Duck hunting in West TN?

I'm looking for some info on hunting ducks on the west side because i just get frustrated hunting them here on the east. We've hunted them in Arkansas a few seasons, but I'd like to stay in Tn if it's just as good (maybe better). I can't really get out there to do much scouting, and I'm just not sure of where to focus... which rivers, lakes, find a lease, etc. I submit for a blind drawing every year but never get one in the areas I'm after.

I have a duck boat, so that opens up options.

Are there places to go out there that are not loaded with more hunters than ducks that I don't have to win a drawing? How crowded is Kentucky and Reelfoot lakes? Is the Mississippi river the best option or smaller rivers? I'm not expecting anyone to give away their favorite spot or anything like that of course, just some general tips and suggestions.

Thanks Edited by Wingshooter

I don't hunt duck, but by the sounds of the gunshots while I'm deer hunting the area by the steam plant in Cumberland City I would say its rather full of ducks.  I am not sure if they are hunting at Guices creek rec area or maybe at yellow creek but I hear shots quite a bit.  Maybe someone who duck hunts in this area can chime in.

• Like 1

Thanks, I'll look at the islands. I have a 16' with a pop up blind that could handle the miss.

The MS is a sometimes very dangerous river. And most 16 foot boats won't handle it. You need to work on some W TN contacts. Most prime duck hunting has long been spoken for. May be able to find a lease. Very hard to free lance on Reelfoot. Best advice is a guide and this will increase your safety and bag.
  • Like 1

The MS is a sometimes very dangerous river. And most 16 foot boats won't handle it. You need to work on some W TN contacts. Most prime duck hunting has long been spoken for. May be able to find a lease. Very hard to free lance on Reelfoot. Best advice is a guide and this will increase your safety and bag.

Thanks. I've never navigated the MS river. I would use 16' War Eagle with blind but also have a 17' Boston Whaler. I'd much rather hunt fields or flooded timber, though. I have been looking for an affordable lease for 4-5 years out there. I passed on purchasing 40 acres of flooded duck timber at a great price a few years ago, and I've been kicking myself ever since :facepalm: Purchase or lease is ultimately what I want.

I could look at booking a guide. We've done that before, but we get more satisfaction out of doing our own thing. It's just going to be me, my dad, my brother and my son. In years past, we usually go to Arkansas for a few days. It would be easier this year for us to find something closer in TN.

How about Kentucky Lake... is it better for a DIY duck hunt or about the same as Reelfoot?

Then there is always just forgetting the WMA's and parking your duck boat at an island somewhere and duck hunt. I see that quite a lot.

Dave

That's actually what I had in mind if I don't draw a WMA hunt. I just want to go somewhere with more ducks than east TN has to offer, lol. I had thought about taking my duck boat to the Reelfoot area, but I don't want to go somewhere that's elbow-to-elbow hunters either.
The draws are all held on the same day across the state. 1st Saturday in August every year. That includes Dover Camden reel foot etc.

Reel foot is the premier public land in west TN. The clubs down there are extremely hard to get into and people have been hunting over there for generations.

Tigret out of Memphis is a pretty good.

Even if you don't draw a blind for the season you can blind hop. All of the regulations are posted on the twra site.

I've hunted all over southeast. Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Arkansas and I grew up hunting in the marsh and rice fields of south Louisiana from Texas to the atchafalaya. I have found nothing in this region of the country that compares to the flood timber of northern Louisiana and Arkansas.

Years ago Louisiana always had good numbers but with weather pattern changes and the amount of water that Missouri Illinois and Arkansas all now hold its not the same.

Outside of reelfoot and private land I've hunted...West Tn is no Arkansas but it's not bad either. I'll blind hop old hickory for fun once or twice a year but other than that I exclusively hunt in Arkansas and make a trip to my friends family land in Louisiana every year. Old hickory glory days are well in the rear view mirror.

If you don't know anyone that hunts out there, all you can do is get out there and blind hop. Maybe get at the launch and ask someone if you can tag along.

Get involved with the local DU and delta chapters in those locations.

good luck to you
  • Like 1

The draws are all held on the same day across the state. 1st Saturday in August every year. That includes Dover Camden reel foot etc.
Reel foot is the premier public land in west TN. The clubs down there are extremely hard to get into and people have been hunting over there for generations.
Tigret out of Memphis is a pretty good.
Even if you don't draw a blind for the season you can blind hop. All of the regulations are posted on the twra site.
I've hunted all over southeast. Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Arkansas and I grew up hunting in the marsh and rice fields of south Louisiana from Texas to the atchafalaya. I have found nothing in this region of the country that compares to the flood timber of northern Louisiana and Arkansas.
Years ago Louisiana always had good numbers but with weather pattern changes and the amount of water that Missouri Illinois and Arkansas all now hold its not the same.
Outside of reelfoot and private land I've hunted...West Tn is no Arkansas but it's not bad either. I'll blind hop old hickory for fun once or twice a year but other than that I exclusively hunt in Arkansas and make a trip to my friends family land in Louisiana every year. Old hickory glory days are well in the rear view mirror.
If you don't know anyone that hunts out there, all you can do is get out there and blind hop. Maybe get at the launch and ask someone if you can tag along.
Get involved with the local DU and delta chapters in those locations.
good luck to you

Thanks. I'll probably end up going to arkansas again this year. We always have a ton of fun there, but my schedule's tighter this year.

So, is it even possible to just launch my own boat on Reelfoot and hunt the public areas? Or is it just too crowded with all the clubs, blinds, boats, etc?
  • 2 weeks later...
Hunted KY lake a few times last year, not so busy with people. You get some space out there. Just outside Dover bottoms is public you can hunt, not busy there either just hard to get the birds down once they see the fake flocks in the actual bottoms. Can't speak on reel foot but Haynes bottom for duck isn't particularly the best option, better off putting that boat to use on KY lake and around the bay's at LBL
  • Like 1

Hunted KY lake a few times last year, not so busy with people. You get some space out there. Just outside Dover bottoms is public you can hunt, not busy there either just hard to get the birds down once they see the fake flocks in the actual bottoms. Can't speak on reel foot but Haynes bottom for duck isn't particularly the best option, better off putting that boat to use on KY lake and around the bay's at LBL

Great info, and your first post, too! Welcome to TGO!

I'll take a closer look at KY lake. :up:
  • Like 1