Smart phone mania

I went to Carraba's in the 'boro last weekend and was seated next to a table of kids obviously dressed to go to prom. 6 guys and 6 gals. Every single one dined with a smart phone in one hand and a fork in the other, only laying it down on occasion. The phone, not the fork. Constantly texting and surfing during the entire meal. They finished before us and when we left they were all sitting outside in a line with heads down staring at the phones. It seems the phones are now more attractive than a young dressed to kill peer of the opposite sex. It would have made a great picture but I forget that my old flip phone has a camera on it. LOL.
  • Like 2
Although I did finally get one for my wife and myself, and I do see the "possible" uses and needs for them on occasion; I do miss my old flip phone as well.

Seems that every place or event you go to, you see people with heads buried in the screens until the movie, concert, or whatever starts. And sometimes even not then will they be put away.

What the heck did we do without these "smart phones?"

Isn't it a miracle that we survived without them?
  • Moderators

I went to Carraba's in the 'boro last weekend and was seated next to a table of kids obviously dressed to go to prom. 6 guys and 6 gals. Every single one dined with a smart phone in one hand and a fork in the other, only laying it down on occasion. The phone, not the fork. Constantly texting and surfing during the entire meal. They finished before us and when we left they were all sitting outside in a line with heads down staring at the phones. It seems the phones are now more attractive than a young dressed to kill peer of the opposite sex. It would have made a great picture but I forget that my old flip phone has a camera on it. LOL.

Yeah but what you didn't realize is that they were texting each other sending sending each other selfies. :rofl:

So, admittedly I suppose that is pretty much "my generation" minus a few years (graduated in 2009 myself). It annoys me too. Yes, I very much do appreciate many aspects of my smartphone, but I try to not go crazy on it, especially in public. If I'm using it in public I am probably doing something productive on it (comparing prices, responding to important email, texting friends/family about something important (such as when/where/what to bring, etc).

At home I am much more relaxed about it and TGO, etc on it.

Edited by CZ9MM

Near everything anyone about 25 and under does involves a smartphone, be it to receive, send or digest information.   Most of them only use a PC or Macbook as required for school or work these days.  They're doing what many of us may consider stupid things via like Snapchat, and other apps, but I know more than a few who use the technology to keep in touch with relatives- texting grandparents and the like- and reading religious material.  This app alone has 50-100 million installs just on Android devices and probably a proportionally similar number on Apple products.

At 33, I'm about in between with my smartphone use.  While I'm don't have my head buried in it, and walk with my head up, I use my smartphone a lot when I'm out of the house, especially at restaurants or between classes when I have nothing to do.  The ability to use apps to transition from news sources, Twitter (great info if you know how to look), and even keep up with sites TGO is very user friendly and helps satisfy my information needs.  Since I try to make only measured responses when debating things, I don't post from my smartphone much, but I will tag sources for further reading since I have my browsers synced between my laptop, tablet, and phone.

The biggest thing to bear in mind, is that a young persons smartphone is fast becoming the primary way they receive information.  That can be beneficial and terrifying at the same time depending on what they are being fed.

I meant to mention that smart phones are a good tool, my wife has one and we use it for many useful things, especially when on the road. Some people just can't function without them anymore. Sometimes I think I'm too tied up even with my old fashioned flip phone. Out to dinner with friends for example  to me is conversation with those at the table, not someone not even there. I'm ok with phone usage but it seems to be a crutch sometimes.

This has become the norm unfortunately. Personally I don't think it's appropriate when in a group of people to mess with your phone outside of a pressing but brief text or call, anything more than that you need to excuse yourself. Too many times I've been somewhere and seen ten people sitting around a table all on their phones, who are they talking to? BTW I find it extremely rude for two people in a group to send texts to each other because obviously they are talking about someone else in the group.