Unobtainium

When you get a chance, please do.

I remember the first time I saw a B1-B take off in person.  Before it had even gotten to the end of the runway, the pilot had the plane completely vertical and it was shooting up like a rocket.

Stunning.  A massive bomber, that looks like a fighter, and it can do that.

BTW, that wasn't a normal everyday take off.   ;)

It was during one of those AFB "Commander's Day" presentations.

I have found a few of the pictures from that time, but not the one I want. I will try to get them scanned in the morning, but don't hole your breath. A new all in one scanner printer that I haven't used. LOL

Or you could use the poor man's scanner. Take a picture of the picture with your phone.

Good point. I have scanned them and now I cant find them on the computer. I will do that with the camera and go that route and let the wife find the scanned ones. LOL

EDIT: I took pictures of the pictures and heading over to photobucket now.

Edited by buck1032

[URL=http://s290.photobucket.com/user/buck1032/media/TGO/P6222125.jpg.html]P6222125.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s290.photobucket.com/user/buck1032/media/TGO/P6222124.jpg.html]P6222124.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s290.photobucket.com/user/buck1032/media/TGO/P6222122.jpg.html]P6222122.jpg[/URL]

• Like 1

The pictures of the pictures didn't turn out very well. Oh well, I tried. I have better get to my chores now. For the record that was me in picture #2 on the B-4 stand cleaning the windows. LOL I should also add this was in 1988.

Edited by buck1032
Dad told me a story a long time ago that was told to him by a USAF friend from when Dad was stationed in CA...

Dad's friend was not a pilot for the USAF, but had his private pilot's license (same as Dad). They liked to fly at first light because the air was smooth and they could go fly for a while and get back before it got hot, and be back for lunch which made the wives happy.

So his friend got to the airport at o'dark thirty, got his little Cessna warmed up and was taxiing to the runway just as the sun began to turn the horizon orange. About half way down the taxiway, the tower instructed him to stop and hold his current position for 15 seconds. He complied and asked why, the instruction was simply repeated with no explanation. Over his shoulder, he saw a blue glow and heard a rumble that quickly grew into a roar so loud he couldn't hear his own engine. Two blue/orange flames streaked down the intersecting runway, lifted off, and disappeared into the sky so fast he wondered if he'd just seen what he just saw.

The tower controller snapped him out of his daze by saying "cleared for takeoff". He said, "Was that....?" The controller responded, "Was what? Have a nice day."

Fun stuff.   :)

The pictures of the pictures didn't turn out very well. Oh well, I tried. I have better get to my chores now. For the record that was me in picture #2 on the B-4 stand cleaning the windows. LOL

B4 stand, haven't heard that in a while.

Kurt

We hit Wichita a few times and they would park us right in front of the 'ready" B1B's. Absolutely a beautiful aircraft. We were given a guided tour of the interior and exterior of the aircraft. I will have to try to dig out a few photos.    

Do I recall correctly that they have a proper toilet in them? I haven't been in one for almost 20 years now. IIRC it was a big improvement for the crew over the B-52 which pretty much just has a funnel and hose going to a coffee can. The first person to use it had to clean it out upon mission end. Gotta go #2 in a B-52? Open the bomb bay doors, Hal.

Edited by monkeylizard

Do I recall correctly that they have a proper toilet in them? I haven't been in one for almost 20 years now. IIRC it was a big improvement for the crew over the B-52 which pretty much just has a funnel and hose going to a coffee can. The first person to use it had to clean it out upon mission end. Gotta go #2 in a B-52? Open the bomb bay doors, Hal.

Yes, it had a small "head" as we called them. Our H-3 only had a piss tube. If we had to go #2 we held it. Luckily our legs were only 4 hours. LOL