2015 Spring Motorcycle Meetup: Final Details

Hozzie

2015 Spring Motorcycle Meetup  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What date do you prefer to have the Motorcycle Meetup?

• Saturday, April 11th
    • Sunday, April 12th
    • Saturday, May 2nd
    • Sunday, May 3rd

"This is not a road for crotch rockets!!!"

Haha, having ridden behind cruiser dudes on The Dragon, I suspect the crotch rockets would have an easier time of it. They're not just about riding WOT.

Kind funny to me considering I ride that road often on my Sport Bike.
  • 2 weeks later...

I just want to see if anyone is planning to attend this.  I know some voted, but I would like to have an idea if anyone is going to attend.  I am just trying to avoid working on a route if no one is able to make it.

Ah, glad I didn't miss it. I knew there was something I meant to check before the weekend. I have a nasty feeling I might be on-call though.

I am not \o/ . That means I should be onboard.

Edited by tnguy

Great, glad to know a few will make it.  I have been wanting to check out Cyclemos in Red Boiling Springs for a while now.  I have created a route which would take us there, we could then grab some lunch close by, and then head back coming south around Center Hill Lake.

I am in Frankin, so I figured I would just make the start at the Percy Priest Dam area and for me I will come back to Franklin.  I am thinking everyone could peel off wherever they need to on the way back.

Some of you may know the roads a bit better in that area than I do, but I have ridden around Nameless and the road along Center Hill Lake.  They are both pretty fun roads.  If anyone wants to make some suggestions, feel free to adapt the route and post it back.  We will pick the final route a couple of days before we go.  You can ignore the names for the most part, I just select them off the map to get the general route.

https://goo.gl/maps/enEQb

Edited by Hozzie

I was thinking at 10:00, but I am open.

I think 10:00 sounds pretty decent for a time to leave out. That means get there a few minutes early to meet, greet, gas up, drink up (water, Gatorade, etc. ;) ), and do whatever it is you gotta do before a ride.

I'm not one to command adults to have a formal safety briefing. But I will remind folks if you're not accustomed to riding in groups, please place yourself near the back. We won't leave anybody behind. Kinda defeats the purpose. Of course, if you're on a sport bike and will be enjoying the twisties the way they're obviously intended, get to the front so you don't have to pass where it's more dangerous.
And for the love of God, don't ride beyond your skill level. We'll all stop and help out if you go down, but it sure puts a damper on a ride if you have to send somebody to the hospital in an ambulance. Oh, and if you ain't carryin', stay home. :D

Ok, off my soapbox.

I have no problem at all with a safety discussion.  I am not a fast rider per se.  I am more about cruising and enjoying the scenery.  I agree, if some want to run faster, they can go in front.  We can discuss the comfort level of anyone not used to riding in groups to make sure we are all aware of who is more comfortable (or not).  

I don't have any intention of pushing it hard on the twisties personally.

• Like 1

If anyone is on the fence the weather is going to be great.  Updated first post with all relevant information.

Weather.jpg

On Saturday, I will be the guy on this bike when you get to the Mapco.

General-Lee.jpg

Edited by Hozzie

UPDATED 4.9.15

Final Details:

Saturday, April 11th
Depart Time: 10:00AM
Meet at Mapco on Stewarts Ferry Pike (near Percy Priest Dam).

General Route will be: https://goo.gl/maps/enEQb

We will head up to CycleMo's to check out the museum and then grab some lunch.  We will then come back on a bit of a southern route.  

If anyone has any questions, let me know.  I expect us to be back around 4:00.

Is that 585 Stewarts Ferry Pike?

Yes, basically just off the exit of I/40 and Stewarts Ferry.  My map shows a start at the parking lot by the damn.  I realized that after posting, but figure it is just as easy to start at Mapco so if anyone needs to fill up before hand or use the restroom, they can.

Edited by Hozzie
That's a nice route. Just want to give a heads up there is a fun corner on 141 when heading toward 53 that will surprise you right after you crest the hill a few miles from 53.

Also watch out on 96 heading toward 70 after heavy rains it has tendency to wash gravel in the road.

Any idea what time you will be heading through Carthage? Live in Hartsville and would be easier to meet up around why 80 for me. I ride the roads on this route and the ones around it a lot.

Google shows the route to take about 90 minutes for us to get to Carthage.  I suspect it may take a little less than that.  I would guess we will be there somewhere between 11:15 and 11:30.   We could meet you anywhere in Carthage convenient along the route.

If anyone wants the GPX file for the route, just PM me with your email and I will send it to you.

Edited by Hozzie

Google shows the route to take about 90 minutes for us to get to Carthage.  I suspect it may take a little less than that.  I would guess we will be there somewhere between 11:15 and 11:30.   We could meet you anywhere in Carthage convenient along the route.

If anyone wants the GPX file for the route, just PM me with your email and I will send it to you.

Is there a way to use GPX files on an iPhone?

Easiest thing to do there is just use the link in Google Maps.  I made a slight change to the route, and re-imported the GPX into Google Maps.  Use this link for the updated Route.  I ran out of waypoints on google so it stops in Woodbury, but I will just come back through Murfreesboro and then on to Franklin on my way home.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zN9JfX1UMxpY.kmefI4T52zIw

Edited by Hozzie

Hope to see everyone in the morning.  I have sent a PM with my phone number to those who have said they plan to go in case you need to reach me for some reason.  Otherwise, see everyone at 10:00. :up: