Any guidance for car travel to Georgia?

I checked the reciprocity agreements between states and my TN carry permit is recognized in this state.   ....I was not able to find much on the specific Georgia carry laws, however.

I assume Georgia is a concealed carry state so I need to conceal right? 

Are there any precautions that I need to know?  I'l be traveling from TN to Georgia (Savana) by car.

Thx... 

Georgia is very much like Tennessee with some differences.  I travel between the two places daily, and fortunately little changes when I cross the state line.  The most important difference is that signs do not carry weight in Georgia, and in Georgia you do not have to show your license on demand to LEO (they must has RAS that you are carrying illegally before forcing you to show your license.  They can ask all they want; it is up to you to decide if you show it).  Also, Georgia has true preemption, so carrying in any public park is allowed regardless if the local municipality tries to regulate it.

The carry prohibited places are similar but not the same.  You can only carry in a church in Georgia if authorized by the church authority.  Government buildings (that are not jails or courthouses) must have screened security to prohibit guns.

Edit:  government buildings have a specific definition.  It has to be owned/leased by the government and have a deparment/agency/etc. that meets there in its official capacity.  So for example, a city-owned recreation building cannot prohibit weapons unless the recreation board actually meets there AND they have screened security.  Just because they own it, doesn't mean it is a government building.  There are a few metro-Atlanta area municipalities that have a hard time understanding this.  Fortunately, rest stop bathrooms were legal before last year changes, and now you shouldn't have to worry about the Welcome Centers being off limits either (if anyone in the past tried to make them "government buildings").

Second edit:  As Oh Shoot stated, the law does not distinguish between open and concealed carry.  I get the impression that people in Georgia may be slightly more likely to OP than in Tennessee.  I figure if a person does not have to worry about a LEO detaining you to just check your license, a person feels more free to OC.  Just my theory, though.

Edited by dawgdoc

I have seen more than one couple OC in a certain Longhorn in GA. One of them had a nice pair of custom 1911's. Other than that, just owners/employees in gun/pawn shops. Never noticed OC anywhere else. Not that I really look for it that hard. I'm more interested in the attire and behavior of those around me.

I travel to Atlanta on business pretty often. The biggest concern I have involves the Ga State Troopers along I75. I don't recommend speeding.

Georgia seems to have more than a few laws that keep local LEOs (city, county, campus) ticket-writing in check, but none apply to the State Patrol.  For example, local guys cannot use speed detection devices to give a ticket unless you are 10 miles over the speed limit (in zones 25 mph or above).  Also, they cannot use the speed detectors to clock you if you are going down a 7% grade or higher, but this also doesn't apply to the State Patrol.  I assume that the GSP is supposed to have less reason to make speed traps than the local cops.  I have heard them referred to as "God's Special People."

I like that our legislature has put in these anti-speed trap laws, but I'm irritated that basically you have to know about them and raise the issue in your defense.  It seems like if we break a law that applies to us, we get penalized.  But if the local police hand out tickets for speeding at the bottom of the hill, they will still get the revenue unless you go to court and present the evidence (and even then you could have a local judge just ignore the law, potentially).  The worse that happens to them is their wasted time of trying to collect their revenue.

Also, apparently in Georgia, for any speeding offense past the first offense, the potential penalty is 1 year in jail, which has been upheld by the courts.  I'm lead to believe that Georgia is harsh compared to other states in this regard, even if the maximum penalty is rarely used.  It would really suck to get a speeding ticket when you are 18 and a second one when you are 50, and have to face that as a punishment.  It seems like motivation to accept a fine.

Also, apparently in Georgia, for any speeding offense past the first offense, the potential penalty is 1 year in jail, which has been upheld by the courts.  I'm lead to believe that Georgia is harsh compared to other states in this regard, even if the maximum penalty is rarely used.  It would really suck to get a speeding ticket when you are 18 and a second one when you are 50, and have to face that as a punishment.  It seems like motivation to accept a fine.

This gives me great concern. Isn't a 1yr sentence classified as a felony? GA needs their head examined over this one.

I travel to Atlanta on business pretty often. The biggest concern I have involves the Ga State Troopers along I75. I don't recommend speeding.

You WILL encounter GA State Troopers along I75 between the TN state line and Atlanta.  Watch speed and stay off phone.

When I go to Atlanta, I usually go between 72-75 mph in a 70 mph zone.  The unofficial rule is that they (GSP) wait until you are 10 over before pulling you over, but I try not to test that, and legally they could ticket you for 71 mph.  Georgia also has a Super Speeder law (more than 85 mph on a highway or more than 75 mph on a two-lane road) that carry a $200 fine.

I think Oh Shoot is right about the 1 year sentence being a misdemeanor (I'm not a lawyer), and they seem to reserve the jail time for really bad repeat offenders because most municipalities just want your money.

Another quirk in Georgia's speeding laws is that local municipalities must wait a certain time after a speed limit change before giving out tickets (I think it is one month).  However, Atlanta now has variable speed limits on I-285 that change with traffic conditions.  Therefore, only the GSP could give out tickets on that road (in theory) because they are always changing.  I don't know personally how that is working out, though.  I try to avoid I-285 and Atlanta in general.

Southbound I75 between Tunnel Hill and Dalton is where a local likes to sit in the AM. The median just north of the 308 rest area is frequented by different branches. Between Resaca and exit 317 is another area to be aware. Once in a blue moon there's one at the divider when you pop over the hill below the coop just north of exit 341; typically running Ka. Strangely quiet below exit 306 almost to Atlanta.

YMMV.

Oh yeah, little po-dunk towns along Hwy27 like to set up speed traps where it swings *around* their towns. No good reason to go from 65 to 55 to 45 in such a short distance. Drive 2 miles and it's back up to 65 again.

Edited by ProfEngr
There are certain concealed-carry practices that are safe and prudent wherever you go - keep it concealed, keep your mouth shut, don't drink while carrying, when stopped let the nice officer know you have a permit and that you're carrying, look for and obey signs when entering buildings and parks. Do these things and I believe you'll be within the letter of the law everywhere that your permit is recognized.
  • Like 1