. I'm talking with a few people and hope to get something bought within the month. Now time to start looking at places to shoot it.

Guest bkelm18
After more reading i think i am going to go with the S&W. I'm talking with a few people and hope to get something bought within the month. Now time to start looking at places to shoot it.

Where do you live?

Guest Bronker
I've noticed you're new to the board, and while I do support your wanting to buy from Franklin Gun Shop, they don't always have the best prices.

Checkout http://www.hero-gear.com for an awesome selection of ARs & accessories.

The guy who owns the shop is a frequent poster here, and while I've never bought anything from him directly, he always receives glowing reviews from other board members.

I'll second that!! Joe at Hero-Gear is an awesome resource. I recently bought my Stag-Arms 2L from him. I found it cheaper, an hour from my house. But myself, strob2000, and jcochran drove 5 hours round trip simply to take part in Joe's expertise. That, to me, cannot be bought for any price. Believe me, I am a noob too. But after spending a half-hour with Joe, I felt very good about it. I follow him around this site, reading his insights, and have learned more from him than any textbook.

Take my advice...go to Winchester. Plus, they had gas for $1.94 a gallon.

I'll second that!! Joe at Hero-Gear is an awesome resource. I recently bought my Stag-Arms 2L from him. I found it cheaper, an hour from my house. But myself, strob2000, and jcochran drove 5 hours round trip simply to take part in Joe's expertise. That, to me, cannot be bought for any price. Believe me, I am a noob too. But after spending a half-hour with Joe, I felt very good about it. I follow him around this site, reading his insights, and have learned more from him than any textbook.

Take my advice...go to Winchester. Plus, they had gas for $1.94 a gallon.

and bring a gas can.

• Administrator

These are two shops that I know carry the S&W AR15 rifles. I have used both and would recommend either to anyone, without hesitation. Some of our other local authorized vendors may also stock them and should chime in if they do.

(organized by distance)

Guns & Leather

Greenbrier, TN

41.9 miles from Franklin

Hero Gear

Winchester, TN

101 miles from Franklin

I have a Bushmaster and an Ak in layaway. I went with the Bushmaster because I got a great deal on it. I feel the need to get them out very soon so as much as I hate it I will have to sell or trade my M&P 45. It saddens me but one must do what he has to. So tomorrow will be a get out of layaway day for me.