Dry aged beef at home.....

So, I was bored today and started looking into building a Dry age mini fridge. Looks pretty simple and straightforward. Anyone ever try to dry age beef at home before? Here is a link to the style I am looking at building. I am going to put an independent Temp and humidity gauge in the fridge too. From what I have read you have to age beef at least 21+ days to really tell a difference. If I can get a fridge built cheap enough I'm going to give it a shot.

http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11591

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You can go much fancier and set up a humidifier in the fridge and salt blocks to add to the effect but it can be pretty simple it seems. The key is keeping the temp at 34 and the humidity around 60 or so, the air flow helps too. Some people don't use fans but it seems like it is needed.

Edited by XxthejuicexX

You can go much fancier and set up a humidifier in the fridge and salt blocks to add to the effect but it can be pretty simple it seems. The key is keeping the temp at 34 and the humidity around 60 or so, the air flow helps too. Some people don't use fans but it seems like it is needed.

According to the guy in the link in the OP, the fan is to help discourage the formation of unwanted mold. Considering how easy it would be to set up a little fan in there with a small power supply, I'd say it's worth the added insurance, especially considering the price of a good slab of beef.

According to the guy in the link in the OP, the fan is to help discourage the formation of unwanted mold. Considering how easy it would be to set up a little fan in there with a small power supply, I'd say it's worth the added insurance, especially considering the price of a good slab of beef.

Is it a special fan that filters specific types of mold?  Aged beef grows mold on it and in a home environment I imagine it will grow a lot of it.

Aged beef is delicious, BTW.

Is it a special fan that filters specific types of mold? Aged beef grows mold on it and in a home environment I imagine it will grow a lot of it.

Aged beef is delicious, BTW.

Doesn't filter it. Mold grows better where there's stagnant air.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

I used to work in a grocery store while in high school circa 1970's and we routinely recieved half sides of beef we hung in avalable walk in cooler space for several days before the bitcher broke them down into varied cuts. It was a much better beef then compaired to now with steaks easily cut with a fork. Sigh. But FWIW it looks like wet-aged beef is a lot easier process and it also tastes much better too.

Never done it but have read lots about it. Heard if you don't cut it correctly after the aging you may never want to eat beef again. LOL

If you don't do it right you will know immediately. It will be sour and actually green. The fan just keeps are moving, no filter. My mom, who is a butcher :) used to have a guy work for her that would do a dry age in his fridge, not the greatest idea. He would only do it for 4-7 days but that's still dangerous because of multiple reasons. All this steak talk here and the other topic about steak going on I am having her cut me some 2" ribeyes that I plan on grilling this weekend.