safe question= electric or dial

Guest Jcochran88

Guest Jcochran88

ok I have heard bad things about these newer model safes with the eclectric touch pannels, i am currently in the market for a safe and was wondering if I should stay away from these and get the reliable combination dial style, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok I have heard bad things about these newer model safes with the eclectric touch pannels, i am currently in the market for a safe and was wondering if I should stay away from these and get the reliable combination dial style, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I havent shopped around for safes to much, but from what I gather, most of the touch pad combo types are very reliable, and will run for A LONG time on a battery, also, they have a key back up, JIC your battery goes bad, or there is any other sort of electronic malfunction

Guest Watauga
Some of the touchpad ones i've seen you can just pop off the face of the touchpad to replace the battery. No need to open it

I had an electonic keypad safe that malfunctioned. Company said it would have to be drilled for access. Was able to get it opened in about a minute after removing the keypad faceplate. Now I have a dial safe that is more secure.

I have a key pad safe. I like it ok but if i had it to do all over again ide go with a dial.

pad has a slide out tray underneath where the battery goes and another battery inside the door to keep the info if the pad is taken off. IF there was a fire and the pad was burnt/melted a replacement can be put on easily and the original codes will work fine. so they say i don't ever want to find out!

good thing with a pad you can create a master code, different codes for family members, time delay up to 30 min or so. (don't know why i would need that feature). All codes are easy to change if need be, you just have to have the master and the instructions!

Guest Astra900

It would be my luck if TSHTF and we were attacked with an EMP weapon that ruined my electronic lock. Or somebody breaks in, can't open it so they just pop off the keypad and smash it.

Buy the dial. The batteries never die.

Guest bkelm18
It would be my luck if TSHTF and we were attacked with an EMP weapon that ruined my electronic lock.

That is something that I have heard every now and then about the digital locks. Its a valid concern albeit a bit ":tinfoil:". If we're hit with an EMP, your fancy safe is SOL. Not that I think we're in any danger of being hit with that type of weapon.

Guest Bronker

I'll jump in on the 'dial' bandwagon. There's just too much to go kaput in something battery operated, and electronically controlled. I know technology is awesome, but good old reliable, mechanical, uncomplicated fail-safe dial is all I will have for my gun storage. J, you've seen my safe. I've had it for 12 years, and I can get in it in about 10 seconds. I keep only my HD guns outside of it, and I've never replaced a battery! Plus, it has never had a missed key-punch. I follow the KISS doctrine. Keep it simple stupid!

I've got the keypad, but like others have said, if I did it again, I would get a dial.

As far as the programmed combination, it is stored in what's called "electronically erasable programmable read only memory, or EEPROM. This is why your battery can die and it will still retain your programmed code.

It's getting close to the time I need to buy a bigger safe, I'm acquiring too many toys :D

Guest Traumaslave

My gun safe is a keypad and my ammo safe is a dial. I had the option when I bought my gun safe cause I had it built. I like the keypad much more than the dial. All the "what ifs" are about as unlikely as my winning the loto. 2 yrs in and I haven't had a problem. Quick as lightning to get into.

my RSC is a keypad. I am not much worried about an EMP. Seriously. If that happens you are screwed anyway. Life as you know it is over.

Besides that I believe the low level electronics would still work. Failing that, it would not be terribly hard to get into using a hammer and a chisel.

Remember unless you pay thousands your safe is really only moderately more hard to open than a closet door.

The key pad is simple to operate and very reliable. On mine if by chance the key pad craps out I can get a replacement. The door does not need to be drilled or anything. There is a plug that allows the wire to come off allowing for a new key pad.

But the main reason I chose mine is to stop a smash and grab thief and to keep the grandkids safe.

What we all call Safes, are really considered residential security containers, and these are tested by UL Lab. to resist a min. of 5 min.

of attempts to open with hand-tools by an avg. burglar!

A real safe which a jewelry store would have, runs avg. $7000.00+

and those have to resist at least 1 hr. of trying to open, compared to 5 min.

I bought a safe with the electronic lock, and really love it, same batt. been in it for 1 yr. and i open it all the time.

Takes me 3 sec. and its open, if the battery, ever needs replacing, it has a cover on bottem of the pad! I talked to many lock-smiths and all said its harder to open an elec. than a dial! Best $150. extra for dial, that i ever spent!

Randys Pawn in Trenton, Ga. has the best selection in area and has huge sale usually 2X a yr. Best of luck! If you live in Tn. and buy from Randy, there is no Tax.

Guest bkelm18
What we all call Safes, are really considered residential security containers, and these are tested by UL Lab. to resist a min. of 5 min.

of attempts to open with hand-tools by an avg. burglar!

A real safe which a jewelry store would have, runs avg. $7000.00+

and those have to resist at least 1 hr. of trying to open, compared to 5 min.

I bought a safe with the electronic lock, and really love it, same batt. been in it for 1 yr. and i open it all the time.

Takes me 3 sec. and its open, if the battery, ever needs replacing, it has a cover on bottem of the pad! I talked to many lock-smiths and all said its harder to open an elec. than a dial! Best $150. extra for dial, that i ever spent!

Randys Pawn in Trenton, Ga. has the best selection in area and has huge sale usually 2X a yr. Best of luck! If you live in Tn. and buy from Randy, there is no Tax.

Your excessive use of exclamation points hurts my proverbial ears. :eek:

On my safe I think with a sawzall and a metal blade I could be get in it in way less than 5 min. And with the battery operated sawzalls that are available, that is really scary. Nothing is safe if someone wants it bad enough.

On my safe I think with a sawzall and a metal blade I could be get in it in way less than 5 min. And with the battery operated sawzalls that are available, that is really scary. Nothing is safe if someone wants it bad enough.

which brings up the point that if you own a sawzall the best place to store it is in the safe.

which brings up the point that if you own a sawzall the best place to store it is in the safe.

Thats a good Idea. But what do I do when I forget the combination?