22 Mag, opinions on rifle

I have the rimfire magnum bug bad. I plan to mostly use it for suppressed varmint hunting. I had a Ruger 77/17 in 17 HMR and liked the round but I had to pick and choose my days to shoot it based on wind. Plus, it was almost too nice to carry in the woods. I like what I've read/heard about the new 17 WSM but I don't like the B-Mag and don't plan to spend the money on another 77. Plus, Silencerco does not list 17 WSM for my sparrow. So, I've about decided on 22 mag. I plan to try some of the new polymer tipped 30gr rounds.

Now, I have to decide on which gun. I'm back and forth between the Magnum Research 10/22 mag and the Ruger American. MR does not sell a magnum with a threaded barrel, so I would have to get another barrel and after using a KIDD trigger in my 10/22, I would want a better trigger. The RAR comes with a threaded barrel but I don't like the stock, so I plan to get a Boyd stock. I've read that modifying the RAR trigger is fairly easy if I don't like it or I saw that Timney makes one for it.   

Any suggestions or opinions on the caliber or rifle to get? I know that using one of my 223 would be cheaper/possibly better route but I want a rimfire. I have looked at a Savage 93, and I just don't care for the magazine sticking out.

Edited by gomer pyle

not sure about one helping pick a suppressed model... but before you buy a rifle, I would suggest you buy up the ammo ... so you get a feel for how available it is lately.  Ive not seen 22M in any quantity in years, a box here and there at random... but not many...  its such a good round too, just hard to find at times.

• Like 1
I too love the 22 mag round and agree with a lot the assessments you have made. If you are going to suppress, I would stick bolt action, 22 mag semi autos can be picky enough, let alone having all that blowback that suppressor a create. Also, MR works off of gas block system to bleed the pressure, so a barrel change does not always work and not sure how the suppressor would affect the gas block.

I've owned and savage bull barrel that was a shooter and I regret selling. I sold because like you I didn't like the mag sticking out and it would stick me in the side walking in the woods from time to time.

I've always wanted a 77/22 mag, and they are so easy to customize and get shooting well, just was always worried about the money it may take to get it there. A stainless one with a boat paddle stock would be a great woods gun, but good luck finding one.

The RAR is by far going to be your best and most economical option IMHO. You can get flush fit 9 round mags and buy the barrel already threaded. While I can't speak first hand, they have had really good accuracy reviews from what I have read.

I just recently sold my CZ 512, and it was a great shooter and very realiable. I believe they have a tactical model that will come with a theaded barrel, but the mags aren't flush. Based on the way it fed, it would be the one semi I would recommend.
I'll be the stick in the mud.

First, by all means get what you want. If you don't, you will likely never be happy till you do. BUT, you'd be so far ahead if you went with a bolt action .223.
The .223 is one of those cartridges that just WANTS to shoot well. Achieving .22 magnum velocity is simple and quite economical. Find you a 1/9 at least or even a 12 twist barrel and you can load up some 35g varmint bullets to whatever velocity you want, from subsonic to deep into 3k+++
Finding .223? Not an issue. Finding .22 mag? Probably, but it's questionable. Edited by Caster
  • Admin Team

I love 22WMR.  Frankly the only reason I stick with it as opposed to doing exactly what Caster stated above is to have something with a little more oomph during our screwed up Rimfire Only portions of the season.  

Frankly, I'd love to go the other way on the 17WSM.  I'd like to start with that same .27 caliber nail gun blank and jam a bigger bullet in it instead of a smaller one.  Caster, maybe David could find us an appropriate powder.

The only problem with it would be my proclivity to shoot a hog in the neck with it during squirrel season...

Then don't even look at a centerfire. Life's short, then you're dead. The span between is too precious to waste on "settling" especially for something as small as this.

I would look at a CZ 455. You won't disappointed. CZ build nice rifles.
  • Like 3

Does anyone have a RAR in 22mag? Like it,hate it?

I've got one of the threaded versions and really like it.  It is a beater truck gun so the stock didn't bother me. 

It didn't want to feed reliably at first, but I cycled the bolt a hundred times and ran a box through it and it smoothed right up.  It's a nice, light package and sounds good with a suppressor.

I don't have a problem with the trigger on mine, but I have worked on them and they smooth out nicely with a little polishing.

I used the weaver #12 to mount a nikon 2-7

I've got one of the threaded versions and really like it. It is a beater truck gun so the stock didn't bother me.

It didn't want to feed reliably at first, but I cycled the bolt a hundred times and ran a box through it and it smoothed right up. It's a nice, light package and sounds good with a suppressor.

I don't have a problem with the trigger on mine, but I have worked on them and they smooth out nicely with a little polishing.

I used the weaver #12 to mount a nikon 2-7

Sounds good

I've got a Savage 93 in 22mag with the Weaver 2-7 rimfire scope. It's dead nuts to 100 yards with Winchester Super X. I do have a little trouble finding them. Before the internet told me I couldn't do it... I killed lots of hogs and a few coyotes with the .22mag. Mostly I use it for squirrel hunting. I like taking those longer range head shots. 

I guess you can suppress the .22mag, but I assume that it's just for shooter comfort, right? Certainly, I wouldn't think that a supersonic round like the .22mag would be the best option if you are looking for Hollywood quiet. 

Have you looked at the Kel-Tec RMR30 Carbine? Not sure how easy they are to get just yet. I have their PMR30 Pistol and have been very happy with it. There are reportedly some issues suppressing the PMR (haven't tried it), but I haven't heard yet if these issues carry over to the RMR as well. Has anyone out there been able to get their hands on one (RMR)?

Have you looked at the Kel-Tec RMR30 Carbine? Not sure how easy they are to get just yet. I have their PMR30 Pistol and have been very happy with it. There are reportedly some issues suppressing the PMR (haven't tried it), but I haven't heard yet if these issues carry over to the RMR as well. Has anyone out there been able to get their hands on one (RMR)?

autos let more sound out, is all.  a bolt will be quieter.