M92 SBR conversion

Bought a M92 PAP last week and picked it up Friday after work with the sole purpose of filing a Form 1 to SBR.  Brought it home and started to refinish the handguards and do some research on some other DIY AK work.  I managed to get the pistol stripped down completely other than removing the thread protector and the barrel.  Sprayed it down to remove all the grime and grease and re-oiled with a light coat.  Refinished the hand guards by cleaning the surface with acetone and applying a light coat of stain and tung oil.  After doing my reading I found that tung oil suffices as a stand alone finish, but I think the overall results of what I did are satisfactory.  I plan to replace the trigger, muzzle device and add a Stormwerkz sidefolder/Manticore Arms triangle stock.  I would like to put a Midwest Industries handguard at some point milled up top for an Aimpoint or Primary Arms micro dot and put a pouch on the stock to round things out. I put a couple of photos below of where I am so far after disassembly/cleaning/reassembly.  I will have to disassemlble again to get the receiver engraved with my trust info here in the next few weeks.  Thanks for looking and I would appreciate any thoughts/constructive criticisms that you can offer....

20150525_172738_RichtoneHDR_zpsb1qebmc4.

20150525_172755_RichtoneHDR_zpsn4o9lksz.

• Like 3

Well I wish I woulda posted this yesterday....already filed....the front post is centered well, the rear flipper is slightly to the left from what I can tell...is there a way to correct this with a rubber mallet?

Edited by jacob

Well I wish I woulda posted this yesterday....already filed....the front post is centered well, the rear flipper is slightly to the left from what I can tell...is there a way to correct this with a rubber mallet?

Where the sights are now are irrelevant.  Have you shot it yet?  Only then will you know what, if any, adjustment they require.

nah...haven't shot it yet....didn't really plan on using the irons as my main sights anyway...but i will go shoot the thing in the next few days to see where it stands...

Edited by jacob

nah...haven't shot it yet....didn't really plan on using the irons as my main sights anyway...but i will go shoot the thing in the next few days to see where it stands...

Black out the number and dots on rear sight with sharpie or something, makes a surprising diff on that less than optimal design.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

I am really liking the looks of the Manticore Alpha. It is extremely light and would go a long way towards getting the AK more maneuverable.

Yeah, Sven is doing some great stuff. The Alpha won't fit the M92. The Renegade is what was made for the M92. You can also get one of the top cover mounts for an optic as well. I beta'd one for the Burris Fastfire and really liked it. However after I went with the TWS I went back to the basic top cover for the Renegade. Mainly to get weight centered.

Are the renegade hand guards fairly rugged?? How do they do weight distribution wise?? I understand the triangle stock supposedly displaces the center of gravity. I would think adding an aluminum hand guard setup would help put more weight back toward the muzzle end, but I will defer to the knowledge of you gentlemen...

Are the renegade hand guards fairly rugged?? How do they do weight distribution wise?? I understand the triangle stock supposedly displaces the center of gravity. I would think adding an aluminum hand guard setup would help put more weight back toward the muzzle end, but I will defer to the knowledge of you gentlemen...

Ak's are front heavy as they are. Adding more weight is to the front is not my preferred method. Much of the reason I don't care for the Ultimak setup, as good as it is. The Renegade is as tough as it gets and it's light while dispersing heat very well. I'm a big fan. The center of weight issue is mainly with full sized Ak's. With the M92 the barrel is so short that the triangle stock will only help you. I've shot a bucnh of them in all sorts of configurations and an M92 with a stock is far better than without.

Here is the review I did i the Renegade when they were still in beta http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/79291-manticore-m92-handguards/

Edited by Smith

Yeah, Sven is doing some great stuff. The Alpha won't fit the M92. The Renegade is what was made for the M92. You can also get one of the top cover mounts for an optic as well. I beta'd one for the Burris Fastfire and really liked it. However after I went with the TWS I went back to the basic top cover for the Renegade. Mainly to get weight centered.

My M85 is done but I just bought a DDI AK so I am exploring options. It is the nicest AK I have ever seen and it is probably a lifetime gun. The only complaint was the gas tube was super tight and took a few strokes with a file to make it easier. All parts match and look brand new. The muzzle is threaded correctly and is not loose like Romanian guns.

Again the DDI impressed me more than any other AK I have ever held.
  • Like 1
Got my trigger, detent kit, booster, and fcg pin retainer plate in the mail yesterday. Went ahead and ordered a Midwest Industries hand guard with a top cover for my primary arms micro dot. Dropped off my receiver for engraving yesterday as well. Looking forward to getting this all put together...