Cheap Quadcopter with Video Info/Review

So I have been intrigued by qaudcopter's for a little while now and decided last week that I was going to get one just to play with and have some fun.  I have no experience with flying RC anything so my sensibility kicked in and after some research, I decided to order a fairly cheap quad to learn and play with.  My usual route is to go big or go home, but as it turns out, I am pretty impressed with this thing even though the whole setup was pretty cheap.  I will go into total cost in a bit.

After some research I decided that I wanted something that was a decent size that I knew could eventually carry a small camera.  There are a lot of beginner quad's out there for dirt cheap, $25-$35, but they were all smaller than what I was wanting.  I wanted something that I could fly outside, even in a light wind.  I spent a little more ($66) and bought a WL Toys V262.  It is about 2' in diameter and comes with a removable foam casing that can be removed once you learn how to fly it better.  As you will see in my video, mine still has it on (and will for a while longer).

While youtubing reviews, etc, I noticed a lot of people do some modifications to help it perform better and help the motors last longer.  I spend about another $30 on some bearings, two extra batteries, and 4 extra motors for later use.  These motors will last about 30 flights so having some spares was highly recommended.  

For less than $100, I had everything I needed to start having some fun and knew I had the things I needed for some basic maintenance.

While waiting for the quad to arrive and in watching more videos, I came across many people using this small camera called the Mobius.  It is a 1080P camera that will record in 30FPS and 60fps at 720P.  The great part about it, it only cost $70.  I had expected to eventually get a GoPro to use with this (I had one and sent it back, but for this I think it is perfect), but decided that since I don't know how to fly, it was probably best to go with a cheaper option (for when I crash and burn) and this Mobius camera seemed to get great reviews.  

So 3 days later, I have everything and decide to start playing.  I was amazed at just how well this little quad performed.  Even more impressive is the camera.  Keep in mind it is simply velcroed to the top of the quad in this video.  There is some vibration, but not as bad as I would have expected.  The video below is at my friends new house he is building.  As you will see, we both stink at flying, but I think for $180 total (I already had the sd card), this is pretty impressive.  I had it up to about 200-250ft at one point in my inaugural flight only to get it stuck in a tree (250 yards from where I was) from too much wind and not being able to fly it back to me, but in this video, we keep it a lot lower and it goes pretty good.   

I know there have been a few discussion on here about qauds/drones and thought this may be of interest to some others.  It is really fun.  Now to just get more flight time before I spend the money on a much better quad.

This is what I bought.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/9269803716/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GT2B4R6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0072AEHIC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NFEY7Y8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNRdTH-wu8U

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 3
Looks like a lot of fun. I'd be trying to terrorize the neighbors cats with it.

Your buddy's house looks impressive. From the first shot, I was thinking it needed a wrap-around porch. lol

Then you showed it to me.

Looks like a lot of fun. I'd be trying to terrorize the neighbors cats with it.

Your buddy's house looks impressive. From the first shot, I was thinking it needed a wrap-around porch. lol

Then you showed it to me.

They make a small missile launcher to add to them, I think they're specifically made for cats  :devil:   J/K.

His house is very nice.  He has a nice piece of land as well where we can shoot and do some hunting.  

Edited by Hozzie

They make a small missile launcher to add to them, I think they're specifically made for cats  :devil:   J/K.

His house is very nice.  He has a nice piece of land as well where we can shoot and do some hunting.  

Yes, from what I could see of the property, it looks awesome.

Those are the best kind of buddies!  :cool:

Right. I'd hoped someday to have about 20 acres or so, with a home on a hillside looking down into a valley. Where I could see everything and watch those beautiful sunrises.

Well, something sure went wrong.