CZ Scorpion inititial thoughts.

TN-popo

So I just picked this up.  *I haven't fired it yet.*

11205587_1452196968417355_13740291005212

Overall, I think I'll like it, especially with the KAK Industries Arm Stabilizer.

A few gripes...some minor, some not.

1.  What everyone talks about with this gun...the Ambi-Safety.  CZ has been making great guns for a long time.  How this part made it from Design to Production is beyond me.  Anyway, easily fixable.

2.  Trigger.  Not great.  Maybe it will get better with use.  Nothing I can't work around, I guess.

3.  Mag Release.  A couple of things here.  One, I REALLY wish they had went with something closer to the AR design, but OK, I'll run it like an AK.  Two (and my more serious gripe), the mags will not reliably drop free when the bolt is locked back.  They will on a closed bolt, but not locked back.  So, traditional Emergency / Combat / Slide Lock-Back Reloads are out the window.

This is my biggest gripe about the gun.  If the mags dropped free when at lock-back, I could come up with a fresh mag, thumb (or trigger finger) the mag release, insert the fresh mag, run the bolt and press on.  

Alas, no.

Anyway, the gun feels good, the sights are great, mags are cheap, and who doesn't like the "MP5 charging handle slap?"   :)

This setup (minus the optic) cost me $999.99 OTD locally.

UPDATE:  Altered the safety...perfectly fine now...took 15 minutes.  Trigger?  No, it doesn't break like glass, but it has gotten better with use and proper lubrication.

Edited by TN-popo
  • Like 4

Congrats on the new gun!

Totally bada$$ gun...love to have one too. It's the only gun that I'd be willing to bend over for Uncle Sam for to get an SBR stamp.

Edited by BigK

So what's the deal with the safety?

The ambi safety is the same size on both sides.  They are good sized, which makes it easy to engage with your thumb, but then the opposing side digs into your trigger finger when put into "fire" mode.  Not very well thought out.  Supposedly, CZ is coming out with an option to delete if off on one side.  Not sure if the are any aftermarket fixes from other companies.

EDIT:  Looks like CZ has already come out with the ambi delete option, although I can't find it on their website.

Edited by Reservoir Dog
  • Like 1

I have been considering this purchase, as well.  Also looked at the MPX, but I think I will go with the CZ based on the price.

Hopefully, CZ can get in a steady supply of 30rd mags.

I had my heart set on the MPX.  But the constant delays and reported QC issues kinda soured me.

CZ's 30 rounders seem to be fairly plentiful and relatively cheap.

Also, the Scorpion's mags seem to be very well made.

The ambi safety is the same size on both sides.  They are good sized, which makes in easy to engage with your thumb, but then the opposing side digs into your trigger finger when put into "fire" mode.  Not very well thought out.  Supposedly, CZ is coming out with an option to delete if off on one side.  Not sure if the are any aftermarket fixes from other companies.

This.  

And, yes, both CZ and an aftermarket company offer options.  

I was going to buy one, but after watching this YouTube video, I'm just going to alter it myself and keep the Ambi capability.  Stupid simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkQxPXpLS1s

Edited by TN-popo
  • Like 1

The Scorpion has been on my want list for a bit now.  Only thing stopping me is the cost.  I wouldn't SBR it, just keep it as a pistol for versatility purposes.  For a 9mm, I could only see using it at 50yds max, more realistically 25 and in .  Why waste the time and money to SBR something I can shoot without a stock to shoulder well enough at that range?  There is also the wait you need to do for the 922r compliance kit before it's legal.

Put a decent red dot on top, load a full mag with JHP's and I think it's a great home defense weapon.

• 3 weeks later...