Idle hands..........

Guest Astra900

Guest Astra900

This will be my first winter as a TGO member. My question to all of you: What will you do with your time? I realize most of you will never have the amount of spare time that I have, that's one of the perks of being self employed. I know many of you look forward to the winter for hunting, that's good, but something I care nothing for. I am however a sub-urban survivalist {as silly as that sounds} and enjoy building things for myself. Although my space is rather limited by comparison to those of you in rural areas, I make very efficient use of the space I have. My time in the spring and summer are consumed by gardening. Reloading is a year round pass time of mine. I still have long boring days through out the winter though. I don't subscribe to the macho man BS of only learning skills that a man ought learn. I taught myself to croquet simple things, sew simple garments, and I love to cook, though I rarely do. I like leather crafts, and what not.

I would like some ideas from you all for things I could build/make with my time. I have been working on an outdoor kitchen that has running water from a well, and a place to bake as well as grill, all free from the need for electricity. I have almost gathered all the things necessary to build a gravity operated irrigation system for my garden, using collected rain water. I could pay for materials I suppose but I also take pride in building durable working things from scrap and freebies.

Like it or not, you must agree, these are things {and the skills to build and use them} that are only going to increase in value as our society continues to decay.

I'm open to discussion for anything, from mundane to elaborate.

Thanks.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Revelator

Astra, do you read Backwoods Home magazine? I think that would be right up your alley. It's all about self-reliant living, alternative energy and things like that. I wish I could do alot of that kind of stuff. You could get some good ideas from it. backwoodshome.com

This will be my first winter as a TGO member. My question to all of you: What will you do with your time? I realize most of you will never have the amount of spare time that I have, that's one of the perks of being self employed. I know many of you look forward to the winter for hunting, that's good, but something I care nothing for. I am however a sub-urban survivalist {as silly as that sounds} and enjoy building things for myself. Although my space is rather limited by comparison to those of you in rural areas, I make very efficient use of the space I have. My time in the spring and summer are consumed by gardening. Reloading is a year round pass time of mine. I still have long boring days through out the winter though. I don't subscribe to the macho man BS of only learning skills that a man ought learn. I taught myself to croquet simple things, sew simple garments, and I love to cook, though I rarely do. I like leather crafts, and what not.

I would like some ideas from you all for things I could build/make with my time. I have been working on an outdoor kitchen that has running water from a well, and a place to bake as well as grill, all free from the need for electricity. I have almost gathered all the things necessary to build a gravity operated irrigation system for my garden, using collected rain water. I could pay for materials I suppose but I also take pride in building durable working things from scrap and freebies.

Like it or not, you must agree, these are things {and the skills to build and use them} that are only going to increase in value as our society continues to decay.

I'm open to discussion for anything, from mundane to elaborate.

Thanks.

Astra, you must not be married if you have all the time on your hands to do all this:D LOL, anyway I read as much as I can and come up with new ways to take over the world :lol:

Probably spend the winter getting my house ready to sell in the spring, move a bunch of stuff into storage, spend some time to get a decent engine finally built for the Camaro & get its interior the way I want it, and that's about it... aside from perhaps going shooting on occasion.

Guest Astra900
You said you already reload, so that's cool. How 'bout building the mother-of-all reloading benches?

I built the QUEEN MOTHER of reloading benches last year. 3/4" Cabinet grade plywood, walnut stain. Paid....nothing;) Well, okay, i had to buy the glue and hardware. I got the plywood from a guy who builds cabinets, and I found the stain at the recycling center laying next to the compactor. Man said they weren't allowed to take it but someone tried to sneak it in. I'll take care of that buddy, I said. Unopened gallon!!!

I tried working on cars a long time ago, hated it. That's why I drive a little Toyota w/ a 10yr/100,000 mile warranty:D:D:D:D

Guest Astra900
I plan on reloading ALOT of ammo this winter along doing alot of my scrollsaw art. (see the link in my sig)

WOW! Do you do custom work? I might be talking to you later!!!!!

I'd love one of those for my bedroom door. That's good work my friend!

Guest Astra900

I tried the shelter thing 3 years ago. I can't afford any heavy equip. and wouldn't want the neighbors nosy ars asking q's. I hand dug 6 ft down....solid as a rock:mad::lol:

Maybe someday.

I play(or try too anyway) allot of tennis during the winter.

I play at a tennis club here in town that is sketchy to get courts at during the mad bustle of the warm months,so its nice to get out there when its cold,and have the whole place to ourselves

.... anyway I read as much as I can and come up with new ways to take over the world :lol:

pinky_brain.jpg&usg=AFQjCNGQ_vZ61-rZDspu2b5oE1gVmtSliw

I tried the shelter thing 3 years ago. I can't afford any heavy equip. and wouldn't want the neighbors nosy ars asking q's. I hand dug 6 ft down....solid as a rock:mad::meh:

Maybe someday.

holy ****e! Yeah it requires some serious equipment. I really think it would be nice to have though if your really wanting to be TEOTWAWKI ready. According to that site you need to have at least 8 feet of earth over top so when you figure its minimum 7ft tall in the middle :lol:

Guest bkelm18
HUH???

There was a member here (he is no longer here), that took it upon himself to notify a certain mall that their "No Carry" signs were improper. The mall has since then been posted properly, I believe. I never read the full thread since this guy was a real assclown so I'm not sure on all the details.