Pet Peeve that drive me nuts!!

I have been shopping for new eye glasses for last couple of months since I won't go back to Vision Works ever again. I have been watching the different TV commercials like Walmart Vision which I am looking at but then I see all these other commercials. My issue with all of them is one thing. The 50% off lenses when you purchase frames. I don't really see a deal there. They are offering you 50% of lenses that you don't know yet what the lenses cost to begin with? Hell,  they might be offering you 50% off lenses that they can price at 600.00 + the cost of the frames so you still end up spending 400+ for a pair of eye glasses. Back at Doctors Value Vision I use to be able to get 2 pairs of bifocals with frames for 129.00 +59.00 exam. There was none of this guessing and  hoping games. Walmart is about my only shot now because at least they do put prices out there on Bifocals in their TV ad.............. :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Why do these places make you wait until after they put the drops in your eyes to choose your new frames?  Just sayin.

Can't answer that because I don't do the drops because I have to drive myself home. My issue with the frames is I have about 10 pairs of perfectly good frames and I make them mad when i ask to use my old frames............. :rock:

• Like 1

The frames are where they make their money, $300 for a set of $50 frames.

I've been going to the Wal Mart on South Rutherford in Murfreesboro. Been pleased with the Dr. and the glasses are made as good as any I've ever had. And the glasses are cheap. 

The frames are where they make their money, $300 for a set of $50 frames.

I've been going to the Wal Mart on South Rutherford in Murfreesboro. Been pleased with the Dr. and the glasses are made as good as any I've ever had. And the glasses are cheap. 

Yea and I am looking at the Walmart here. They have money back guarantee if your not 100% satisfied but still open to other options also................... :up:

My last pair of glasses I bought at Walmart. My doctor convinced be to try the transitional lenses instead of bifocals, saying they offered much better range than just the two strengths of a bifocal. I got the lenses and frames from Walmart, and tried them for a few weeks before I couldn't stand it anymore. I was constantly moving my head around searching for the right place to look through the lens. I went back to Walmart and they happily changed my lenses out for standard bifocals, at no cost. Although there was no refund either, since I think the transitionals cost more.

The pair I have now, I got at the doctors office. They convinced me to try transitionals again, saying the problem I had with the last pair was that they were "Walmart lenses", and theirs are not cheap ones. I paid probably more than double what I paid at Walmart, and while these are marginally better, I'm still searching for that sweet spot, and half the time I just look over the top of the rims for close up stuff.

About ten years ago I bought good titanium frames.  Got tired of the cheap frames bending, etc.  I've had replacement lenses installed in these frames at least three times, maybe four.  Of course, the eyeglass vendors want to sell me new frames, with the "If your frames break, we don't have parts to fix them".  So far they have not broken and I am still happy with the frames. 

Edit:  I have an independent optometrist with an in house lab here that I would recommend but logistically it would be impossible for you. 

Edited by oldogy

Why do these places make you wait until after they put the drops in your eyes to choose your new frames?  Just sayin.

I normally either pick out frames first or I go back another day.  But I got a good office between my home and work.  twice this year I have stopped in for a minor repair on my frame.   They fixed me up and out the door.